Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mushrooms: Legal for how long?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was thinking about this earlier, as the use of mushrooms is obviously becoming more and more widespread with shops selling a variety of strains popping up all over the place.

Surely it's only a matter of time before the press become involved when someone takes it too far and goes on a 'bad' trip and does something stupid, and uses all the old scare mongering tactics in the book to inform the nation on this new found 'evil'.

This is concerning me because I'm fairly certain that all these new shops appearing selling the 'shrooms are not going to go un-noticed and somebody's going to get involved and cause an uproar,. which is definitely not needed because (in my opinion anyway) mushrooms are near enough harmless.

But that said, I'm not sure. The government can't exactly impose a ban on something that grows in such abundance. What are your thoughts on the matter? Just got me thinking when I heard of a bonzai shop in town selling a few varieties of 'shrooms (which, incidentally, I'll give you all a report on in coming weeks. :D)

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I was thinking exactly that when I saw mushrooms for sale from a caf down Bethnal Green road earlier this week, 'for ornamental or decorative purposes only' of course. Someone is going to do something stupid under the influence and it is all going to kick off.
  • Options
    I wouldnt really aggree that they are near enough harmless, like any trip they can cause serious distress if you dont know what you are doing.

I dont think the law on having them will change but I can see the police threatening local head shops with 'for consumption' legal proceedings and stopping them being sold that way.
  • Options
    I know, i was thinking that myself, sooner or later it's going to be made illegal, stupid government destroying our fun, it should be our choice how we abuse our heads and bodies, no one elses.

Like on the bag it says "Not for Consumption", what do they think people are going to do with them?!Look at them?
  • Options
    Its not quite as simple as the Government wanting to ruin our fun though.

The problem is we live in a democracy, therefore the majority rule.

And sadly the majority of VOTERS dont like the idea of their children/others taking drugs, having visions etc. it scares them.

Its because of this and many other reasons the public shouldnt be trusted, they are stupid and cant be trusted.
  • Options
    I have a magic mushroom keyring :D its illegal, im so proud :D;)

I do wonder why they arent illegal wet, i guess its because they can pop up pretty much anywhere, but still, they can seriously fuck your head up.
  • Options
    Now, I might be wrong on this, but this is how I think the wet ones are legal.

Our legal system is based a lot of precedent, legal cases that have already happened.

Now, I heard that there was a case, years ago now when a man was caught with a basket of magic mushies in a wood.

His defence amounted to a mistake, he didnt mean to pick those ones.

Now, I believe he got away with it, and therefore making having wet mushies de facto legal.

Though I might be wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Our legal system is based a lot of precedent, legal cases that have already happened.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I suppose it's a bit of a different case with mushrooms, with all other drugs there's not really much of a defence for saying having them in your possession was an accident - cannabis has the strong and very recognisable smell and anyone who tries to blag that having possession of the other street drugs is just asking for it. But with mushrooms I suppose they can easily be confused with other non-hallucogenic mushrooms and possibly some judges will buy it, however true it is.

Also I think as well as that it would be too hard to enforce properly and efficiently seen as they grow in such an abundance all over the place.
  • Options
    when some kid jumps out of the bedroom window and lands on a pensioner passing by ...they might do something but i have a feeling they won't.
    attitudes to drugs are changing rapidly. no one realy gives a fuck anymore.
    it's the crime that goes with it all that concerns most people.
    most of those people want the courts to come down heavy on the crimes ...but not so much the drugs.
    when top ranking coppers want full legalisation and politicians and acedemics as well ...we are in for change ...at last.
  • Options
    Yes and no Rolly, as I have said before ACPO is in favor of relaxing the law, but the 'beat' officers are not. It is the struggle between the two which will shape drug law within the next five years.