Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

coming out partys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my best mate has jsut told me that he's bi, can i still though a coming out party for him? he's just spilt with my other best mate so at the mo he's very down, and right now is not a great time but how could i go this if it still applys.....

thanks

Luby

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't mean this in any way offensive, but why a party over sexuality? I never got a party when i found out i was straight.
    Originally posted by my_name
    I never got a party when i found out i was straight.
    i want a party.
    think this is enough of an excuse?
    well ok i get your point but it's a big thing for him, and it's a great opertunity to tell everyone.
    A coming out party? :confused: Am I the only one to think of this as a totaly weird concept? I just don't understand the whole idea of having a party because somebody's gay/bi?
    Well I guess it's different when your sexuality means that you have to tell people because they all assume you're something you're not.

I dunno I never made a big deal of coming out, but then I wasn't proud of being gay. If your friend wants to make a big deal out of it, then maybe it's a good idea. But if you just want to make him feel special, why not just have a party for him, for no occasion. Isn't that more flattering?
    Better then getting a kick in and called a queer boy i guess! :p
    What if friend in question doesn't want the whole world to know? In my eyes, you'll be making a spectacle - "come and see soandso, half way to queerdom" "congrats mate, you're nearly a proper fairy"

I've seen it happen before, so if you go ahead with it atleast check.
    This is possibily the most ridiculous idea I ever heard.
    People have coming out parties? :eek2:
    es muy estupido

c'est stupide

it's stupid

get the idea?
    Originally posted by Xila
    I've seen it happen before, so if you go ahead with it atleast check.
    Yeah, comes back to what I was saying. If he's not proud of his sexuality, or he doesn't see the need to tell anyone it could just backfire.
    Ok, maybe I was a tad rude, but he's either going to be genuanley bi which means he might be a little embarressed or whatever - so wouldn't want a party. Or he might be doing it for attention which means your just making any possible situation worse.

Maybe you could just invite a couple of mates around and have an orgy:rolleyes:
    :/
    I guess its more of a relief thing as the named person who possibly lived in secret prior to this is now able to act themselves and no prance around in secret.. Living a lie can be a pain in the arse, finally letting all those around you know would raise a great weight off your shoulders!

I'd check with him to make sure he's happy about it all, remember whilst him and you are comfortable with the whole situation it doesn't necessairly mean that others will be. Whilst someones sexual orientation/habits shouldn't be other peoples business, many treat or act differently around someone when it becomes public knowledge.. :)
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Yeah, comes back to what I was saying. If he's not proud of his sexuality, or he doesn't see the need to tell anyone it could just backfire.

I hope he's not proud of it. Those people annoy the fuck outta me ;[
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    We threw a party for a mate of mine when he came out of the nick.

...this is stupid though.
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    I hope he's not proud of it. Those people annoy the fuck outta me ;[
    In what way Kiezo? How do they annoy you?
    Originally posted by Justin Sane

I think he means when they are all *frails wrists* and squeaky voice and what not.
    Ahhh.. the over-the-top gay thing, like Brian from B-Brother or Carson from Queer Eye? I find that good fun, gay clubs are great.. everyone dancing over the top to Atomic Kitten or Abba!

Laugh a minute! Who cares what everyone else thinks :lol:;)
    like Brian from B-Brother

I :heart:ed him.
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Me too, I thought he'd win from day 1 - that was probably the only time I really followed BB, I also wanted him to hook up with that other gay/bi guy.. but never mind!

LOL.. what a great series.. and there was that girl who went "OHH MY GWAAAARD" all the time!
    Me too, I thought he'd win from day 1 - that was probably the only time I really followed BB, I also wanted him to hook up with that other gay/bi guy.. but never mind!

LOL.. what a great series.. and there was that girl who went "OHH MY GWAAAARD" all the time!

Heh, Jade. >:[

Or was it Helen? :/
    Heh, Jade. >:[

Or was it Helen? :/
    It was definately the lovely Welsh blonde Helen who was in the house during series two.

Jade was in series three.

In the fact that they throw it in your face, with the OTT campness etc. I've got a few gay friends, and I have absolutely no problem with them, but even they hate the overly camp guys.

Noone cares about their sexuality, whatever it may be. Just because people are fine with it, doesn't mean they want to be reminded of it every two minutes.

Is that the cunt who said the first thing he'd buy was an organ for his local church? Thank fuck he's on Orkney is all I can say.
    I don't mean this in any way offensive, but why a party over sexuality? I never got a party when i found out i was straight.

Good point
    Hey, so can I tell everyone I'm gay, have a party, then a few weeks later tell everyone I'm straight and have another party? I'm kinda liking the idea of people throwing and paying for parties for me every time I decide what sexuality I am...

Argh, I knew someone would say that.

It's because being anything other than masculine (for guys) and feminine (for girls) is still seen as being wrong in so many circles these days.

As much as some of you seem to want gay people to just shut up, be quiet and be gay, people have every right to celebrate whatever the fuck they want about themselves, and if it gets on your nerves, you need to lighten the fuck up.

And another point, sometimes boys are just naturally effeminate, naturally emotional, and that's just the way they are. Shame some people seem to damn bigoted to realise that not everything that way is done for effect. Not everyone fits into a stereotype, like some of you seem to think.

Easy to stand up and say "I aint homophobic", but some of you act like bigoted twats at times :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    some of you act like bigoted twats at times :rolleyes:

OOH! Pot, kettle..nooooir.

:p

If it is such a big deal to your mate then have a shin dig..but wasn't a change of sexuality something you face up to head on, and tell people in confidence rather than making a big deal out of it and have everything circulate around you?

However I do agree with people. It does seem a litte OTT, and redundant; but I dunno your mate's situation.
    Originally posted by 1983
    OOH! Pot, kettle..nooooir.

Gonna expand on that with valid, well thought out, reasoning?

Nah, thought not.