Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sky drops even lower.

I dont know how many of you get Sky, but there was a program on on Saturday night which was really nasty, even for Sky.

The title was 'How Gay are You?' and the advert for the show included the line, 'face cream, well thats just gay in a jar'

Truely even for Murdock this was a nasty piece of work.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen the ads for it with that twat with a perm. Pathetic stereotyping really...
  • Options
    Personally I think its beyond pathetic, its offencive and confirms in me that Murdock and anyone who works for him should be hunted with rabid dogs.

Its physically discusting that he holds such sway in this country. I mean, coming over here, sponging all our newspapers, lowering the tone of the place, diluting our culture, how DARE HE?!
  • Options
    He's the second most powerful man in Britain. That's the sad truth.

He's also a rabid homophobe and god-botherer. Though that does not stop him from putting naked women in his newspapers. Money before God.

He is a tax dodger who pays a small fraction in taxes of what he should be paying to this country. He's also a foreigner who doesn't live here yet he thinks he should dictate how this country is run.

His TV channels are utter shite anyway.
  • Options
    Thats not the point though is it, The Sun is shite too but its the most widely read paper in the UK.

Free speech certainly has its drawbacks.
  • Options
    Anyone seen Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?

Gotta be one of the worst most stereotypical programs ever...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Personally I think its beyond pathetic, its offencive and confirms in me that Murdock and anyone who works for him should be hunted with rabid dogs.
    Queer Eye... is just as bad. It's offensive to all concerned and stereotypes gay and straight men.
  • Options
    I'm bi, and I take these programmes with a pinch of salt anyway.

None of it seems to be deliberately offensive to me, I think it's done in a light-hearted way, and I personally would never find any of it offensive at all.

Stereotypes are just that - sterotypes. I know that not all gay men don't ponce about all day making daisychains and buying designer shoes, and that's enough for me.

Most people nowadays are stereotyped in one way or another, and I think the average viewer would be able to tell the difference between a light hearted poke (!) here and there, and full out blatant homophobia.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    Excuse me whilst I fail to be disgusted.

It's no more offensive than a lot of things; I'm personally offended by Linda Barker (enough to put my foot through the TV in fact), but so it goes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    He's the second most powerful man in Britain. That's the sad truth.
    Out of interest who do you consider to be the first?
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Who is the current PM?:lol:
  • Options
    I hate Murdoch's empire as much as anyone, but I think "How Gay are You?" was meant to be tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    Will most Sky watchers understand that though, or will they just see it as another representation of those 'poofy' gays which are just an object of ridicule?
  • Options
    I haven't seen the programme but the message I got from the promotional ads was to the tune of: "whatever happened to real, straight men! We're all using facial creams and looking after ourselves better now- we must be fucking poofters!"

That is a world of difference from what Queer Eye is all about. Again, the programme itself could send different vibes but that was the impression I got from the ads.
  • Options
    Well Queer Eye for a Straight Guy just seems really patronising to all those involved, especially the gay blokes.

This, as you say Aladdin seems to be nastier. Obviously there is a serious issue over the modern male role in society and how that is changing, but frankly I doubt a show on Sky 1 would do this topic justice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I think the average viewer would be able to tell the difference between a light hearted poke (!) here and there, and full out blatant homophobia.
    That's true, actually, it's only a small minority who actually believe all men who use face cream are gay or all gay women wear Doc Martens. It just seems silly to encourage the strereotypes re: sexuality that's aren't tolerated in relation to race or something. You wouldn't be allowed to have "Black Eye for the White Guy" would you?