Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how to save a lot of money.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
cheap t-shirt + fabric print = mucho cheapness.

only now i have no other ideas for prints.

please note that the print is not the mingy orange colour it looks in the photo. it's a bright red.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heh. :thumb: I so done one of them a little while back, tis quite fun to do actually. :D
    that's wicked kaff :thumb:
    wow!! thats ace!!:D

think i just might have to have go!
    That so cool!! I have some fabric paint already, i'm waiting for payday to buy some t-shirts to customise *wanders off grumbling about monthly pay*
    thats good :D
    what kind of fabric paint did you use?

i have dylon stuff that you get in a little glass pot...just the same as paint

it doesnt look like that though when its on...that looks better!
    tesco do cheap t-shirts in their value range; £2.50 i think.

or they also do cherokee ones for £4 which fit nicely.

i like the topshop ones for £5, i've got 4. :D
    Originally posted by draven
    what kind of fabric paint did you use?

it's screen printed, so i used textile printing ink, which is pretty expensive, but it looks good, and is wash-safe and colour-fast.

you can also use acrylic paint mixed with textile medium, but that's a bit shitter.

fabric paint is fine on light-coloured fabrics, but crap on anything dark.
    How do you start screen printing then?
    What equipment? cost? do you have to be a generally arty person to use that method?

I've been using dylon paint on black tops.. it usually washes out, or flakes off, and I'm sick of having to keep repainting..

Any suggestions Kaffrin?

Ilora x
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    How do you start screen printing then?
    What equipment? cost? do you have to be a generally arty person to use that method?

well, you don't have to be leonardo da vinci, but a bit of artistic ability will get you everywhere.

screen printing is fun, and fairly simple, but it is pretty expensive. i got a value start up kit for about £45, but the inks and screen filler and stuff is expensive, and doesn't last as long as you'd think.

I've been using dylon paint on black tops.. it usually washes out, or flakes off, and I'm sick of having to keep repainting..

i think the problem there is that you're not heat fixing it for long enough, you do have to iron it with a very hot/dry iron for like 5 minutes (with a clean cloth on top). which seems like a long time. havig said that, i've not had a great deal of luck using fabric paints on dark fabrics. especially dylon. i've had more luck with setacolour paints.
    Hmm, I think I am ironing them for long enough, I just think the paints crap lol..

I'll try the setacolour paints, then if all else fails, I'm gonna give screen printing a go!

Ta Kaffrin :)

Ilora x
    I could be tempted to try that but I`m really getting too old for t-shirts with words on now. :)
    i did some tops a while back using that printing paper you can get for computers.can work really well on light colours+lasts quite well too.shit on dark colours thou :(
    Or if you want to be a cheapskate and just use one t-shirt... use Wilko Colourtime kids metallic paint like I did :D Washes off in one wash.

The t-shirt looks great Kaffrin :D One of these days I will abuse my staff discount at work and get some t-shirt paper :hyper: