Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just realised this.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else think the countries gone totally shit under labour? Now i'm not one of them guys who goes around wearing the colour of my political party, probably cause i dont have 1 (well id be "green party" if any) but the countries simply gone shit, hospitals are shit, schools are shit, laws shit and basically everythings gone shit

I think blair just would prefer hiding up bushes arse than sorting our problems out.

Who agrees?

Comments

• Options
    Everythings shit all the time.

Oh wait, might be a bit shitter in...Africa.....or china....or south america....

'Democracy is absolutely the worst system apart from all the others' - - Winston Churchill (our greatest britain, and he wanted to bomb the kurds!):confused:
  • Options
    Re: Just realised this.....
    Originally posted by solid_L
    Does anyone else think the countries gone totally shit under labour? Now i'm not one of them guys who goes around wearing the colour of my political party, probably cause i dont have 1 (well id be "green party" if any) but the countries simply gone shit, hospitals are shit, schools are shit, laws shit and basically everythings gone shit

I think blair just would prefer hiding up bushes arse than sorting our problems out.

Who agrees?
    sorry solid but i have to dissagree. are you old enough to remember the tories? they used to be in government but hopefully never will be again.
    when they ruled, it rained in schools ...there was a shortage of books for the kids ...they sold our oil off to foriegn companies and themselves. they sold our water to themselves at knock down prices ...along with electricity and gas. share holders became more important than customers or quality.
    the nhs was gasping its last breath but is now growing stronger once again ...it all takes time to show up though.
    yes theres plenty wrong and yes they have made some monumental fuck ups. but i'm praying the tories never get their thieving uncaring grubby fingers back in the till.
  • Options
    Yeah - but It was shitter under the tories mate!
  • Options
    supply side economics....well i'll show you some parts of this city that never got supplied by that theory (and there's waaaaay better examples other places in the country).

Oh yeah and everything Scargill said came true:D
  • Options
    The Tories were worse.
  • Options
    greed is killing us. it's killing other creatures. it's killing the fucking planet ...and still they want more and more and more ...
    your all sat in your comfortable houses on the comfortable internet ...surrounded with instant water instant gas and electricity ...instant entertainment ...massive food supplies like never before in history ...and still they want more ...and more ...and more.
    so we have a few problems ... what great hardships and difficulties are you complaining about then?
  • Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said, the Conservatives made everything all messed up
  • Options
    Right wing governments- even if they manage to get the economy into anything better than their trademark 'boom and bust' periods- only benefit the very rich. Ordinary people are fucked up the arse by right wing governments in the immense majority of cases.

I'm pretty damn unhappy with this Labour government and couldn't bring myself to vote for the war criminal and his New Labour colleagues- but disgusting foreign policy aside they're still much better for ordinary people than the Tories ever were.
  • Options
    makes you feel well guilty doesnt it.

I work at the Novotel southampton (hotel) and i was setting up for a big conferrence for the Co-OP group for a big brand launch.

they are actually introducing a full range of own brand Fair trade products.

i was so impressed, thats one in the face for all those intellectual marxist ****s who sit around and muse about the exploitative nature of capitalism, market forces acting to influence the goods that are bought.

People start to care about what they buy = a market opens up,

Dont get me wrong we still have waaaaay to go yet but its a start.

No fuck it im starting another separate thread to anounce this.

SHOUT IT FROM THE MUTHA FUCKIN ROOFTOPS!:D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Just realised this.....
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sorry solid but i have to dissagree. are you old enough to remember the tories? they used to be in government but hopefully never will be again.
    when they ruled, it rained in schools ...there was a shortage of books for the kids ...they sold our oil off to foriegn companies and themselves. they sold our water to themselves at knock down prices ...along with electricity and gas. share holders became more important than customers or quality.
    the nhs was gasping its last breath but is now growing stronger once again ...it all takes time to show up though.
    yes theres plenty wrong and yes they have made some monumental fuck ups. but i'm praying the tories never get their thieving uncaring grubby fingers back in the till.

very true!!
  • Options
    Oh, for God's sake, New Labour have been in for seven years now. "The Tories were worse" simply doesn't wash anymore.

Besides which, the Tories were different, not strictly worse. Choosing between, say, privatisation of British Leyland and having no power after 10pm and a three-day week because the trade unionists were on strike again, I think I would choose privatisation. Choosing between the Poll Tax and rotting bodies piling up in mortuaries because the trade unionists were on strike again, I'd choose the Poll Tax. It smells less.

But as for Blair- I don't things have gone shit, but Bliar has made them a lot worse. The rot really started in about 1988, and got steadily worse- Bliar has accelerated the decline, though, because he doesn't know what he's supposed to think.

New Labour are a "working class party" who go and cut benefits to single mothers, and who make it virtually impossible for all but the richest children to go to University; New Labour is a "fat cat party" that introduces the New Deal, Sure Start and a minimum wage. New Labour are a "peaceful" party that go off on pointless wars; New Labour are a "public ownership party" who go off to privatise the hospitals and the London Underground.

The "Third Way" should work- the right attitude is somewhere between trade unionist militancy and greed and Thatcherite miltancy and greed, but New Labour's policies seem to take the worst from both not the best. Which means that they probably are worse than the Tories, Thatcher and Major, and they probably are worse than the trade union greed, miltancy, corruption and ransoming of Old Labour under Callaghan and Foot.
  • Options
    They're both shit, but I think Labour are marginally better.

I don't think you really rememeber the Tories do you Kermit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I don't think you really rememeber the Tories do you Kermit?

I remember Major's leadership, but not really Thatcher's, no. So I suppose my opinions of her, and definitely of Callaghan before that, come from other sources- family mostly. So meh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    greed is killing us. it's killing other creatures. it's killing the fucking planet ...and still they want more and more and more ...
    your all sat in your comfortable houses on the comfortable internet ...surrounded with instant water instant gas and electricity ...instant entertainment ...massive food supplies like never before in history ...and still they want more ...and more ...and more.
    so we have a few problems ... what great hardships and difficulties are you complaining about then?

:yes:

Mr Roll, you think the same way I do on this matter.

All we want is more and more all the time and fair enough, we need food and warmth and a social life... and we have this, which is awesome compared to most countries. Why'd you think we're getting all these immigrants in? because life here is great... yet we still complain.

I'd rather live here than anywhere else...
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    life here is great... yet we still complain.

It's easier to criticise than complain.

Which, to an extent, is fair enough- if people started being content with their lot, and stopped pushing the boundaries, then everything would stagnate and turn sour. Evolution means we must always be critical and questioning in order to improve.

But saying nice things for a change would be pleasant :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I remember Major's leadership, but not really Thatcher's, no. So I suppose my opinions of her, and definitely of Callaghan before that, come from other sources- family mostly. So meh.

Major was just the tail end. Thatcher was the fucking bitch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Oh, for God's sake, New Labour have been in for seven years now. "The Tories were worse" simply doesn't wash anymore.

Besides which, the Tories were different, not strictly worse. Choosing between, say, privatisation of British Leyland and having no power after 10pm and a three-day week because the trade unionists were on strike again, I think I would choose privatisation. Choosing between the Poll Tax and rotting bodies piling up in mortuaries because the trade unionists were on strike again, I'd choose the Poll Tax. It smells less.

But as for Blair- I don't things have gone shit, but Bliar has made them a lot worse. The rot really started in about 1988, and got steadily worse- Bliar has accelerated the decline, though, because he doesn't know what he's supposed to think.

New Labour are a "working class party" who go and cut benefits to single mothers, and who make it virtually impossible for all but the richest children to go to University; New Labour is a "fat cat party" that introduces the New Deal, Sure Start and a minimum wage. New Labour are a "peaceful" party that go off on pointless wars; New Labour are a "public ownership party" who go off to privatise the hospitals and the London Underground.

The "Third Way" should work- the right attitude is somewhere between trade unionist militancy and greed and Thatcherite miltancy and greed, but New Labour's policies seem to take the worst from both not the best. Which means that they probably are worse than the Tories, Thatcher and Major, and they probably are worse than the trade union greed, miltancy, corruption and ransoming of Old Labour under Callaghan and Foot.
    kermit ...we aren't talking oldl abour with its many faults ...especialy excessive union power. we are talking new labour.
    new labour has got rid of the steel works cotton mill mining we should own all the means of production attitude. that attitude could not survive in the modern world. yes ...thatcher made that change ...new labour has changed with it.
    the big difference is the tories by nature haven't and cannot change.
    it's about self self self ...there is no such thing as society so grab all you can now. thatchers legacy to the world.
    new labour have many faults ...all governments do but ...they have made massive improvements to society ...that thing the tories believe doesn't exist.
    the fear for gays ...single mums ...blacks ...asians ...the unemployed ...the mortgage payer ...has largely gone. believe me ...there realy was a feeling of fear under thatchers rule and nothing has changed with the tories. of course we have to look after business and investment but ...the tories were and are the selfish party. they wreck any chance of building a modern infrastructure everytime they are in power.
    my worst nightmare is that howard becomes the next prime minister ...i realy would consider emigrating.
  • Options
    Interesting that you mention single mothers- reducing their benefit was New Labour's first parliamentary "achievement".

The Conservatives, like all parties, change to suit the electorate. Like it or not, the government that is in power is the one that most people want to see in power. Thatcher got in on an anti-trade unionist card; Heath lost power because his anti-trade unionist agenda wasn't successful. Labour had their worst moment in 1983 because the electorate didn't want what Labour was offering; it was the same in 1987, when Thatcher should have been rocking but wasn't. It's the same with the Conservatives now.

Yopu can't say that the Tories never change because it isn't true- go back to 1950 and read Butler's works; the Tories accepted Keynesian economics right through the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s- they only changed when it stopped working, and that change was ratified by what the electorate wanted.