Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hospital Volunteering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i was just wondering what kind of volunteer work they do at hospitals, what jobs you do etc.

Reason I'm asking is i am thinking of doing some volunteer work at the hospital in the near future

thanx in advance :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Each hospital has it's different age requirements. For mine they wouldn't let you in A&E until you're 17. So the first time i did it, i was in outpatients for aweek which was quite boring.

A&E is very good. Nothing like tv stuff where you have a major trauma case every 2 secs. But you can learn so much just from shadowing.

YOu can also shadow physiotherapists if that's what you're in to. If you choose a major hospital you could work in the Haem dept. Just alot of lab work, not much.

I'd apply for A&E. THe best thing. If you're a girl and you're good looking you could try for the theatre. But i doubt they'll let you in until you're over 18 or a post grad.
    When i did volunteering i was on the spinal injuries ward, i basically spent my time talking to the patients, going round with teas and coffees, running to the opposite side of the hospital on errands for the nurses... It was good fun and i miss it.
    hey, just wondering how you get into hospital volunteering? I want to be a sports physiotherapist when im older and im already doing work experience with a football team but i have been told a hospital environment would help me as well so any idea's what i have to do to get some work experience at my local hospital?

Cheers

Millsy_Magic
    Originally posted by Millsy_Magic
    hey, just wondering how you get into hospital volunteering? I want to be a sports physiotherapist when im older and im already doing work experience with a football team but i have been told a hospital environment would help me as well so any idea's what i have to do to get some work experience at my local hospital?

Go to your local hospital. Find the name and address of the 'Human Resources Manager'. That guy/gal deals with all staff personale etc...

Write to him with your CV. Write a covering letter...who you are...where you study what you hope to do, what you are looking for...and when...ask if there are any vacancies during the period....[dates]...

That ought to do it. If they do do work experience schemes he/she will write back. If not...phone up to check that the letter was received.

Good luck.
    Re: Hospital Volunteering
    Originally posted by solid_L
    Hi i was just wondering what kind of volunteer work they do at hospitals, what jobs you do etc.

Reason I'm asking is i am thinking of doing some volunteer work at the hospital in the near future

thanx in advance :D
    Try searching on this website. It has loads of volunteering stuff and you can search by sector etc.

do-it volunteering website