Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I've just come back from watching 'The Passion of the Christ'...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interestingly, a preacher came up to me today and asked me if I had seen it. Then he gave me a leaflet. Then I buggered off into Pizza Hut.
    I saw it the other day. I was a bit bored really. It was a well-done film with good acting, and worth going to see, but essentially it is a short film consisting mostly of violent torture with some bible references. I'm not sure that many people will have "revelations" after watching it, they're more likely to be reaching for the sick bag.
    I had a couple of major issues with the film -

the 'demon' aspect - I always thought Judas killed himself out of guilt, not because he was chased by infant versions of gollum

the scene where christ is being tried by the jewish council. In the bible this clearly defines a particular group of the current jewish status quo wanting to condem christ whilst others questions the accusations. This could have been a really important scene to highlight the difference between the 'jews' killing christ and a particular part of the ruling elite. In the films presentation of the opposition to condemming christ I felt you were left seeing the 'jews' as responsible for the cruxifiction rather than one sect. Combined with the sympathic presentation of pilate and the ineffectual Herod I think the accusations of anti-semetism seem valid.
    And considering that Mel Gibson's father is an unashamed Holocaust-denier and that Mel has repeatedly refused to condemn his father's views on the Holocaust, the accusations of an anti-semitism agenda in the film carry even more weight.

The bloke's a nasty piece of work anyway. An ultra-fundamentalist homophobe who even thinks the Catholic Church is 'too liberal'. :rolleyes:

"Allegedly" :)
    Originally posted by Jim V
    I felt you were left seeing the 'jews' as responsible for the cruxifiction rather than one sect. Combined with the sympathic presentation of pilate and the ineffectual Herod I think the accusations of anti-semetism seem valid.
    Although I haven't seen the film, so I am in that respect very ignorant about this, I thought that Gibson's intention was to show that everyone took part in Christ's condemnation - Jews and Romans, and not just the élite tier of either.

But I always thought Judas killed himself because of guilt, too.
    judas did kill himself out of guilt, but that guilt was from the devil, see the way i see it as a Christian, i know that guilt comes hand in hand with sin and these things do not come from God, but sin comes from the devil and guilt is something i feel after i have sinned, despite asking God for forgiveness. God has forgiven me and forgotten about it, but the devil doesnt want me to forget about it cos he wants me to do it again, so guilt is from the devil, so judas did kill himself out of guilt, but that guilt was from the devil.
    I always considered guilt to be an important part of free will, a reflection of conscience and a good thing in moderation.

Oh and Piccolo, my issue was with the presentation of the different people involved, Gibson doesn't paint everyone as equally responsible.
    Oh and Piccolo, my issue was with the presentation of the different people involved, Gibson doesn't paint everyone as equally responsible.
    OK, I accept that, but that was how he explained it.
    I always considered guilt to be an important part of free will, a reflection of conscience and a good thing in moderation.

well yes it is part of free will because the devil doesnt MAKE us feel guilty or MAKE us sin, the devil doesnt have the power to make us do anything he just puts the temptation there and thats where Free will comes in. but what i was trying to say was that the way Judas's suicide was portrayed in the film was because of the guilt of knowing he had done something that the devil wanted, if you know what i mean. in a way i agree its a reflection of conscience. but i know that i hate feeling guilty about something, but always do when i do something wrong and i suppose yes thats a good thing in moderation because its important to know when you do something wrong. but an important thing i have learned about being a Christian is that once im forgiven i dont have to feel guilty anymore because God hasnt judged me guilty. do you know what i mean. hmm. it makes sense in my head.
    I enjoyed the film. I'm not religious but I'm pretty sure there's scientific proof that Jesus existed, and certainly other people have been crucified, and it really made it hit home what a brutal and horrific method of execution it is.

Things that niggled a bit - the whole devil thing - creepy, yes, mentioned in te Gospels? Not to my knowledge. Also, and this is SO pedantic I know, but throughout the film the languages spoken were pretty strict - the Romans spoke in Latin to one another and Aramaic to the Jews, the Jews spoke Aramaic amongst themselves and to the Romans, yet Jesus and Pontius Pilate randomly had a conversation in Latin. Why? I can't see why Jesus would be fluent in Latin when the High Priests, who were presumably well educated, were not.
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Things that niggled a bit - the whole devil thing - creepy, yes, mentioned in te Gospels?
    You're right, but scarlettcloud also has a point. Guilt comes from the devil - you need only confess to God and then you have no more reason to feel guilty. However, I think Gibson probably employed some artistic license actually portraying Satan making Judas guilty.

If you're interested, Matthew 27
    My main qualm with this film would be that it highlights the painful process of execution Jesus went through many had been through that before, it wasn't as if it was something so huge, although i dunno.