Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where should I apply

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So as far as I understood I only get to apply to six places through the UCAS, and I can't buy more.

My dream has been to get into Cambridge, I know it's unlikely, but I need to know I tried.
LSE looks really great, and is located in an ace area, so I have tio try there as well. Even though I know it's hard to get in.
Then there's Warwick, hos just had an ace programme for what I wanna study.

But I need to be realistic, and was wondering which places have a good reputation for Politics and International Relations courses yet still being accesible?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you :)

Though isn't Durham hard to get into?
    Jacqs do you have to pay the full fees for an overseas student if your coming from an EU country? If so I'm sure you won't have too much problem getting into Durham as British Uni's are on a major drive to get foreign students and boost their revenue.

One thing about London is it can be expensive for a student budget.
    Nopes. Pay the same as English students, due to being a resident of the EU.
    London is damn expensive - but I really really wanna live there. By the Thames :D

I'll resort to finding a comfortable bench, if that's what it takes.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    The typical Durham politics offer is ABB, so I reckon you're looking at about 32-34 IB points.

Will apply for their prospectus :)
    Im applying to do politics, and my choices are some of the best according to newpaper lists. My first choice is Exeter, (BBB) and my insurance is Lancaster (BCC)

Its weird though, Lancaster is ranked higher than Exeter
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Im applying to do politics, and my choices are some of the best according to newpaper lists. My first choice is Exeter, (BBB) and my insurance is Lancaster (BCC)

Its weird though, Lancaster is ranked higher than Exeter
    Is that list to be found online?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,8405,00.html

Try there :)
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

I have found a list of the top 10 University's to study politics according to The Guardian here

I hope it helps :)
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I have found a list of the top 10 University's to study politics according to The Guardian here

I hope it helps :)

Gah, i knew one of the newspapers did it.
    Thanks guys.
    i'm at warwick, my brother is at the LSE. Politics I'd say go to the LSE as it has a bit of a better reputation for it than Warwick. Life at both is VERY different- being in central London has definate advantages to being in south Coventry (coventry is a hell hole).

In terms of cost, hmm, my brother finds London not too bad, its fairly comparable to Warwick tbh- in the union here its £2 a pint whilst in my brothers hall its only £1.40 ish. Accommodation prices are however different- my brother pays £78ish a week for an non ensuite room (which is about £50-£55 in warwick) whereas I pay £83 a week for an ensuite room in warwick which is 5m by 3m.
    but in london private rented accomadtion is on average £105/week which a lot of money, plus food etc is mroe expenisve from shops in central london
    Originally posted by Ynox
    i'm at warwick, my brother is at the LSE. Politics I'd say go to the LSE as it has a bit of a better reputation for it than Warwick. Life at both is VERY different- being in central London has definate advantages to being in south Coventry (coventry is a hell hole).

In terms of cost, hmm, my brother finds London not too bad, its fairly comparable to Warwick tbh- in the union here its £2 a pint whilst in my brothers hall its only £1.40 ish. Accommodation prices are however different- my brother pays £78ish a week for an non ensuite room (which is about £50-£55 in warwick) whereas I pay £83 a week for an ensuite room in warwick which is 5m by 3m.

Thank you so much for that :)

My goal is to study in London (and I really like the location of LSE), and I am aware that it can become pretty expensive. But for a school like LSE it's worth it (I am talking as if I am accepted, and ready to go. Which is far frfom it).
    But I wouldn't be sad (not at all) if I came to Warwick, as I like it's reputation.

Though I was told that students at LSE are not that sociable with each other, compared to out of London unis, would you know if it's true?