Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it fresh ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now thats the question !!!!!!

Chickens, now I like fresh chicken but how can I be sure how fresh it is ?

hmmmmm i think I might have now gone off chicken :(

Take a look Here .

Comments

• Options
    That made me so glad I don't eat meat! Considering the risks of salmonella from chicken are high to begin with... Scary.
  • Options
    Re: Is it fresh ?
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    Now thats the question !!!!!!

Chickens, now I like fresh chicken but how can I be sure how fresh it is ?

hmmmmm i think I might have now gone off chicken :(

Take a look Here .
    for the last couple of years ...only buy from local butchers who have farm connections ...and even then ...
  • Options
    Well it's nice isn't it?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Same as morrocan, I only eat meat from the butcher we've known for years (except if I'm in a restaurnant, in which case I rarely eat meat).
    Imagine people who work at those places (and know the truth) telling their children "Donnie, don't let your mom buy you any chickens from where I work, they're not good. The rest of the bleeping world can harm themselver all they like so that I can get paid."
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Same as morrocan, I only eat meat from the butcher we've known for years (except if I'm in a restaurnant, in which case I rarely eat meat).
    Imagine people who work at those places (and know the truth) telling their children "Donnie, don't let your mom buy you any chickens from where I work, they're not good. The rest of the bleeping world can harm themselver all they like so that I can get paid."

Thats put me right off going to greece. Cheers mate.
  • Options
    Glad I don't eat chicken or much meat at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    That made me so glad I don't eat meat! Considering the risks of salmonella from chicken are high to begin with... Scary.

I think salmonella only occurs if you leave food out for more than four hours without it being covered. Chicken packaging is air tight and this is less likely to occur I'd imagine.

Secondly, meat is often left for a few days before you eat it, it's been done since Roman times. Even today, people will hang a pheasent outside for a few weeks to make the meat better.

I don't believe the practice should be made illegal, it's not like people are dying is it. Besides, it would lead to more chickens being killed off then wasted because people won't eat them.
  • Options
    Also don't buy chicken or any other meat from places like South America. Eat British.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Also don't buy chicken or any other meat from places like South America. Eat British.

It can be just as likely that British meat has been sitting around for a long time. Yes, you are possibly better off with British, but not always.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Thats put me right off going to greece. Cheers mate.

Sorry? I don't understand what you mean. I was referring to what happens anywhere it does. If that's the case here too, I have no idea.
  • Options
    when i buy chicken i never buy it from a supermarket and never buy fillets ...to many scandals of condemed poultry being washed and bleached and even the big stores fall for it from dodgy suppliers. a whole fresh local chicken costs a bit more but it tastes better and is a safer bet.
    i'm fortunate ...i often kill my own. even then i sometimes let it hang for three or four days.
  • Options
    Oh god, I really have gone off chicken now :lol:

so from the chinese instead of sweet and sour chicken its gonna have to be curry and chips :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    Oh god, I really have gone off chicken now :lol:

so from the chinese instead of sweet and sour chicken its gonna have to be curry and chips :lol:
    whenever i'm in manchester i go into china town to buy supplies ...what an eye opener! they waste nothing. nothing at all.
    today might be boxes of chicken feet on special offer. jars with chickens eyes in. pigs eyes ...things that look very slimy and rotten and i haven't a clue what they are as it's all in chineese and the staff don't speak english.
    ...and still i love chinky food.
  • Options
    i feel faintly ill
  • Options
    It's a common practice, and that is all because of factory farming.

Though, as always, it's only a real problem if people do not cook their food properly. Which, unfortunately, a lot of people don't have the ability to anymore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

i'm fortunate ...i often kill my own.

That is quite fortunate. Nothing better than free-range produce...t'missus quite often gets fresh lamb from the farm next-door to her house, illegal as that no doubt is. Apparently it's delish.