Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Islam Dress ban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Take a look Here

Well in my opinion School Dress Code should be adhered too. If this girl went to this school knowing the dress code then she should stick to it and if she didnt like the dress code then go to a school where you can wear what you like.

Our School has a strict dress code and you have to wear what they say, if not its too the Head Teachers office and basically wear the uniform or you are gonna be suspended........end off.

What do you people think ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that it's petty to deny a girl education cause of her clothes. It isn't as if she's going naked. She's covering up!
    It does happen Jaqueline. My Daughters school has a strict dress code and you must wear uniform, if you dont its home time.

I agree with school uniform for the simple reason if everyone wears the same then some of the poorer kids are not going to get picked on because they dont have all the latest designer labels on their clothes.

Also wearing the uniform makes everyone alike with no competition. I understand this girls beliefs but in all honesty if she knew about the dress code then she cant come complaining now. If children are given a dres code for school then regardless of religion they should stick to it, you cannot make exceptions for one child.
    Yes you can, when it's religious and doesn't affect anyone as she isn't exactly walking to school showing her thong to the world and in a boobtube that slides down every third second.

Schooluniforms are shit in my opinion. It's laying rules on an area that has nothing to do with the actual education. As long as the kids dont go to school showing their ass and pre-pubescent chest to the world, then it's cool.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Schooluniforms are shit in my opinion.

and your entitled to your opinion, but at the end of the day rules are rules and everyone has to stick to them. One person gets away with breaking the rules and before you know more people break rules........not a good thing in my opinion.

Got to agree with you about wearing certain clothes, some kids think they are on a fashion parade. But if their school does not have a dress code then its up to them, id much rather see uniforms compulsary in every school.
    Some rules as no drink when driving, are there to seriously protect us.
    But clothes restrictions of the kind where a girl isn't allowed to cover up, are moronic.

School-uniforms do not exist in Denmark (apart from at this boarding-school), and I don't think we're missing out.
    Kids are smart enough not to make fun of people cause of the fact that their peers can't afford certain labels or whatever. Though they will laugh when they see something funny.
    Kids are smart enough not to make fun of people cause of the fact that their peers can't afford certain labels or whatever.

Not here. I strongly disagree with what you are saying, ask most of the teenagers here still at school and they will back me up ( I hope), but if you dont have the branded name then kids take the piss. Ive seen it myself and kids can be cruel.
    Then the kids there are stupid. And haven't been taught values at home, which is the root of the problem.
    A good example of “public goods” dilemma.
    A private school (in ideal) may make any dress code it wishes, even to allow girls to go naked ( it would be not a bad school, what do you think?:)) The right to make decisions and responsibility for it like losses created by bad decisions belong to the same person. If he wants very strict dress code ( girls wearing burkas for example) he loses students and their parents’ money.
    In state school as in every state-owned business rights and responsibilities are divided. Bureaucrats make decisions but not they but the public bears costs. And any decision, good or bad, creates victims among consumers of public goods but never among decision-makers.
    Originally posted by LabRat
    And any decision, good or bad, creates victims among consumers of public goods but never among decision-makers.

Aint that life though, you win some you lose some. There are rules and regulations in almost anything we do, follow the rules or else. The decision makers are always right........even when they are in the wrong.
    At my university for exams no form of hats or headwear is permitted unless it is for religious or medical reasons.

In my maths exam an Indian guy in the row next to me had a turban and a long beard and the exam invigulators went up to him and asked him if it was for medical or religious reasons or if the "headwear" was merely for fashion. Seemed like an odd question. But UCL are very anal about everything.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I agree with school uniform for the simple reason if everyone wears the same then some of the poorer kids are not going to get picked on because they dont have all the latest designer labels on their clothes.
    Here yes.

But in some countries it's the richer kids that can afford the uniform.

Some of the children where I lived in Brazil were excluded from school for the very fact that they did not have the uniform because they couldn't afford it. This is so stupid as education is the way out of poverty for a lot of people and by excluding poor children from school the poverty cycle will not be broken.

I also did a project in a school in Botswana in Africa in 2000 and there whilst they didn't exclude pupils who couldn't afford the uniform, it was more a status symbol to have it than not to!
    i think if a school is supposed to be secular or one religion ie CoE, no form of religious wear or that isnt that religion which breaks the unifrom should be worn unless it soemthing that could be worn underneath ie some kind of neckwear or bracelet is worn

i swear the hajab or 'ninja suits' as some people (who happen to be muslim themselves) i know refer to them as, they are purely cultural interpeetations of the religion which their countries have as tradition and are imposed more than religrions sake, ie so they should be disallowed if they break uniform rules
    Our school has a strict dress code but they always made allowances for religious observance, so girls who weren't allowed short skirts wore long ones or trousers and lots of girls wore headscarves. The school should have made allowances for this girl.
    a flexible uniform works, but having no uniform for some and uniform for others, and there has to be limit on changes for religion, but they should exist in the uniform anyway, like a choice for trousers, or long or not too short skirts, or a jumper or blazer

head scarves im really unsure aobut, as well i could cite i have my own religion which has really odd requiremnts so its a bit debatle, id leave it to discetion of school and parent governers have final say
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    At my university for exams no form of hats or headwear is permitted unless it is for religious or medical reasons.

In my maths exam an Indian guy in the row next to me had a turban and a long beard and the exam invigulators went up to him and asked him if it was for medical or religious reasons or if the "headwear" was merely for fashion. Seemed like an odd question. But UCL are very anal about everything.

That's got nothing to do with dresscode, but to do with cheating.
    I've always thought that school uniform made perfect sense.
    It makes everyone equal and it's cheaper than having 5 different outfits a week and kids WILL definately get the piss taken out of them if their own clothes are cheap.
    Where as you can buy second hand uniforms which poorer parents can afford. I had 2nd hand stuff and was glad I wore uniform because I wouldn't want to compete with other kids who might have designer labels etc.
    Why does she have to wear a jilbab dress? Do the other Muslim girls wear them?
    How come kids in so many other countries can survive without being cruel regarding their peers lack of designer-labels (also in such a small age I seriously doubt that they walk around with Dior, unless their parents are loaded. And that's not the case of every second parent).
    When I was 13 I more concerned about fashionable clothes than I am now, purely because of everyone else.
    Their parents don't have to be loaded for their kids to have designer labels but just slightly better off/they spoil their kids.
    Kids are cruel because they haven't grown up yet.
    I am completely serious when I say that if kids at the age of 12 and above judge their peers on what they might not have, then something has gone wrong with the education recieved at home.
    I am completely serious when I say that if kids at the age of 12 and above judge their peers on what they might not have, then something has gone wrong with the education recieved at home.

A lot of kids poke fun at other kids and bully in general,
    I wouldn't say that this is because parents aren't bringing them up correctly, unless you think parents should be ultra strict. If you have a particular nasty bully then you point the finger at parents however.
    My mom would have killed me. And when my dad found out, he'd kill me all over again.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    A lot of kids poke fun at other kids and bully in general,
    I wouldn't say that this is because parents aren't bringing them up correctly, unless you think parents should be ultra strict. If you have a particular nasty bully then you point the finger at parents however.

I didn't bully people at school Because I had self respect and my parent taught me not to.
    Parents are the most influential people in a childs life and so they should take some responsibility!
    Originally posted by byny

Parents are the most influential people in a childs life and so they should take some responsibility!

Yes i agree but thats the responsible parents, but how many irresponsible parents are there ?

Children can be cruel and they are cruel when it comes to picking on other kids, especially because they are not wearing the latest Reebok trainers which cost their parents two weeks wages to purchase.
    If all children are made to wear uniform and have to wear proper shoes then it does curb some of the bullying. All the children are alike and nobody gets picked on.
    Once the rules have been made of what is acceptable in a school regarding clothing then the rule must be stuck too. Like any kid give them any leighway and they will strart breaking every rule in the book.
    Consistency in any kids life is a must so if you say something then stick to it and NEVER make exceptions, because if you do then you are opening the gates for every rule to be broke.

This girls parents must have known the rule about uniform when she went to the school, if they knew that she couldnt abide by the rules because of her religion or whatever the case then she should never have enrolled there in the first place.
    Thats what I mean - if they are iresponsible parents their children will behave badly....
    Thats what I mean - if they are iresponsible parents their children will behave badly....

oh ok then..........it is early for me :blush:

Well you're never going to be without a percentage of iresponsible parents in this country.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    It does happen Jaqueline. My Daughters school has a strict dress code and you must wear uniform, if you dont its home time.

Also wearing the uniform makes everyone alike with no competition. I understand this girls beliefs but in all honesty if she knew about the dress code then she cant come complaining now. If children are given a dres code for school then regardless of religion they should stick to it, you cannot make exceptions for one child.

Very well but seeing as Muslim dress is not 'fashionable' or expencve to any degree than it does nopt violate the principle of the scholl uniform so what is wrong?

Blind rule following for the sake of it is pointless.......
    Islamaphobia at its worst.

wheres the ban on Seikh turbans:confused:
    If this girl wanted to cover up, what is wrong with the standard shalwar kameez thing the school permitted, which also covers up? why did she feel the need to be different? My school allowed Muslim pupils to wear trousers under their skirts if they wanted.

I'm not trying to be funny, but she just seems to be trying to make a statement.

a uniform is there for a reason.
    Well she is a fifteen year old girl, not renowned for their lack of obstinance.....

Just seems pointless, if the principle of the unifrom is as BB suggested above, to avoid bullying etc along fashion/expense grounds then her wearing this other dress doesn't violate it.

This is just blind rule following which is stupid.....