Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SSRIs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry guys, didn't want to start a new thread on this, but can't find the info and no one looks at the sticky (I did try)!

Anyhoo, I was on SSRIs two and a half years ago (I was 15-16) and they didn't help. I took citalopram and sertraline, both of which have recently been banned for under-18s, which may explain why they didn't help me. I'm 18 now, and someone suggested I talk to my GP about taking Prozac since the others have proved useless in the past and therapy alone doesn't seem to be helping me. Has anyone had any experience of taking a long break from ads and going back to them?

I know I should talk to my GP, and I will, I'm just interested as much as anything else.

Ta my lovelies!

Picc
x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: SSRIs
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Has anyone had any experience of taking a long break from ads and going back to them?

Yeash, i was on Cipramil for about 9-12months about three years back. Was off them for about 1 - 1 1/2years before depression hit me again. Also the second time the tablets really didnt agree with me. So the doc put me on prozac. It did have a few minor side effects but nothing too bad. Came off them when i found out i was pregnant.
    Re: SSRIs
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Has anyone had any experience of taking a long break from ads and going back to them?

:yes:

that's pretty much what i do all the time. i try to be on them as little as possible, cause they play hell with pretty much every part of my body and brain, so i only take them when i absolutely can't manage without them.

i have doctors who think i should be on them permanently, and who try to attribute all the physical symptoms i'm having now to my 'depression' and who refuse to believe that i feel fine, and have for at least a year.

but then my current doctor agrees with me that they should only be used when totally necessary. it's all about striking a balance.

also the only reason they're all banned for under 18s is because none of them have been tested on under 18s, so no one really knows the effects on still-growing kids. they would still work, they just might not be as safe.
    Re: Re: SSRIs
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    also the only reason they're all banned for under 18s is because none of them have been tested on under 18s, so no one really knows the effects on still-growing kids. they would still work, they just might not be as safe.
    Yeah, cool, I read that. As I say I haven't done much developing since 16 anyhoo.

Well that's put me at ease. The hard part is going to my GP about it.

Thanks again.