Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Old fashioned politics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't like how the process goes and they bring something to the house of parliament and have a certain amount of time to discuss it, and then people vote. I think it's in need of modernisation!

Some issues need to be fasttracked and then the larger issues can have more time. Filibustering (sp?) should be banned! :mad:

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    fast tracking leads to legislations that are not properly scrutinised with loopholes that can be manipulated and they will not be well thought through. This is a dangerous idea where national law is being talked about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    fast tracking leads to legislations that are not properly scrutinised with loopholes that can be manipulated and they will not be well thought through. This is a dangerous idea where national law is being talked about.

i dont mean major things but very small things. like an amendment so that if a 40 yr old has sex with a 13 yr old they can be sentanced for more than 3 years. common sense changes that no one will argue with but because of the time they take to pass through the houses of parliament more pressing issues take priority.
  • Options
    Have you got a story about a case of this nature ?

just curious thats all, but I agree things need to change.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    Have you got a story about a case of this nature ?

just curious thats all, but I agree things need to change.

fox hunting; they were gonna ban it years ago but it was blocked because someone in the house of lords talked for too long so they had no time to vote. you cant stop them from talking so... thats filibustering. one person can stop the whole process if they're damned stubborn enough!
  • Options
    The fact that the MP's have to walk through the "Aye" and "No" lobby's when they vote. Surely that wastes so much time. Why not introduce a electronic voting sort of thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    The fact that the MP's have to walk through the "Aye" and "No" lobby's when they vote. Surely that wastes so much time. Why not introduce a electronic voting sort of thing.

No chance. It will cost millions and still not work. I would rather they save the money.
  • Options
    Good in theory

Modinisation is a way forward most of the time, it can lead to good and bad things.
    The problem you have is drawing a line, how do you define what issues and laws that are in discussion should be dealt with quickly, and which should be drawn out and discussed in depth.
    This could lead to loop holes and problems within laws etc.
    :cool: