Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weed in public

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't think this has been done before...

I was at Alton Towers on Saturday and in the queue for Air (which is non-smoking) with a group of friends, all younger than me. The guys in front of us, about early-20s I guess, were smoking weed and although I wanted to I completely wimped out of asking them to put it out.

But the point of this is, would you smoke so openly in public? I knew the laws were all but redundant, but it really surprised me. I guess I'm a bit naive for my age!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i`ve smoked weed in public but smoking it whilst in a non smoking zone queueing up for a ride is taking the piss bigstyle.
    Maybe they thought they was cool?!
    Yes I smoke weed often in pubkic, lots of people do :yes:
    there are wooded areas in Alton towers, little trails that lead from area to area that are outta the way The very least they could do is move away from where children are (not because of the draw, so much as smoking around children).
    I smoke it in public all the time.

If we're sitting down in the park or something and kids come along, we move.
    Yea, i always smoke it in public.
    i smoke in public ...little one skinners and mostly no one is the slightest bit aware of it. yes theres a smell but it aint me gov.
    i don't smoke anything in non smoking places.
    Lol sometimes the ones we have are as long as our forearm. Some of the looks we get a priceless :D
    Smoking when there are kids around is just not on, regardless of what your smoking. This definately applies if your a parent and then you shouldnt smoke at all.

As for smoking in public. The law is somewhat fuzzy on this and it is really up to the police person at the time. You can still be arrested for a number of reasons, which basically mean if the police person doesnt like you, then they can bust you.

The general jist of the law as it stands now is that the police have all the same powers they used to have. But they are encouraged not to use them by the down grading. You can still get the same punishments but now the police have to explain why your getting them.
    What he said /\/\

Basically if you blatantly smoke cannabis in front of police officers or near kids you could also face arrest.
    And of course if your under 17 I believe, although why its not 18 I dont know. Isnt that tasitly admiting to the fact that cannabis might be less harmful than alcohol?

Curious.
    I smoke it in public all the time, walking around town and stuff. If i pass anyone I just cup it in my hand.
    I used to when I lived on Arran cos the police don't care. You could sit in the bus stop outside the police station quite happily.
    Done it last year around Paisley but I was out of my box constantly so I'd be wandering down the street and not even notice.
    Don't think I would do it now and deff not around kiddilies!
    I was wrong, you do have to be over 18. Anyone caught under that age could well get arrested.
    smoking it in public is ok every 1 where i live does it but every ones got more respect to keep it away from the kiddies as it is rude even if the parents are toking on a spliff as well
    Originally posted by rachie004
    perhaps into town then we might have a lil one
    best way ...no fuss. no show. and i can often spot the ones who's eyes light up at the faint waft so obviously coming from my direction. a quick icy stare ..a rye smile and they move on ...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    best way ...no fuss. no show. and i can often spot the ones who's eyes light up at the faint waft so obviously coming from my direction. a quick icy stare ..a rye smile and they move on ...

That or they have the balls to go up to you and ask to buy a spliffs worth or they ask if you can help sort them out for a 8th or something!

i remember after i went clubbing when i was coming down from the pills i went to smoke a spliff down the harbourside with some others and someone come up asking to buy a spliff off me, the poor **** ended up paying £3 for it! it went towards the taxi ride home so result!

:lol:
    Yea, i wouldn't walk down the main street during the day with a 3 pinner, would no bother with a 1 pinner, just small and you can put a nice bit in a little 1 pinner, people really don't seem bothered anymore.

I love it though whenever you've got no gear at all and you get enough for a few joints off a friend or something, that's the best smoke you'll have, considering the circumstances.