Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Me Me Me Me, thats all you everthink about.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Selfishness a good thing ? discus

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, I am the most important person in the universe, without me nothing would exist.

Simple really.
    Im very selfish especially when it comes to buying stuff.....

i live for selfishness lol

who ever says they are never selfish are lying

is there such thing as a selfless good deed?
    if so name one..... PLEASE

nuff love x
    i am contasntly going around the place seeing things that i know my mates would love, and have to stop myself from buying them...........i'm conpletely selfless :p , but honestly, i was gonna fork out 40€ to get 2 of my mates over here andbuy some stuff for us......:) i'm so nice :D
    The universe is what I percieve, therefore the whole universe and everything in it lives and dies with me.

How could I possibly be anything but selfish when I hold the live of the universe in my hands.
    Originally posted by aimz

is there such thing as a selfless good deed?

we discussed this in college. there is not really such a thing as when we do something good we do it and we do get something from it

eg. you walk by a homeless person and feel guilty that you just walked by so you go back and do the kind deed and give them a couple of pounds and the guilt disappears and you get a good feeling.

or

you raise money for charity and you help a good cause but you also get a good feeling from it.

is that clear or do i sound like im talking shit?
    Na i totally understand.
    I love F.R.I.E.N.D.S and on one of the episodes Joey and Phoebe talk about selfless good deeds and Joey does all these crazy things to prove to Phoebe that there is such a thing.....

but guess what?
    Joey couldnt find one....

ahh i love friends.
    selfishness has its benefits, not a lot of people are gonna look out for your best interests before their own in life, so you might as well get used to being selfish occasionally

however, selfless deeds of goodwill... hmm... i'm reminded of the bible story where all the rich jews put large sums of money into the temple collecting boxes, and then a poor woman came in and put her two coins in, and jesus told his disciples that she gave more, because she gave all she had, which in a sense is my feeling on charity
    yes, it's nice to help others, but to make a point of how generous you are is silly, it should be for your benefit
    there's some cock round my area who's donating loads of money to 'help young people help themselves' which is a pile of rubbish, he's doing it to fiddle taxes and feel less guilty for being a crook all his life... i've boycotted his award scheme and trying to convince other people to do the same...
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    there's some cock round my area

I didn't want to know that

:lol:
    everyone is selfish. but sometimes it's ok.

cause, you know, if you walk past a charity tin and put £2 in, even if it's only to make yourself feel/look good, the charity still gets £2.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    cause, you know, if you walk past a charity tin and put £2 in, even if it's only to make yourself feel/look good, the charity still gets £2.

I give to charity because it makes me feel good about helping people who need it. Is that really self-righteous?
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I give to charity because it makes me feel good about helping people who need it. Is that really self-righteous?

does it really matter?

the charity is still getting money.
    everyone's selfish - to a certain extent. if we weren't, i guess we'd have nothing. i'm selfish when i want to be. but then i can be quite generous too. :)
    Originally posted by Anti-Christ
    I didn't want to know that

:lol:

lol.... thanks for making my day, i miss an intelligent innuendo, i've had to put up with 'dragon juice' related crap all day

Brian drinks too much one night. Brian thinks his drinks been spiked. Brian starts spewing. Brian spews blood up.

Brian's mates make sure he's OK, go with him in the ambulance., give him a sofa to crash on afterwards etc.

No way were they anything but selfless when that happened. I'm sure they didn't think "Oh, not only will this save this stupid bastards life, it'll also give me oh such a warm feeling inside"

Yanno?
    no thats right but if he had done fuck all he would have felt really guilty probably so by doing this he prevents bad feelings. auch i know what i mean. its also instinct to help a mate.
    all i really mean is no matter what good thing we do we get something out of it not always at the time we do it but later.
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    no thats right but if he had done fuck all he would have felt really guilty probably so by doing this he prevents bad feelings. auch i know what i mean. its also instinct to help a mate.

You're right, but I'd bet they wouldn't have thought selfish thoughts at the time. So I reckon that'd make it a sefless act, even if down the line they do somehow benefit from it.

IMHO, it's more to do with what goes through your head at the time that makes it a selfless/selfish act.

I do know what you mean though.
    yeah. i think everything we do is selfish, to a point, but if our selfish act benefits others, then it's a good thing.

if your mates got you to hospital when you needed, that was a good thing for them to do, regardless of their reasoning behind it. whyever they did what they did, they did the right thing.

if you get me. i know what i mean. i think wee wuman is going along the same lines too.
    It's just human nature to be selfish. I think I'm more selfish than what I should be because I am too expectant of my Mum and Dad to be there for me all the time. Terrible I know, but it's been like that for the past 21 years.

Ach, I dunno different for everyone maybe.
    im not selfish enough i think, its guilt guilt guilt woth me but anyway im pisses at twenty past fve so ill just shut it!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    all i can think about is the joey/phoebe thing from friends ... is there such a thing as a selfless good deed??
    Originally posted by wee wuman

or

you raise money for charity and you help a good cause but you also get a good feeling from it.

And get paid £10 per hour doing it...
    Originally posted by static
    And get paid £10 per hour doing it...

eh what? im raising money for diabetes uk at the end of this month and i sure as shit aint getting ten pound an hour!
    in london there are ads all the time offering up to £12 an hour 2 do fundraising!!!
    kinda sad when people have to be paid to do fundraising!
    Na i totally understand.
    I love F.R.I.E.N.D.S and on one of the episodes Joey and Phoebe talk about selfless good deeds and Joey does all these crazy things to prove to Phoebe that there is such a thing.....

but guess what?
    Joey couldnt find one....

ahh i love friends.

It's Phoebe trying to find a selfless deed for Joey, isn't it?

But aye, I loved that episode :)
    Originally posted by static
    in london there are ads all the time offering up to £12 an hour 2 do fundraising!!!

Yeah, they are for those cunting comapnies that make money from charities by doing the donkey work for them. You aren't working for a charity, you are working for a company that makes profit by charging charities for fundraisers.

In Durham we have them, and it means there's the same ten nobheads on the street corner every day, but one day they'll be wearing a "Shelter" bib, the next day it'll be Greenpeace, and so on. I generally just knee them in the nuts and walk on by:)
    The whole universe, and everything in it, is a figment of my imagination. You, therefore, do not exist. I exist, for I think therefore I am, but you do not think because you do not exist.

So yes, I am the only thing I ever think about. Because I'm the only thing that actually exists.
    selfless good deed: telling someone they don't have a chance going out with

doesn't make you feel better - in fact it makes you feel a lot worse. but its better for them in the long run because it will help them start to get over you.

but theres probably a loophole :p