Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The royal mint and taxes!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, i know this will probably sound dumb but i've bin thinking about it for a while and nobody seems to be able to explain it to me or give me a good reason why the hell not.

The royal mint produces money, why the hell don't we produce money and give it to third world countries etc.
Or no longer raise taxes, all tax rises be compensated by an increase in money production.

I know it sounds dumb, i don't see why not, could some one tell me, its probably got something to do with the economy.
But i'd like to know.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert in economics but I don't believe that tax rates and the money supply are wholly linked.

Money is simply a medium of exchange, which is considered more feasible than barter.
  • Options
    If we produced a lot more money the £ would be worth a lot less than it is eg a loaf of bread would cost £75845473893756.

I am no expert either, I think its also got something to do with how much Gold, Silver etc a country has.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    I am no expert either, I think its also got something to do with how much Gold, Silver etc a country has.

In ye olde days a country could only print as much money as it hard in reserves of gold.

It's not quite so strict now, but there is only a finite amount of resources a country as, so it can't keep printing money as each bit of money would increasingly be worth less. The Weimar Republic in Germany is the best example of this- they kept printing money, so consequently you needed a wheelbarrow full of money just to buy a loaf of bread and a pint of milk.
  • Options
    thanks

Thanks for the explanation.:cool:
  • Options
    Replace money with electronic labour credits.
  • Options
    Labour credits, how would that help?
    Explain?:confused: :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Buffy Boff
    Labour credits, how would that help?
    Explain?:confused: :cool:

Each job will be given a "credits per minute value" meaning for every minute someone in that job works they are given for arguments sake 2 credits onto some sort of smart card. Different jobs would have different rates based on their overall value to society.

These credits replace money as the chief method of exhange. Anything a person needs would be given to them by the government as soon as they reach a milestone for nothing i.e a spartan house. But they can use the credits they earn to buy things they want i.e a nice car.

Each manufactured good has a value based on the effort that has gone into it. People will still have the incentive to work but they won't be screwed over by their bosses or businesses as the entire economy is controlled centrally.

The government can still give handouts of credits to those who need it but it wouldn't result in any loss in any budget, they can also take it away just as easily if people who should work don't.

The entire need for a market economy would disappear.

In theory.

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Each job will be given a "credits per minute value" meaning for every minute someone in that job works they are given for arguments sake 2 credits onto some sort of smart card. Different jobs would have different rates based on their overall value to society.

These credits replace money as the chief method of exhange. Anything a person needs would be given to them by the government as soon as they reach a milestone for nothing i.e a spartan house. But they can use the credits they earn to buy things they want i.e a nice car.

Each manufactured good has a value based on the effort that has gone into it. People will still have the incentive to work but they won't be screwed over by their bosses or businesses as the entire economy is controlled centrally.

The government can still give handouts of credits to those who need it but it wouldn't result in any loss in any budget, they can also take it away just as easily if people who should work don't.

In theory.

I like this idea.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater

In theory.

Hmm it's very interesting. What about crime though, so you could get things really cheap if they were supposed to cost more you still cheat the system. I think without a market economy the country might collapse because it's too straightforward. I don't know why :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Hmm it's very interesting. What about crime though, so you could get things really cheap if they were supposed to cost more you still cheat the system. I think without a market economy the country might collapse because it's too straightforward. I don't know why :confused:

I think prices would still have to cover overheads like advertising and materials but they cheat the system already by overpricing goods and not paying people what they're worth. The only people that would lose out are those that gain from that.