Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bar work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone here got/had a bar job? What was it like? Hard, easy, boring, fun? How did you cope with the smoky atmosphere and crowds?

Comments

• Options
    I had a bar job - in a trendy arty farty cinema/gallery called Chapter in Cardiff.

It was OK - the people I worked with were nice and they showed me the ropes. But some of the customers were a pain and they could get pretty rowdy. Plus they had speciality beers and people would ask for recommnedations so I had to be a good liar (I couldn't be bothered to learn all about beer for a crap night job!)

It's a laugh mostly but can be busy!
  • Options
    My boyfriend worked in a pub and he really enjoyed it. If you're quite a sociable person then I think the job will suit you because there are usually always other staff or customers around for you to chat to, especially if you work during the day when it may be a bit quieter.

As byny has said already some of the customers can be a bit arsey, especially when you're first starting out. If you don't do things just how the customer wants them done (for example when pouring a pint) then they sometimes have a bit of a bitch about it. However if you can just take this sort of thing with a pinch of salt then this shouldn't be a problem :)

As I said I think if you're sociable and confident enough to deal with people who are getting a bit lairy or asking people for ID etc. then you should do fine.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cheers. I got the job I applied for, in my favourite nightclub :hyper: Working with my best mate too, though at the mo he's at the pub downstairs, which is great!
  • Options
    I couldn't stand it. The pay was awful.
  • Options
    I work in a bar in the centre of Wrexham and we have karaoke and a drag queen in. I don't mind it, it's not too much hard work and because we're a local, you get the time to meet a lot of interesting people. The pay is shite but the hours suit college.