Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Toni Ann Byfield

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3669295.stm

It is a horrible tragedy that this little girl was killed. And yes, social services SHOULD have taken more care. But am I alone in thinking that the ultimate responsibility for a child should be taken by the parents and family? (rather than passing the buck and placing blame on goverment and council departments).

If someone has a child why can they not look after it and be concerned for their welfare. Toni Anns mother is said to be angry and distraught over the events, but should she not have taken more concern over where her 7 year old child was and who was looking after her?

As well as communities looking out for children which doesn't seem to happen any more when people don't even know their neighbours names (do you know yours, because I don't?)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Toni Ann Byfield
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    It is a horrible tragedy that this little girl was killed. And yes, social services SHOULD have taken more care. But am I alone in thinking that the ultimate responsibility for a child should be taken by the parents and family? (rather than passing the buck and placing blame on goverment and council departments).

No, I think the same.

Once again, as with the Climbie (sp?) case, a parent is refusing to accept that they have a resposibility to ensure that their child is cared for.

From what I have heard in this case, that didn't happen.
  • Options
    Though at the same time...(and I speak as someone who's mother worked in child protection for years) ...if the responsibility for that childs safety passes to a professional then they should be aware of the circumstances in which the child is living.
  • Options
    As well as communities looking out for children which doesn't seem to happen any more when people don't even know their neighbours names (do you know yours, because I don't)

Oh bullshit!
  • Options
    Would you care to back up that statement?
  • Options
    I just don't like my neighbours so I shouldn't care for them.

As for children, fuck they ain't MY responsiblity.