Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

so what's your 'hook' -- my view.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have an analogy on mental health that is explained by using an analogy to a school of fish... well, i'd like to share it now...

there's a school of fish, all swimming in unison.. you ever seen a big school of fish swimming in groups? it's gorgeous. anyway, one of the fish in the school is not swimming with the group.. he's swimming eratically, making strange movements, acting very out of place.. thusly, he is distanced from the other fish.. either he thrashes away from them or they move away from him because he's thrashing about.. none of the fish know why he is behaving like this.. they assume he has lost his mind.. if they had the ability, maybe they would try to tranquilize the fish.. sedate him so he behaves normally... this may work.. what's actually happening? well the fish has a hook stuck in his mouth....

see, it is typical of our society not to remove the "hook" from our minds, but to sedate them.. to use chemicals to numb the pain or to take our minds off of it.. but the hook is still there, and, arguably, the long it's there, the more damage it could do. so, this idea is to work to remove the hook.. that is true healing... not numbness through chemicals... that's the easiest path, of course. what a great philosophy. so.. what is your hook? and how do you remove it? how deep is it lodged into your jaw? does it rip through your face? is it killing you?

are you bleeding to death, mentally?

anyway, i don't mean to be a 'downer'.. just wanted to see what you think.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    very deep man!

BUT i do understand your anology. however its not always easy to remove the hook and its not always a case of sedation. your hook might be a health issue which is outwith your control so we are given methods to cope with it and get through it and sadly that might mean anti depressants.
    if it was so easy to get rid of the "hook" then all those who have suffered depression would, i think!
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I'm confused :confused:
    Sometimes the hook has a barb and cannot be removed without causing serious damage - the chemicals make the fish act normally for a while - rather than killing it
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Eee, charming... a lovely thought for the evening indeed.
    Re: so what's your 'hook' -- my view.
    Originally posted by dep

are you bleeding to death, mentally?
    Probably.
    let me tell you, i love the sedation. i find it much better than being fixed anyways ;)
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    very deep man!

BUT i do understand your anology. however its not always easy to remove the hook and its not always a case of sedation. your hook might be a health issue which is outwith your control so we are given methods to cope with it and get through it and sadly that might mean anti depressants.
    if it was so easy to get rid of the "hook" then all those who have suffered depression would, i think!

true.. it doesn't account for chemical imbalance, either... but it does catch some of the root of much mental despair. true enough.
    Originally posted by my_name
    let me tell you, i love the sedation. i find it much better than being fixed anyways ;)

i stick to self-medication ;)
    dep ...your turning out to be an interesting guy ...i like your thinking.
    i have had a few of those barbed hooks. all removed with patience and some outside help where needed.
    i no longer have any issuse at all in my life to deal with ...a little oil ...(alcohol) and a good measure of herbs ...i'm happy ...content and living ...and i mean realy living ...a balanced and healthy life ...physicaly, spiritualy and mentaly.
    oh i could add so much more ...but i'm gonna save it for another day.
    this place ...is where i can be eccentric and foolish ....
    life is good.
    and the universe is unfolding exactly as it should ...
    Originally posted by dep
    i stick to self-medication ;)

well of course, perscribed meds aint fun at all :p
    Re: so what's your 'hook' -- my view.

edited because I didn't write this message.
    I think someone got into my account
    I thought that once a fish had a hook in its mouth it normally ended up being beaten with a stick?
    I'd love to see the other fish try and stop that :lol:
    edited because I didn't write this either
    I've seen some very interesting footage of group fish who have been given LSD.

If you give one of the fish in the group the dose they wont swim with the others and in the end their erratict moves annoy the other fish into attacking it.

I'm not sure what that has to do with depression though.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    dep ...your turning out to be an interesting guy ...i like your thinking.
    i have had a few of those barbed hooks. all removed with patience and some outside help where needed.
    i no longer have any issuse at all in my life to deal with ...a little oil ...(alcohol) and a good measure of herbs ...i'm happy ...content and living ...and i mean realy living ...a balanced and healthy life ...physicaly, spiritualy and mentaly.
    oh i could add so much more ...but i'm gonna save it for another day.
    this place ...is where i can be eccentric and foolish ....
    life is good.
    and the universe is unfolding exactly as it should ...

i'm glad to hear it. i think that puts you into a stunning minority. most people who feel this way are disillusioned (they don't know any better or haven't questioned their happiness.. ignorance is bliss for them), but you seem to know what you feel and, having seen both sides of the spectrum, can know and appreciate your happiness. cheers to that!

dep