Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coca leaves

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
chewing a mouthful of leaves for 15 minutes gives you a blood-cocaine level equivalent to two "lines" of the pure drug

Is this true or are the telegragh exaggerating?

I chewed a fair bit in Peru where coca leaves are legal but thought that it was fairly innocent.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    exaggeration i reckon
    Its a stupid statement because there are too many variables to take into account.

How long is a line of cocaine? Are we talking pure cocaine? How big is the persons mouth? How full is a full mouth? How many leaves is that? How strong are those leaves? Are you taking it with ash?.... etc.

Coca is a mix of many many drugs, in fact it could well be VERY useful to mankind but because of cocaine its not allowed. For example it makes THE best toothpaste. It is also seen as the best thing to take for altitude sickness. Tis a shame really.

Dissapointing given that it is the Telegraph, but then their drugs reporting has always been somewhat shoddy.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Randomgirl, what date was that article? Because I remember reading something like that and not thinking it was that wrong, I wouldn't mind having another look....
    Also are coca leaves actually legal in Peru? I mean I know that it is tolerated and that many people use it there but isnt actually against the law.

I thought it was only Bolivia that had legal coca. But now having said that I do know that coca is grown legaly in Peru, but I think its only really allowed to be used either by the natives in their historical things or in medicines.

Hmmm, thats got me thinking now. I'll do a bit of research this afternoon and get back to you.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3682101.stm

BBC article about the cocaine trade

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03422038.htm

Interesting article about other uses of coca.

Well looks like I was wrong to assume that coca production is illegal there. However there are restrictions over what it is sold for and how it is used.

Thats an important lesson for you kiddies, Bong doesnt know everything.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats an important lesson for you kiddies, Bong doesnt know everything. [/B]

I'm devastated.
    Dont worry, I am learning and expect to really know everything within a few days.
    Well thats alright then! You had me worried for a moment there......
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Randomgirl, what date was that article? Because I remember reading something like that and not thinking it was that wrong, I wouldn't mind having another look....

The Article was this one from the daily telegraph travel section:

A spell in a high place
    Ancient associations with witchcraft and cocaine are still thriving in La Paz, says Rhymer Rigby
    (Filed: 09/02/2004)

I posted the link yesterday but removed it when I noticed the daily telegraph kindy put your login name at the top of page and I'd registered in my real name. I tried to re-register as Randomgirl but it wouldn't let me.

Coca leaves are definately legal in Bolivia and Peru. They are a very important part of the Andean culture.

Yes we chewed with wood ash as without it you don't get much effect, apparently it releases the activite ingredients. Chewing makes your mouth go numb and we chewed lots and lots on the Inka Trail for ur... avoiding altitude sickness. We didn't get altitude sickness so I guess it worked. I am assured that they are highly nutritious.

One time we smoked the leaves but this only works if the leaves are very dry. It made me jiggle about a bit but felt milder than the effects of smoking joints which is my only other drug taking experience.

I just wondered because a friend told me I'd fail a drugs test. Although to be honest who would want to test me for drugs any way? And who would care? I've not broken any laws since it was legal in the country I was in at the time :p
    Cocaine is out of your body very quickly anyway, so unless you were asked to piss in a pot as you got to Gatwick you'd probably pass.