Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

pill packets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a quick question, I'm travelling at the moment and am taking 3 pill packets back to back. I'm on my third packet now with 9 pills left before I have the break. Thing is, I'm going camping on an island then and so don't want my period then! If I don't finish the packet I'm on, ie. stop taking those pills now, can I have a period now then start a new packet in 7 days? Or do I have to finish it? I don't think I could take 4 packets at once either or can you do that? sorry if this is confusing!
Anyways, i'd really appreciate some quick answers as its hard to get to the internet apart from today! thanks alot guys xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stop now if you like and finish off where you left off 7 days later.
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Stop now if you like and finish off where you left off 7 days later.

NO!NO!NO! NO!

I went to the doctor about something to do with the pill and i am so glad that i did because i would have made the same mistake.

Even if you have been taking cpill packets for the past couple of months without a break - you CANNOT stop in the middle of a 21 day cycle - you have to take the full lot.

What happened with me was I was taking from a couple different pill packets at the same time so I had no idea where I was in the 21 day cycle and was planning to stop as I was - my doctor said i MUST NOT do that. But because I wasn't at all sure he just said - come off now, have your bleed and in 7 days time start a new packet, but because it wasn't a full cycle last time round you must use extra contraception for the next two weeks!

I hope you get this!

Pill instructions are shit
    It's important that you finish all the pills in your pack before having a break. As for taking four packets back to back, I really wouldn't advise it. You may find that your PMT symptoms are worse after taking a few packs in a row, and prolonging that even more could make it even worse. I know it's difficult to cope with you period when you're travelling, but it's probably best all round if you just grin and bear it this time.
    Originally posted by leese
    NO!NO!NO! NO!

I went to the doctor about something to do with the pill and i am so glad that i did because i would have made the same mistake.

Even if you have been taking cpill packets for the past couple of months without a break - you CANNOT stop in the middle of a 21 day cycle - you have to take the full lot.

What happened with me was I was taking from a couple different pill packets at the same time so I had no idea where I was in the 21 day cycle and was planning to stop as I was - my doctor said i MUST NOT do that. But because I wasn't at all sure he just said - come off now, have your bleed and in 7 days time start a new packet, but because it wasn't a full cycle last time round you must use extra contraception for the next two weeks!

I hope you get this!

Pill instructions are shit

Ooer, I always stop in the middle so I know what day I have to start again. :/
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I know what you mean Lisa, but it depends on what type of pill you're on. I'm on microgynon 30, and I went and cleared it with a FP nurse to make sure that I was ok doing what you described, and even then I had to be sure that I'd taken a full cycle of pills, even if the packet was only half empty.

im on ovranette which is the same as microgynon just a different name and my doctor completely contradicts that, see above post.
    But you mentioned there that you didn't know where abouts in your cycle you were - I did. Otherwise we've been given very conflicting advice.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    But you mentioned there that you didn't know where abouts in your cycle you were - I did. Otherwise we've been given very conflicting advice.

But he gave me the impression you had to take a full 21 days at a time!

do you know what, this really fucks me off - there is so much confusion over the pill - you can be really careful and still make mistakes - something needs to be done to raise more awareness, there is a good section on here but i still see loads of posts asking questions - does anyone agree?