Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hangover vs. Comedown?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
IS there much diff between a hangover or comedown? I've never done anything to get a comedown so just wated to know.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, there are quite a few differences.

A hangover is to do with the body recovering from the poison you have put into it. Your liver mainly but other organs have to expell this, this is hard work and takes a lot of water, which means you get dehydrated.
    It doesnt have a great deal to do with any of the mood altering chemicals in the brain, you feel bad because you are sick, not because of any huge change in the balance in the brain.

A comedown is a somewhat more complex situation because the term is applied to the after effects of many different drugs.

The comedown of amphetamine for example is basically the period where the drugs effects have mainly worn off yet you cant sleep. This is because there is enough of the drug to be active, but not enough to cause a 'high'. There is also the lack of dopamine in the brain.

MDMA causes a massive spike in the amount of seratonin in the brain, so the comedown from this is mainly a lack of this. However, there is also the lack of sleep issue, the stimulant effect of both MDMA and speed will help you push your body further than it should go. Then when this wears off your body realises how tired it is.

Obviously as well, any drug is in effect a poison to a greater or lesser degree and your body has to work to expell it.

I hope that gives you the basics.
  • Options
    come down wins hands down.
  • Options
    oh ...apart from heroin ...
  • Options
    Personally i think a proper hangover is worse than a comedown.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Personally i think a proper hangover is worse than a comedown.
    i was there with you brothr ...i was ill too. i was there when your empty stomach was retching nothing up ...the carrots had been ejected four hours ago ...i'm dieing ...oh my god i could have a heart attack and be pleased!
    come down wins hands down.
  • Options
    I'd rather have a hangover. At least it only lasts one day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I'd rather have a hangover. At least it only lasts one day.

not necissarly :(

depending on the drug i'd rather have a hangover, but i had this wickid coke comedown once, i was begging for a hangover that day... actually the comedown was mixed in with the hangover, but still...
  • Options
    depends on the severity, ive had crap comedowns and crap hangovers and ive had mild hangovers and mild comedowns. When i first started doing whizz, i actually quite enjoyed the comedowns as they felt warm and tired and dopey, but after id been doing it for a bit, the comedowns turned into something else, ie incapacity and cravings, tearful and not being able to do anything.
    I dont get particularly bad hangovers these days because i seem to know my limits, and apart from alcohol stopping me from sleeping (for some strange reason) the only hangover i get seems to result from lack of sleep and just general tiredness the next day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    not necissarly :(

My hangovers last all day. My comedowns last all week.

I know which I prefer.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I dont get particularly bad hangovers these days because i seem to know my limits, and apart from alcohol stopping me from sleeping (for some strange reason) the only hangover i get seems to result from lack of sleep and just general tiredness the next day.

I know a few people who get that, me included. I have no trouble getting to sleep, but then wake up a few hours later WIDE awake and utterly incapable of going back to sleep, no matter how tired I am......
  • Options
    That has to do with the way alcohol works.

It is a depressive, so it helps you get to sleep.

BUT, it is hard for the body to break down, and I think the process produces or acts as a stimulant.

SO, as the depressive effects wear off, and the stimulant effect is still there and you wake up and cant get back to sleep.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Thank you oh wise one.... :D
  • Options
    Give me a hangover over a comedown anyday. If i never have an MDMA comedown again, it will be FAR too soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Give me a hangover over a comedown anyday. If i never have an MDMA comedown again, it will be FAR too soon.

Amen.

I'd much prefer a hangover over a comedown for all the reasons suggested and also that, when I'm coming down I look like a friggin' muppet. Dinner plate pupils, battered looking face, etc etc. I wouldn't dare leave the house in paranoia, and well, because it's just so blatently obvious that I've been doing something.

Memories of being in the very, very packed bus station on one of the hottest Saturdays of last year on one motherfucker of a comedown. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    At least with a hangover you can act normally, you feel lousy but its not a killer. when i get to the point that an episode of friends doesnt make me laugh, im in a really bad way and that used to happen far too much.

On a come down, in the summer im lucky if i can drag myself to the park to sleep all afternoon in the warm, and in the winter im lucky if i dont leave a rave and sit in a daze on the train platform for 6 hours before getting enough motivation to move and go home.

I was on a killer speed hangover in town last summer, no sleep for a good few days it was hell, torture is actually a better word.

As with rainbow said about speed comedowns, how she used to quite like them, thats how i feel about them at the moment.
  • Options
    I dont get them that bad, mainly I think because I have learnt not to push it too hard.

The few times I have pushed a night out past the 18 hour mark has made me learn my lesson.

My of my best nights out ended in a really nasty comedown but it was actually really good. The night was fantastic and then I felt terrible afterwards, but, well the massive up and down made me feel really alive, I enjoyed it.