Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Glastonbury

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What's Glastonbury like then? From what I've seen on TV and in mags 'n stuff most people look like soap dodgers.

Opinions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    i went last year and worked on a pedestrian gate as a security guard. tbh most people looked around 25ish. had quite a few students come through, as well as crazy scousers.

on the whole everyone who came out looked like soap dodgers, but i guess that's to be expected :lol:

i guess its a festival, so the generalism of festival goers does apply. the kind of people who go do normally fall under the category of music loving, experiance seeking people. read into that what you will :)

its definatly worth a visist once in your life though. if you can be arse to go through the hassle of getting tickets :crazyeyes
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Absolutely not! Yeah there are some soap dodgers but it's usually a mix of old and young, rich and poor, square and hip.

Basically a small town springs up on Pilton farm and there's everything you need...showers if you can be bothered, cash machines if you fancy standing in a queue all weekend, loads of food, stalls selling everything from bongs to furniture.

The site is huge and there are several market areas, the green field where you will find massages, alternative health remedies and wonderful cafes. near the accoustic tent they build a huge wooden cafe (Run by religious amish types) where you can sit down and have great food. or you can go to the many beer tents, any of the grasy cafes or just walk round with a plate of Noodles. cheaper food can be got from chip vans, donut stalls, even peple just camping out who happen to be making bacon rolls.

You can sit in the sun (Hopefully) and watch hours of comedy insise and outside the cabaret tent, or watch the 'street' theatre stuff.

At night they show films on big screens near the dance tent, everyone brings a blanket or sleeping bag (Some bring chairs) and we all sit and watch a film at 1am! Or you can spend your time dancing either in the dance tent or any of the other small tents that play music all day long.

The camping is cool - you meet your neighbours, share bottles of gin and spliffs found fires and generally just chill out.

During the day it's usually just walking walking walking interrupted by great bands (Some of whom you just stumble upon, others you make a special effort to get to) great food and top class entertainment.

On the last evening you can go and sit in the Stone Circle field at night and get a great view of the whole site, the lights, the sound, the fireworks.

people are just having such a blast.

the best bit?.....You get there, and you realise you have to walk miles from the car with all your stuff to find a decent place to camp (Pennards hill for me!)...you get to your chosen spot and sit down, open your first beer and RELAX!!!!

THATS WHY I STAYED AWAKE FOR OVER 24 HOURS TO GET MY TICKETS!! :D
    got mine in 1 1/2 hours :) Yay!
    Originally posted by Susie
    got mine in 1 1/2 hours :) Yay!

kay saraaa saraaa, whatever will be, will be. we're going to glastonbreee, kay saraaa saraaa :D

what's your favourite camping site?
    Favourite campsite - Pennards Hill cos it's right next to the green fields and Stone circle field. And it's close to the other stage and markets.

what's yours..

and isn't anyone else going?............
    hmmm, haven't really got a favourite yet. well, apart from the security campsite with its clean showers and toilets, free around the clock hot meals and armoured car (seriously!)

this is the first time i'll be doing the glasto thing properly. so i'm worried about getting a decent campsite. getting down there wednesday morning to get a ncie spot :)

whats the thing your most looking forward to byny and susie?
    I used to work for the people that run the Avalon and Glade stages, so for the last few years I have had a free ticket, free beer and nicer camping....but I have had to work my arse off! And your there for a whole week, it's a bit weird when the party is over!! This year I am just going for the Sunday (Glasto is only about 10 miles away from me so I can get a sunday ticket).
    I'm most looking forward to that moment when your tent is up and you open your first beer!

I'm really excited aboout television playing. And I'll be seeing John Otway again.

One of my favourite things is goint to see a film at 2am. It's just great sitting there on a blanket with my sleeping bag in the open air!! Just hope it doesn't rain :lol:

I also look forward to seeing the big silly drunken grin on my boyfriends face around 4pm on Friday....it takes a lot to make him smile but glastonbury usually does the trick!!
    Originally posted by byny
    Favourite campsite - Pennards Hill cos it's right next to the green fields and Stone circle field. And it's close to the other stage and markets.

what's yours..

and isn't anyone else going?............

Snap, that's where i camped last year and hopefully will again this year ... was also the first year nothing got stolen. Thanfully a couple of my friends did get tickets in the end so I have a lift and some company :)
    You know - I've never had a thing stolen!! How did it happen...did you come back to the tent and find it gone? Or were you in the tent at the time. Fingers crossed it won't happen to me!
    My tent has been stolen on the train on the way home from under my nose while I was fast asleep.

I've had my tent, which mates pitched for me, stolen before I arrived, someone just picked it up and walked off with it. I now have a painted tent!

My camera, from my bag when a little worse for wear in a tea tent!

And then petty things like vodka, programmes, oh and my friends had all their bedding stolen. I tend to get all my birthday presents when at Glasters but i always use the lock ups for them which have been fine :)

Oh and a big bag of food on a really skint year when I was sleeping. bastards
    Blimey!

I am looking forward to it so much. Pennards Hill is probably going to be packed but hopefully I'll be getting there on the Wednesday.
    Does anyone know the confirmed acts yet or a link for that info