Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

doing gothic properly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok mst have seen the photo, how do i do the gothic look properly with out leaning to wards the grungeie, punky look?

and for summer? what do i do?

yes i am willing to lean to the industrial side of things but tell me how.

i own 2 pair of big black boots, i have a long black coat, 2 pentcles, and things like that and i'm gonna buy some spikes but any other sugestions??
????

Luby

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.gothornot.co.uk

copying others?

learn how to do it oh so right,or oh so wrong according to their ratings
    Re: doing gothic properly
    Originally posted by luby

and for summer? what do i do?

Don't go outdoors, as looking at your pasty white face in direct sunlight will cause instant blindness.
    Oh. My god.

Y'know, I didn't think it was possible. But in one post (Yep, thats right you partially blind people, one post) you managed to take away the entire meaning of the whole gothic lifestyle in the first place.

Seriously, Luby...don't have kids.
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    Oh. My god.

Y'know, I didn't think it was possible. But in one post (Yep, thats right you partially blind people, one post) you managed to take away the entire meaning of the whole gothic lifestyle in the first place.

What do you mean?
    Originally posted by leese
    What do you mean?

I think he means 'gothic' isn't supposed to be a look you just 'go' for. It should come natural, and you shouldn't acquire it, because you have an incline into that way of life, just because it's cool.

People are either properly, traditionally gothic with all the ornate and intricate detail leaning toward nosterfartu - I know I spelled that wrong :p - kind of way. But then again, that's quite presumptous. I know it's got a lot to do with a darker way of life toward the Victorian/medival times.

Ach, I dunno. It's hard to articulate. :|
    No need to get personal kids...
    SUSIE!

There you are..close that thread over in Anything Goes, eh?

Sorry :(
    Originally posted by 1983
    I think he means 'gothic' isn't supposed to be a look you just 'go' for. It should come natural, and you shouldn't acquire it, because you have an incline into that way of life, just because it's cool.

People are either properly, traditionally gothic with all the ornate and intricate detail leaning toward nosterfartu - I know I spelled that wrong :p - kind of way. But then again, that's quite presumptous. I know it's got a lot to do with a darker way of life toward the Victorian/medival times.

Ach, I dunno. It's hard to articulate. :|

yes, i know what you mean but right now i'm having an identity crisis, and i feel like i look really crappy. so i just wanted some advice, as i'm sat here in my PJs cos everything i put on looks crappy.
    Everyone has identity crisis, I still dunno what kind of look I go for. I can be as studenty as the next, then I can get into a denim mini, boots, and a sexy top and be a saucy wee minx the next!

Just try different looks, and try not to have all these ponces hear/read about it, cause they'll dictate you no means :(

You can go into TopShop, and book an appointment with a style advisor for free, and you don't need to buy anything :D

Hope this helps.

x
    Originally posted by 1983
    Everyone has identity crisis, I still dunno what kind of look I go for. I can be as studenty as the next, then I can get into a denim mini, boots, and a sexy top and be a saucy wee minx the next!

Just try different looks, and try not to have all these ponces hear/read about it, cause they'll dictate you no means :(

You can go into TopShop, and book an appointment with a style advisor for free, and you don't need to buy anything :D

Hope this helps.

x

theres a top shop in marbella i wonder if you can do that there, but top shop, to me says tiny sizes, and mainly very skimpy things. i wish there were some good gothic shops round here, but the there arn't many spanish "sinestros", they are mainly german, english, or dutch.

arghghhgghgghgh
    Take some magazine cuttings with you along to shops, and say do you have this...?

You;d be surprised what looks you could get from the high street these days :)
    There's eBay and other online shops - though most online goth shops are quite expensive, you may be able to find bargains on eBay. There's alternative shops in most reasonably sized cities I'm pretty sure, and if not maybe you could attempt making your own stuff or making the clothes in more fashionable shops into your own style. I dress 'alternative' sometimes but it's rare that I go for the proper goth look and I'm deffo not a fan of the white face (although I love eyeliner :D). I agree with Rise & Shine to a certain extent - I can see where you're coming from in that you want to change your look, kinda thing - but surely the genre is about individuality and self-expression, and therefore you really need to bring your personality into it. For starters, is it the lacy, Romantic type of Goth you're going for? Or the more modern baggies look? When I was interested in becoming a Goth about 3 or 4 years ago I looked it up on the net and found lots of information on different styles of Goth. Cyber Goth, Vampire Goth, Romantic Goth... etc. About the summer - well, you boil, and that's that. If one is going to dress in black, then one must expect to put up with the heat. Especially if you are a fan of leather.
    In the summer you bake...don't take your coat off, and even when the makeup starts sliding off your face don't take it off!!
    I'm not going to comment on the whole 'gothic is a lifestyle' issue, as that's not what you're asking..

I will advise against the over usage of black eyeliner. And the applying of black lipstick. If you want to be a 'goth' DON'T wear black lipstick. Personally, I think it mings, and mings on ANYONE... it doesn't do anyone justice, so don't do it :p;)

Oh, and don't dye your hair permanent black... brown roots with black ends looks incredibly hideous.... ;) If you want to dye hair black, go for a semi permanent natural dark brown or ebony. It won't be pitch black, but it will guard against unsightly roots...

SweetLeaf.
    Originally posted by SweetLeaf
    Oh, and don't dye your hair permanent black... brown roots with black ends looks incredibly hideous.... ;) If you want to dye hair black, go for a semi permanent natural dark brown or ebony. It won't be pitch black, but it will guard against unsightly roots...

Ever seen black hair with ginger roots? :eek:

I agree with the root thing; when I wanted to dye my hair black and red the hairdresser advised me to go for very dark brown instead. You can't tell the difference, but it's a lot less harsh, and easier to get rid of if you change your mind.
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Ever seen black hair with ginger roots? :eek:

I

yeah that's the worst!
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    Oh. My god.

Haha. :heart:
    how about just look around and buy stuff you like instead of what other people think would suit the "gothic look"
    Re: Re: doing gothic properly
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Don't go outdoors, as looking at your pasty white face in direct sunlight will cause instant blindness.

love you <33
    leave her alone.
    she doesnt know any better and with you lot doing your 'more hadcore than thou' act she never will.
    slight conjouling is whats needed.

personally, i dont really understand the desire to wear trench coats in summer, nor break my neck in 8 inch heels, but if thats what floats your boat then hey, whatever.

try and work with your natural complexion though, layering on the foundation etc will just clog your pores and give you bad skin. suntan lotion is what's needed. having irish skin im never far from the factor 45 and i stay milk bottle white so ya know...
    Originally posted by leese
    http://www.gothornot.co.uk

copying others?

learn how to do it oh so right,or oh so wrong according to their ratings
    OMG. I'm sure I know this person from college. That is quite random...
    Originally posted by luby
    but right now i'm having an identity crisis,

I dont think you can ask people on a forum what your identity is.
This discussion has been closed.