Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ron Atkinsons comments

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But byny yuou have just disproved your own argument.

What Atkinson said was racist, because of the connotations of the word. That is undoubtedly fact, and isn't being disputed.

However I still take issue with Atkinson being racist. When people are angry they use insults designed to mark out differences between themselves and the insultee- in this case it was Desailly's colour. If Desailly was white and fat, Atkinson would have called him a "fat bastard"; if Desailly was white and ginger, another insult would have been used.

People need to separate meaning and intent- n*gger is a word that nobody should use, but at the end of the day it is just a word. An insult. An insult like any other- a strong insult, yes, but only an insult. It is the context which makes it racist or not; a person can use racist words and not be racist, and a person can use non-racist words and be the biggest racist bigot going.

He resigned, he was right to resign because words like that should not be used. But I find it interesting to see which people are slagging him off as racist and which people are not; it appears to be that those who are honest are defending him, and those who would go to the opening of an envelope, such as Ian Wright, are criticising him. Just an observation.
  • Options
    I really have no idea if he is racist or not - I know nothing about him, not being into football.
    But - you don't use racist insults if you are aware of the issues. no one I know would dream of using an insult like that (except in jest, possibly).
    As I said - language used is a good indicator of internal thought processes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Is an 'Out and Out' racist worse than someone who is just a little bit racist!!! :eek:
    And then....
    "I don't think you are a racist, but I do think you have a racist element in you and I don't think you are aware what racism is..You don't see colour when you are giving a person a job, and that's how it's meant to be, but you come from an era when certain things were acceptable and I think you are quite aware of what those things are. That's when you can become racist. I think that in the instance that you used the term N****er you were racist. I don't think that had Desailly been white you would have mentioned his colour. You might have called him a Lazy bastard, but you certainly wouldn't have called him a lazy, white, Ni***r"
    And you agreed with the last statement so yes there is a difference between and "out and out racist". IMO a Racist is the likes of all the Al-qeada (sp??) where they are hell bent on killing other cultures/religions etc.. Also people from the BNP are "out and out racist" because all they want to do is get rid of all the asians/blacks etc..
    Then there is people like me (and i'm not ashamed to say), I have had a lot of runnings with the asians that live in my area, they all walk around with there arms swinging thinking they are everything, they start fights ALL the time on whites on there own when they are in big gangs. An asian was driving towards me on the wrong side of the road and I shouted for him to move over, he didn't just move over and carry on, he got out and put my car back window through with a metal bar. So I have got something against the asians in my area which from all the things i've seen happen is making me a bit racist towards them. I say racist words from time to time but I aint gonna strap a bomb to my back and drive into the mosque not far from my house. I aint gonna shout racist remarks for no reason. But if I was walking through my town and I got started on (again) then yes the racist abuse would start.
    I'm probably making myself look like a racist nobhead but the point i'm trying to make is I don't class myself as a racist but at times I can be because of things that of happened to me etc.. or in certain situations. I know this was said earlier but my best girl mate is black, a really good lad mate of mine is Asian, I never say racist remarks to them or even think of them.
    I think Rons comments were out of order, but I don't think he is a "out and out racist".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    I'm probably making myself look like a racist nobhead

A little bit, yes. Understandable maybe, as an immedate reaction to bad experiences, but not a very logical or clever position.
    I've only ever been mugged and beaten up by black people, I could easily get resentful, but I'm clever enough to know that its only a minority who are wankers - same as in any group.
    Maybe get to know some asian people and your opinions might change.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    And then....

And you agreed with the last statement so yes there is a difference between and "out and out racist". .

No - I kind of agreed with the answer...

Anyway - this is an interesting view from a black colleague...

I am Black and proud and hate the N word, however used. It makes no difference to me whether it is used by NWA, spelt niggaz (given my loathing of 'gangsta rap'), or Erykah Badu on the sleeve notes of her debut album (a fond message to her then partner: 'you my nigga forever'), despite my deep love for the woman and her music, or by the aforementioned rock group, despite my complete indifference to the genre.

Having said this, there IS a difference between Black people and others using it. The best analogy I can think of is recreational drug use; if I do it to myself, I may be stupid or self-destructive, but it is my choice and between myself and those with a valid interest (family, friends, the law...). If someone does it to me, it is entirely another matter.

As for context, while I can understand the point, it simply is not strong enough for terms such as chink, spic, wog, wop, etc. These words are calculatedly offensive (the idea that the N word originally meant low life is absurd; it was coined as an insulting play on the word Negro). Context does make a difference for some language; I hate being called ethnic, but tolerate it at work. Anyone who called me that outside of work would quickly feel the sharp edge of my tongue! I am less inclined to tolerate (second generation) immigrant and non-white, but they are still less offensive.

Doubtless, many will regard this as political correctness and/or just semantics. I have no problem with that; but I would just point out two things. One, if you have read this, you can no longer use ignorance as an excuse. Two, if you chose not to respect people by acknowledging and addressing them as they would choose, be prepared to live with the consequences.
  • Options
  • Options
    How can you reclaim something that was not about you in the first place...isn't that rather like having a number tatooed on your arm to align yourself with the victims of the holocaust??!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Why? Why can't I reclaim it also?

Are you black?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Are you black?

Is that relevant?

She speaks english, it's an english word. Why can't she "reclaim" it to make it a palatable word?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Is that relevant?

She speaks english, it's an english word. Why can't she "reclaim" it to make it a palatable word?

Of course its relevant. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Of course its relevant. :rolleyes:

It is a term usually used by racists. You don't have to be black to want to change that...
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm sorry but if you are not black then the use of that word is going to create great offense even if you did not mean to use it in a derogatory way. And for that reason alone you should refrain to use it.

It's brutally simple really...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I'm sorry but if you are not black then the use of that word is going to create great offense even if you did not mean to use it in a derogatory way. And for that reason alone you should refrain to use it.

It's brutally simple really...

Ah, but then it becomes a very interesting discussion on semantics.

If EVERY person changed the meaning of the word from derogatory to endearment, then the meaning of the word would change. Look at how the meaning of the word "gay" has evolved.

In practise if I called a black stranger a n. then that would be greatly insulting, but if I called a mate one then it may not be. It would depend on the friend, of course, but colour isn't relevant, it is the relationship to the person you are calling a n. that is.

But if everyone started using it as a term of affection, it would become one; it doesn't matter what colour you are.
  • Options
    If you are friends with a black person and it's obvious to both that the term is being used as a joke between the two of you then it wouldn't be racist. But today it is still not appropriate to describe third parties with that word even if you did not mean to use it in a derogatory way- because the word itself is racist and derogatory.

Black people can use it however, on the simple premise that they're obviously not being racist towars people of their own race.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

If EVERY person changed the meaning of the word from derogatory to endearment, then the meaning of the word would change. Look at how the meaning of the word "gay" has evolved.

In practise if I called a black stranger a n. then that would be greatly insulting, but if I called a mate one then it may not be. It would depend on the friend, of course, but colour isn't relevant, it is the relationship to the person you are calling a n. that is.

But if everyone started using it as a term of affection, it would become one; it doesn't matter what colour you are.

However - if you refer to someone on tv as a fucking lazy N****r then it plainly is insulting and racist. There we go!
    If a black person finds the word degrading no amout of white people 're-claiming' the word will stop it being so, in fact no amount of Black people 'reclaiming' it will either!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It is a term usually used by racists. You don't have to be black to want to change that...

No of course not. But langauge changes meaning depending on context. Maybe you could use it between you and your black mates who know where you're coming from. But use it it any other context and you might well get a smack in the face.
  • Options
    Why am I not allowed to hold certain sentiments, just because of the colour of my skin?

I can reclaim the meaning of the word from derogatory to endearment if black people can.

:rolleyes: No you can't. Not unless its in a specific context where its obvious that you are doing that. Otherwise people will probably think you're racist.
  • Options

Exactly. Its about context and intent.

Not really gonna happen is it? Not all black people like the use of the word. Listen to Public Enemy sometime.
  • Options
  • Options
    In which case, surely black people get very offended when other black people use it affectionately - unless they aren't strangers and know that they won't be offended.

If I knew a black person would know the context in which I used it, then there wouldn't be a problem in me calling them such a thing.

I can't be arsed to explain any more.

You either get it or you don't.

You don't.
  • Options
    In which case, surely black people get very offended when other black people use it affectionately - unless they aren't strangers and know that they won't be offended.

If I knew a black person would know the context in which I used it, then there wouldn't be a problem in me calling them such a thing.

Yes - Shock Horror, many black people do get very offended by the use of the word N****r...EVEN when their other black friends use it!!!!!

DO you have any black friends? How do you think they would take it if you suddenly said 'Hello N****r'?
    Of course it would be rediculous to use that kind of greeting. What would make you think it was OK...Would you wait a few months and then just chuck the word in 'Casually' or would you perhaps ask them sometime if it would be ok if from now on you called them N****r?

Or would you perhaps wait for them to start using the word (Which of course they would cos, like, rappers do so that means all black people must do right?)!

Some people still use the phrases 'he worked like a N****r' and 'I was sweating like a n****r'...do you know where these phrases come from?

You have no understanding of the issue, a large part of this is because you are white.
  • Options
  • Options
    *yawn*

You're white (and so am I) so we don't know what its like to be a racial minority in this country. How can we? We don't know what its like to experience low level racism all the time.
    An example - a black friend of mine walks into a pub in Brixton (yes, Brixton, where you don't expect this sort of thing), waves at us and walks over. One of the barmaids rushes overm grabs him and asks us if he's bothering us. No, he's our mate you idiot, we reply. But she assumed, just because he's a big black bloke, wearing FUBU and Avirex etc, that he was causing trouble.
    I have no idea what thats like to experience, to be judged on the colour of your skin in your local pub. I don't think you do either.