Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New rant: People who slag off men for wearing make up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Read it here

So do you agree? Or do you hate make up on men?

Susie :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no, i don't agree.

the point of make-up is to enhance the femininity of women to make them more attractive to the opposite sex.

men are instinctively drawn to a partner with big eyes, full lips, soft, clear skin and shiny hair, because it says 'youth' to them, and youth = fertility (seriously, i'm not making this up). so we, as women, use make-up to fake or enhance this youthful look.

so to me, there really doesn't seem much point in men wearing it, and personally i think it makes them look silly.
    hate is such a strong word, but any man who uses make-up looks either stupid or fruity.
    i dont particularly care
    I think guys who wear black eyeliner can be sexy looking - like Robbie Williams in that music video he did with Kylie Minogue.

But wouldn't go to far with it - like lipstick, foundation, blusher, etc. That's just freaky looking -

As kaffrin says it's to help girls look more feminine so then you can see why it wouldn't look well on a guy if they go over board.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Kermit
    any man who uses make-up looks either stupid or fruity.

:yes:

What he said!
    Weekender Offender 
    I think most men who wear make up do it to rebel really. I mean being able to stand out in the crowd kinda thing. It's the same with goths really [don't get me started on those things :p], they say how individual they are, and how they don't want people to pay any attention to them etc, but you can't help but notice if someone has a face like a ghost. It just looks wrong.

I do see where people come from with the gay people and make up thing - not trying to offend anyone, but it does tend to be the open minded blokes who wear it. Not many girls tend to go for lads that look nearly as girly as themselves. It seems to be part of this "alternative" cult thats going around at the moment - make yourself look or do something completely different and everyone will respect you for it.

Duffy
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I think guys who wear black eyeliner can be sexy looking - like Robbie Williams in that music video he did with Kylie Minogue.

So true!!

and i don't know if nail varnish counts but Seth Green in Buffy...........
    Re: New rant: People who slag off men for wearing make up
    Originally posted by Susie
    make up on men?

*cough* Miriam *cough*

No, it is not right. I don't think it is appropriate :no:
    I have a thing for boys who wear eyeliner. Not loooads, not gothic style, but for special occasions with the right outfit... rah :D

I dont think I could handle it though if a lad wore foundation and stuff, thats just weird. hehe.
    Guy + make up = :yuck:

I just think the whole make up scene is for of a femanine (sp) thing

but then I don't even like girls wearing alot. I like a girl to have a more natural look about her but I don't mind it I suppose, Like just a little bit.. I just find girls who shove tons and tons of Very VERY unattractive.
    Originally posted by FireyFirenze
    I have a thing for boys who wear eyeliner. Not loooads, not gothic style, but for special occasions with the right outfit... rah :D

I dont think I could handle it though if a lad wore foundation and stuff, thats just weird. hehe.

BUSTED! :p

Not spoken to you in years! How be ye? :p
    Originally posted by Doofay
    BUSTED! :p

Not spoken to you in years! How be ye? :p

How did you know! :D Matt with eyeliner = yum. In fact I may change my icon thing...

I am fiiiine, I know I havent spoke to ye for ages. Still enjoying school and the 478? hehe. If you actually updated your livejournal I could speak to you more boy :p
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd seen a guy in make-up and lisptick a couple of years ago, and I don't think it looked any worse than on a woman. The only reason I remember it is because I haven't seen a guy in make-up before or since.
    I don't mean to offend anyone (and if you understand what I say, you shouldn't be offended anyway) but in my experiense, women look much better with no make-up on them. It seems that most people disagree though.
    I agree with some types of make up on men, but not others.

I think gothic make-up looks good on anyone, but a guy who wore proper woman's make-up would look wierd.

I personally wouldn't want to wear eyeliner. When I was in school plays I was of course made up and I found putting on eye make-up an unpleasant experience.
    I would do nail varnish Seth Green style, though. But only in black. I once saw a guy with off-white perlescent nail varnish. It looked soooo wrong.
    quite a few of the bokes i know wear eyeliner, or nail varnish, strictly black tho up to now.

andthey're all straight.

there's nothing wrong with it, as long as they don't end up looking better than you!
    puffs ...
    I have a thing for boys who wear eyeliner. Not loooads, not gothic style, but for special occasions with the right outfit... rah

:yes: :yum: absolutely!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    puffs ...

I have noticed that a lot of the homosexuals I work with wear make up, but to say all men who wear make up are gay is heavily stereotypical.
    except for those "punks" sporting the good charlotte eyeliner look i've never seen a guy in makeup... at least that i could tell. i wouldn't be hideously discusted if a guy know some good makeup tricks to cover up a face full of zits, but thats all about i could stand.
    i don't like guys in make up because i'm supposed to be the pretty one, not them! how weird would that be if he started borrowing my eyeliner. he'd be gona in a shot i can tell you!

i don't mind fake tan, plucking eyebrows i can cope with but anymore than that and it's just getting ridiculous.
    so we, as women, use make-up to fake or enhance this youthful look.

Or the ugly ones that try to look nice. :)
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    no, i don't agree.

the point of make-up is to enhance the femininity of women to make them more attractive to the opposite sex.

men are instinctively drawn to a partner with big eyes, full lips, soft, clear skin and shiny hair, because it says 'youth' to them, and youth = fertility (seriously, i'm not making this up). so we, as women, use make-up to fake or enhance this youthful look.

so to me, there really doesn't seem much point in men wearing it, and personally i think it makes them look silly.

It worked for Miranda didn't it? :p
    I don't think there's anything wrong with males wearing a little bit of make-up, as long as they don't go over the top... Some of the guys i know have been known to wear make-up at parties, especially if they get drunk, cos then, they'll agree to anything... :p (not looking specifically at you here Renzokuken :p)

I can deal with blokes wearing a little make-up, i can deal with them using fake tan, plucking eyebrows is just ok, but waxing from the waist to the knees is a tad excessive me thinks...but that's what one of my mates bf's wants to do... :confused:
    well thank you to all those of you that have agreed with me, more people will start to realise that "ahme" is NOT GAY!!!!!
    "ahme" is NOT GAY!!!!!

It is. No real man would consider the thought of wearing make up. Why would they want to paint their nails or gloss up their lips? Make up was invented for woman and not for men. Men are sposed to be a bit rough around the edges and not be looking pretty in pink.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Men are sposed to be a bit rough around the edges and not be looking pretty in pink.
    exactly :yum:
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Hence why we have stubble.

Although it makes me look like a criminal :o

Stubble can make most men look well cute...
    I went out with a guy who wore make up some years ago. He was the 'trendy' type, smart expensive clothes etc, he used to wear foundation. And bronzer. It freaked me out first time i saw him wear it and we broke up, just because it screamed out 'vain' rather than 'gay'

After him, i went out with a second guy who wore make up, part of his 'alternative' thing, eye liner and that, black and pink nail varnish. I thought it looked pretty good.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    It is. No real man would consider the thought of wearing make up. Why would they want to paint their nails or gloss up their lips? Make up was invented for woman and not for men. Men are sposed to be a bit rough around the edges and not be looking pretty in pink.

i'm sorry but who desides what makes you a "real man"?
    a real man to me is one who is not afraid to express himself, not the whole "i'm macho, go out with me cos you're a good looking bird" thing, that just doesn't work for me. fine if that is how you feel and what to live your life then fine go ahead, but why??

Luby
    And also, in other cultures and tribes etc (african and asian) men sit about and look pretty for the women, they wear make up and do all the 'feminine' stuff, whilst women do what we consider blokey stuff.

So, over there youre not a 'real man' unless you ARE wearing make up.

Just goes to show there is no one type of 'real man' and no one way a 'real man' is supposed to be.