Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

gloss, not grease... and waves

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed a lot of people recently that have brown hair and it's really lovely and shiny. I don't know if it's natural or what but I want mine to be be shiny! But it's dyed blonde and hence pretty much matt. What' good for promoting shine, style-wise? Like wax and stuff? I have a Charles Worthington sleek and shine thing, but it's so hard to put exactly the right amount on.

Also... again it tends to be brunettes that look nice with hair like this! But I've seen a lot of people recently that have little kinky waves in their hair, when I was little I used to get them by putting plaits in my hair but now that just makes it afro and frizzy; probably partly because it's quite short - just above my shoulders. Is there and other way of getting this hairstyle? I don't want actual curls... just kinky waves :) Hope you know what I mean lol.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dark hair is always going to shine more, but there is some stuff you could do.

Give the hair a final rinse with cold water (the colder the better) after you wash it. This seals the cuticles (or something :P) and makes it shine more. Plus, it feels nice!

You can do the same with the "cold" setting on your hairdryer.

I wouldnt go with wax, its not really a shine product. Try serum or creme...only put on a tiny bit though! You can always add more!

The plaits would work to make it kinky i reckon. Put some product on it either before you plait or afterwards to control frizz. And dont do the plaits so tight, make them a little looser, then the hair wont stick out as much. If you dont want to sleep on them...do this on dry hair, then squeeze straighteners down them :)

just some ideas!
    Thanx :) I did think about trying the plait/straightener thing but didn't know if it would work... then forgot about it lol. Might try it though!
    Ceramic curling tongs, have heard they are quite good
    Dark hair always looks more shiny-er. Like Draven said, try a good quality serum - Kerestase do some good ones, more expensive, but you definately get your moneys worth. This will smooth out any frizz and add shine. Be careful not to just apply to the roots of your hair, coz it'll make it look greasy. Squeeze a small amount into your hands and rub the product into your hands well. Work it throught the lengths and ends of your hair using you fingers, and then with the excess left on your hands, smooth it over the roots to get rid of any whispyness.

As for the curls thing...you could use hair tongs, but they give more of a definate curl. If you find the plait/straightner thing doesnt work, wash your hair of an evening, and sleep with it rapped up in the towel. Wen you wake up in the morning, it'll still be a little damp, but you'll notice a loose tousled effect. Using a little moose and smothing serum, scrunch your hair with your hands and ten leave to dry naturally, or use a defuser attachment on the end of the hairdryer. You can always then go over the parts of your hair that you want straight with straighners, I.E a fringe if you have one or something.

Wow, I just realised Ive written loads, heh. :)
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Dark hair always looks more shiny-er. Like Draven said, try a good quality serum - Kerestase do some good ones, more expensive, but you definately get your moneys worth. This will smooth out any frizz and add shine. Be careful not to just apply to the roots of your hair, coz it'll make it look greasy. Squeeze a small amount into your hands and rub the product into your hands well. Work it throught the lengths and ends of your hair using you fingers, and then with the excess left on your hands, smooth it over the roots to get rid of any whispyness.

As for the curls thing...you could use hair tongs, but they give more of a definate curl. If you find the plait/straightner thing doesnt work, wash your hair of an evening, and sleep with it rapped up in the towel. Wen you wake up in the morning, it'll still be a little damp, but you'll notice a loose tousled effect. Using a little moose and smothing serum, scrunch your hair with your hands and ten leave to dry naturally, or use a defuser attachment on the end of the hairdryer. You can always then go over the parts of your hair that you want straight with straighners, I.E a fringe if you have one or something.

Wow, I just realised Ive written loads, heh. :)

you'd never guess you worked at a hairdressers. :p
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    you'd never guess you worked at a hairdressers. :p
    Yah. Worked :(

The slave labour ended on saturday.

how long did you suffer?
    i did a year and a half before i gave up.

dunno about the blonde looking shiny, my bleached bits just look shriveled and dead..
    luckily the majority of mine's black/brown in any case.

try a natural bristle brush, ie boars bristle i think it is, can make all the difference

Oh, well the :( face makes me think you got sacked; and the slave labour bit makes me think you quit.
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    how long did you suffer?
    A year.
    in the final rinse mix a little vinegar with cold water
    for some reason this makes my hair really shiny
    but then i do have dark hair
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    in the final rinse mix a little vinegar with cold water
    for some reason this makes my hair really shiny
    but then i do have dark hair

Won that just make you all stinky?
    Originally posted by Zella
    Won that just make you all stinky?

no cos u dont use enough to make it smell.
    That thing with the plaits and straighteners worked :D so thankee :D