Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

URGENT: after-effects of abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, a friend and I are trying to help another friend.
This other friend, call her Emily, is unfortunately prone to being waylayed by not-so-wellmeaning guys while out drinking, and she had to have an abortion in october cos she was raped by an ex of hers, well it's happened again, same guy, same situation. Her periods are normally really regular, but she's 6days late now and absolutely terrified, she's going for a test tomorrow (saturday) cos its better to know.
What we're wondering is whether having an abortion can impact either on fertility, or on the regularity of the menstrual cycle, for a while afterwards? Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks, Freyja

Comments

• Options
    I think it can, but they'd be back to normal by now...
  • Options
    Hi there
    First off, I've just checked out the Marie Stopes guide to abortion which states that you can become pregnant as little as two weeks after an abortion and therefore always need to think about contraception, so no, your fertility shouldn't be affected and your friend should be making sure she is protecting herself against both pregnancy and STIs.

It sounds like a horrible situation that your friend is in. Has she had any counselling to help her deal with the assault? Rape is a very serious matter and can leave a person with severe emotional scars. You say this has happened twice - does this mean that she has not spoken about the assault? Please take a read of

this feature which will advise you on the steps you can take next and some useful organisations that your friend could turn to for help and support.

Take care
    :)
  • Options
    Ok i may have got the wrong end of the stick but i thought she meant, if she has another abortion will it affect her fertility.
    I always thought after three the changes of becoming pregnant are less but i am not sure. Maybe someone could confirm?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    heya freyja,

thanks for posting this for me, ill buy you lots of chocolate next week :)

as an update for everyone, the girl in question will be having a test done next week. As for the rape etc, she refuses to go back to the police again (shes been there once before with someone raping her).

anyway, im out of the loop from now on... her over protective parents think that i am a threat to their daughter so im not allowed any contact with her anymore. which just about sums up how f*cked up her parents are... im a threat, but the p*ick whos raping her is welcome in their house?!?!?

anyway, thanks for all your help. if i manage to find out any more through other channels i will let you know.

and thanks again freya :)
  • Options
    thanks for all the help everyone, she went to the doctors and the tw*t got her pregnant. We're not sure what she'll do.
    Thanks anyway
  • Options
    Aw, I hope your friend will be OK.

Tell her to read this feature to help her out with her options:
    Pregnant - what now?

I'm sure the doctor has already helped her out with all this, but if she is still confused or needs more advice, the following organisations can help:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023
    www.brook.org.uk

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

Stick by her and offer your asupport - I'm sure she needs it.

:)