Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Garage..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Call me crazy but wasn't there a time when garage music was similar to house???
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The term "garage" comes from the Paradise Garage, a gay club in New York in the late 70's/early 80's that played a gospel influenced early form of house music (sometimes known as the "Philly sound"). In the mid 90's, some DJ's started pitching it up and mixing it with deep jungle style basslines and it became known as "speed garage". This then collided with jungle/drum'n'bass proper and r'n'b, reggae, hip hop, dancehall etc and became 2-step. Its since mutated and splintered into lots of different sub-genres. Some of the stuff I hear on pirate radio is amazing, a mix of old skool (breakbeat) hardcore, ragga/dancehall, hip hop, r'n'b, bhangra and techno.
    Theres a good sub-genre called grimey, eski or dubstep that has that broken 2-step rhythm but with a nasty ragga/yardcore and UK hip hop feel that fucking rocks. :D Stuff like Wiley, Roll Deep Cru, The Bug etc.
  • Options
    yeah wiley cracks me up! he's got a really unique style.

'Who told u that i made garage?' - now playing on 1xtra
  • Options
    Garage is shite. Full of attitude with kids that think the world owes them a favour. All that "bling" has gone to their loaf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Garage is shite. Full of attitude with kids that think the world owes them a favour. All that "bling" has gone to their loaf.

Thats exactly what was originally said about jungle. Its not reallt true. While there is a minority of people who are moody fucks, the majority of people just want to party.
    The music coming out of the 2-step scene, grime, eski, dubstep, yardcore etc is some of the most exciting dance music I've heard in years.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Garage used to be happy music, i dont know what has happened to it?! I used to have so much fun at garage events met some great people (im going back years and years ago here) Now, its changed and garage 'raves' have been banned so garage 'ravers' are infecting the drum&bass scene more and more. Theyre going to get drum&bass events banned soon and its pissing me off.

Look what they did in East London a few months ago, gun shots the lot.. its disgusting.

Again, pretty much what was said about jungle/drum'n'bass back in the early - mid 90's. Its mostly nonsense, with a slight undercurrent of racism - the perception that lots of black people at an event = trouble.
  • Options
    From my somewhat limited perspective I have noticed the change in attitude between Hardcore and Drum and Bass events.

The former is virtually always friendly, nice, happy and up beat.

The latter is populated by more coke dealers than I could shake a stick at, quite a few (but not the majority) moody people, and quite a few blokes who think its aright to grope women.
  • Options
    To be fair, I don't go to the big events, I go to smaller word of mouth clubs and parties and these tend to be quite friendly. You do have to watch your back sometimes, but you have to do that in most places.
    I think the difference is, that if you're used to cheesy teen hardcore/hardhouse/hardtrance pillfests where everyone is totally OTT, pilled up and keeeraaazy maaaaan, you're gonna think its moody, 'cos people aren't overly friendly in that annoying E honeymoon sweaty gurning raver way.
  • Options
    I've tended to stick to the smaller free parties where most people know each other, etc. I don't really go near commercial events any more. In my experience, the people who go to these sort of smaller, word of mouth ones mainly go for the music and that's what I like about it. Most people are on the same level so it's more of a relaxed sort of vibe and so you don't really get the piss head who just wanna start a fight, etc, etc. so basicly what Blagsta said.
  • Options
    Innit :)
  • Options
    I'd aggree with you about the smaller events, I went to Moondance a while back and I wasnt that impressed.

But the last Elation I went to was really top, everyone was friendly and I knew more people, and they werent "I've had 15 mitzi's" type friendly, just nice people.

RIP Future Dance, long live Elation.