Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

positive discrimination

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh and I've done a search and looks likethe story that is being bandied about is from the Daily Mail (Surprise!!) from 1995!

and it was lambeth not Hackney or Harringey
    Oh and I've done a search and looks likethe story that is being bandied about is from the Daily Mail (Surprise!!) from 1995!

What story are you referring to

in the nature of anecdote, it's impossible to give names, dates, places without running into libel

Scotch-terriers like Blagsta should know that and yip elsewhere
    You're making it up. We know that and you know that, so just admit it.
    Don't talk bollocks, ladymuck (I know it must be hard for you but you can do it) - the article is freely available to me on a newspaper search in work ...

the storry was headlined 'The rotten borough: £50m scandal of corruption and incompetenceby the loony left' 29.07.1995.

I guess the BNP are struggling for up to date stories..

the rag-trade one was also Daily Mail and refered to a job advert that asked for a Lesbian preferably from the Greek or Turkish community as these were under-represented.

I can find anything you want me too.....Of course The BNP site would probably have them all but the newspaper articles are a safer bet!
    Blagsta

yipyipyipyiypyipyip
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Blagsta

yipyipyipyiypyipyip

NEXT!
    byny, like you'd know one thing about Loony Left London Boroughs living as you do in Cambria??

Tell us some stories of Lambeth then, i'm sure you can find them
    DO you know what Cambria is??
    I live in Wales...I used to live in London

so what - I still read, I am still aware......Or am I not supposed to show an interest because I live in wales!! Weirdo!!

Really scraping the barrel now....
    wales, not that I give one
    and it was lambeth not Hackney or Harringey

lambeth such a Greek or Turkish area, sure

What do you know, you're on a pc well away from what I was describing
    Tell us some stories of Lambeth then, i'm sure you can find them

Lambeth council are notoriously corrupt, thats well known. There is also a camapign against institutional racism within Lambeth council at the moment.

But what that has to do with your made up stories, I haven't a fucking scooby to be honest. :confused::confused:
    wales, not that I give one

lambeth such a Greek or Turkish area, sure

What do you know, you're on a pc well away from what I was describing

Come on then ladymuck, post a link.
    Byny, I gave some anecdotes, you incorrectly associated them with lambeth stories from an unknown media source

If you have your finger so much on the pulse about London matters why don't you post your links or maybe admit you know not of what you post
    We're waiting.
    so am I
    Come on ladymuck, stop stalling. Or haven't you got a leg to stand on?
    Blagsta
    Or haven't you got a leg to stand on?

2 in fact

read my previous post, scottie
    I read it. It confirms my suspicions that you're full of shit.
    All you can ever come up with are "anecdotes". Convenient eh?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK.

Whos gunna police that then? the same police that got in because of it?!

I also think that if people like ladymuch are going to get into these kinds of arguments its time she ante up and show some evidence.
    Its illegal according to the Race Relations Act.

I agree that it could cause resentment, but I also think that the ethnic and cultural makeup of public bodies should reflect the ethnic and cultural makeup of the community they serve and make decisions for. Otherwise they will not be able to do the best job that they can.
    I also think that the solution is to tackle the root causes of why certain sections of the community are reluctant to join the police and other public organisations.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I also think that the solution is to tackle the root causes of why certain sections of the community are reluctant to join the police and other public organisations.

I agree, I think making it easier for people to get the job depending on there race/sex is a short turm solution to get figures up. They still need to tackle the underlying problems concerning racism and sexism.
    Blagsta
    Otherwise they will not be able to do the best job that they can.

wtf:confused::lol:
    I knew you wouldn't understand that. :rolleyes:

How can organisations such as the police, local councils etc serve their local community in the best way possible if they don't have people working for them who understand the specific issue and needs of those people? If people have no idea what other peoples experiences of life are, how can they make the best decisions?
    how can you call that 'positive' discrimination?? I see it simply as discrimination, against whoever is seen as not 'typically' a minority group.

in fact, i reckon our society's gonna just turn around and start discriminating white, heterosexual people etc soon.

I don't see why everyone can't just stop discriminating altogether, surely our society's come so far now that there shouldn't be an issue. Or if not, then we're well on our way, so positive discrimination would just scramble things up and make it worse.

As far as I can see, my generation is growing up in a society where racism is not an issue, we will teach that to our kids, and so on.... so hopefully in the future the problem will be resolved.

edited: spelling
    Maybe we should be looking more towards what different cultures, sexualities, religions ect have in common instead of differentiating them by giving some groups extra benefits in the job market.

It's only gonna piss people off more and cause tension in my opinion.
    I think its wrong to be honest, putting someone into a job because of the colour of the skin etc. and not because they deserve it - pos. discrimination is still discrimination - judging by prejudices - and all discrimination is wrong in my opinion
    Byny, I gave some anecdotes, you incorrectly associated them with lambeth stories from an unknown media source

If you have your finger so much on the pulse about London matters why don't you post your links or maybe admit you know not of what you post

SO sorry for the delay Ladymuck - I had left work, then had rowing practice. Unfortunately if I post the links they won't work as they are from a professional newspaper database I only have access to in work and without a password you can't get onto them. I can however post the whole thing tomorrow as a copy and paste jobbie. What it's supposed to prove though is beyond me. The articles are genuine stories from the British press.

Post yours too if you can.

My point was that someone is feeding you anecdotes and you are passing them off as fact without reading the original articles first. Who can be so silly as to do that eh? But, hey, I guess they have found their target audience in you!?
    People are not put into jobs purely on the colour of their skin, no matter what ladymuck would have us believe.
    byny
    My point was that someone is feeding you anecdotes and you are passing them off as fact without reading the original articles first. Who can be so silly as to do that eh? But, hey, I guess they have found their target audience in you!?

Don't patronise me you hayseed, the instances I related are from N. London but then you probably don't know that there's a N/S to London, outside of your valley they're using the wheel doncha know