Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Marajuana and Mental Health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if I posted this before..

Just thought some of you might be interested..

Clicky click

Phil

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's really odd :shocking:
    it didn't realy say very much did it.
    i've been smoking this shit for 36 years and i function very well thankyou.
    in fact the word function is the word i overuse the most. my wife says that on my tombstone she's going to have engraved ...'ceased functioning.'
    i interact with the big wide world very sucsessfukluy thankyou.
    21st century schizoid man ...sok ...just a song by king crimson ...
    Of course it causes problems for some people, its not very surprising. I get quite annoyed by the people who see it as a totally harmless drug which could cure all the worlds ills.

THC is a strong drug, and if used when someone is depressed or by someone who has a history of mental illness it can cause problems. And as with any drug it can be addictive and can be used in a harmful escapist way.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you want some more information have a look on the MIND website (type cannabis in to the search) or click on one of these links -
    A paper from cannabis.net, New Scientist, and mentalhealthcare.org.

As you can see if you read through some of these articles, the link is suspected between cannabis and schizophrenia, particularly with susceptible people, but the research has been quite contentious. I don't think you can discount it altogether though.
    The problem is the difference between causation and corellation.

Just because the two things are linked does NOT mean one leads to the other.

For example.

Most heroin users probably started their experiments with drugs by using caffine. So, there is a link between caffine and heroin. BUT, does caffine lead onto heroin addiction, no.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The problem is the difference between causation and corellation.

Just because the two things are linked does NOT mean one leads to the other.

I agree. But at the same time, someone who has a history of mental health problems in their family would be well advised to take that in to consideration when deciding whether to indulge. They haven't done enough research yet to come to a conclusion one way or the other.
    When i first started smoking cannabis i didnt get the fear ever. It was only after i took pills that i started getting it when i smoked.
    First it was just when i smoked, then (as i took more pills) it began to happen when i was straight, or after heavy drinking.

Im feeling much better now :D but i still occasionally get it even when im straight.

Its a weird sensation, physical anxiety, with that adrenaline stomach sensation you get like you're just about to go over the crest of a rollercoaster. usually though its as a reaction (e.g: im afraid of something so my body reacts) whereas with this its the reverse (physical symptoms, then brain starts searching for possible reasons like 'You're hearts gonna stop, theres a tumor in your brain, theres a poisonous gas that you cant smell thats going to kill you' blah blah ridiculously paranoid shit like that.

Anyway sometimes (not so much anymore) but it used to come on even if i thought about smoking pot.

At first it used to come on every single time after i ate a large meal:confused:

Certain things (to one degree or another) have influenced it coming on, such as:

*Gloomy days (not a huge factor but sunlight seems to have an effect on my mood, and mood seems to be directly linked to the presense or potential for anxiety).

*After a night of heavy drinking (again not so much anymore)

*Lack of exercise

i hope this has added something otherwise that was a horrendous waste of paper!...........wait a minute :eek2: ................... :D
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    I agree. But at the same time, someone who has a history of mental health problems in their family would be well advised to take that in to consideration when deciding whether to indulge. They haven't done enough research yet to come to a conclusion one way or the other.

Of course LadyJade, I wasnt suggesting that there is no evidence to suggest that smoking lots when young is bad. I was just suggesting that this research is not quite as black and white as they are suggesting.

Is it a mind set to begin with or is it the cannabis causing it? 6 of one and half a dozen of the other if you ask me.
    Of course LadyJade, I wasnt suggesting that there is no evidence to suggest that smoking lots when young is bad. I was just suggesting that this research is not quite as black and white as they are suggesting.

Is it a mind set to begin with or is it the cannabis causing it? 6 of one and half a dozen of the other if you ask me.

Agree again. We are basically saying the same thing, I'm just saying it an a mod stylee way.
    Yeah, well, if I was paid to be a Mod (hint hint) then I'd dig up swanky websites and use long words too.
    Yeah, well, if I was paid to be a Mod (hint hint) then I'd dig up swanky websites and use long words too.

:lol: What long words??
    "consideration", "conclusion" and "altogether"

You consistently use elongated words to expound upon your theories and to substantiate your acumen.
    :lol:
    I thank you!!

I'll be here all week, try the pot roast!
    Cheeky git.
    Hehe - Kids, come on, stop acting up :p

Ooh, guess what.. Two weeks ago Sunday I decided to try and quit smoking, I quit for a week.. Last week I smoked average 1 1/2 fags a day.. then I've tried to knock it all on the head again this week...

I'm still havin a joint in the night but I've quit drinking lager this week for now, and eating butter.. I've been exercising too.. lol

Needs to be done I think though !
    Well done mate. Keep going with it. I know it was a real bitch when I gave up smoking and I wasnt even that much of a smoker. (10-15 camels a day).
    It's still going well.

I smoked a couple fags today because I had to go under the tattooists needle for 2 1/2 hours straight (owww !!)

I didn't smoke all week tho
    The longer you go without the better it is.

And ouch! for the tatoo, what were you having done?
    One of my relatives has schizophrenia - she was also a child of the 60's. The doctors put it down to substance use/abuse....

Ilora x
    Not being a doctor I couldnt make an outright judgement, but the causes of the disease are somewhat unknown.

To put it down to one cause alone is somewhat shakey.
    Lets just say that she didn't stop taking drugs after the 60's were over....

My mum's a nurse, and she backs up the idea that weed can bring cause psychosis. She's always warning me about the 'dangers' of using weed bless her :)

Ilora x
    Oh, certainly it can. I think there is little doubt about that. But by how much and why is another matter altogether.

What I was questioning was how you can link an illness which doesnt have a definate cause to anything really. Whats to say she wouldnt have got it anyway?

But then if she'd been caining high doses of acid left right and centre along with a fist full of other things the chances are that it didnt help.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I can handle Class A's but not Puff.

Weed makes me think too much and I get serioulsy paranoid sometimes unless I've had a few beers first. It wasn't always liek that though. :(
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh, your probably getting weed with coke on it, or maybe acid. That happens quite often you know.
    Originally posted by J
    I'm sure it can cause schizophrenia because I started to get the symptoms after smoking weed and ecstasy, having said that it's a disease of the mind and I believe it can be cured using natural techniques. I still smoke it every now and then, although I guess I am using myself as a guinea pig in my own research which is extremely risky. I spoke to a psychiatrist this morning as it goes, about my condition, and nearly ended up having to stay in the psychiactric wing of the hospital for observation, having said that I didn't really have an opportunity for academic discussion which I would find very interesting and may have proved valuable information for the medical proffesion.
    Unfortunately I need my sanity to be able to do something about my findings, I'm thinking of writing a paper soon but I have no idea where to start, I've never written such a thing.
    Where will I learn to write a proffesional paper?
    i worry for you more and more ...
    Well good luck. I have a friend who spent some time in a hospital during his later teenage years. It seemed to help him.
    Originally posted by Skive
    I can handle Class A's but not Puff.

Weed makes me think too much and I get serioulsy paranoid sometimes unless I've had a few beers first. It wasn't always liek that though. :(

Me too !! :(

I need to get a counsellor so bad, I really want to talk to someone about my life and my problems :(

And some things worry me, sometimes if people piss me off, properly do something to me like I'll spin out about killing them or giving them a beating !

That can't be normal, can it?
    What is normal?
    That answer will do me :thumb: