Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone seen this film before? i got it off gameplay for £5.99 on DVD, it has to be one of the most brutal films i have ever seen!

for anyone not having a clue what im on about its a film set in a borstal as it says on the back of the box.

Raw, violent and shocking, scum is a compelling story set in a contemporary Borstal. It tells of life in a institution run by violence and brutality rather then reason, where the boy who can fight his way to the top will reign as the "daddy" will gain the respect of the inmates and the sadistic "screws" alike. Starring Ray Winstone as Carlin the one man prepared to struggle against all odds to be top dog in a system that is intent on breaking him.

It is a really violent and shocking film not forgetting has lots of racist comments in it but i highly recommend seeing it. Think its quite old as well was made in the early 80s.

It was made for the BBC originally but they refused to screen it, plus Mary Whitehouse tried to ban it completely.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats where the line "whos the daddy" came from I think. I really wanna see this new film about footbal hooligans in the late 80s. It's gonna be put out just before Euro 2004.

You seen ID? That's quite good.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    You seen ID? That's quite good.

whats it about? just as controversial as scum? who knows i may pick myself up a copy...
    The original version of Scum was made for the BBC but thats not the version you saw. It was remade for a UK cinema release - pretty certain that Ray Winston is in both versions but they changed the actor playing his mate - and the original really isn't anywhere near as good.

There's a number of versions available of the film, the different versions remove a scene where Carlin takes a boyfriend to live with him when he becomes the daddy and edit down the greenhouse scene. The cut on the cheap dvd is one of the most watered down if I remember rightly.

Alan Clark, the director of Scum, made three movies that he is especially remembered for. The other two were Made in Britain (with Tim Roth as a nazi in a young offenders residential home) and the Firm (with Gary Oldman running a hooligan 'firm'). You can get the Firm on the cheap as well, and it is easily as good.

Personally I think the scene that makes Scum great is the one where Carling's mate is chatting to the old guard about the length of his key chain.
    You might be interested in watching Chopper. If you liked Scum then you will prberly like this. check it out here.

There is also another film called Romper Stomper & American History X which both well worth a watch. You can find out about the films in the link above. Just to a search and they will come up.

ID is about a bunch on cops who go under cover in East London to infiltrate some hooligans part off Shadwell Town FC (which are not real) One bloke Jon get's quite involved and ends up as kind of a Comabt 18 Nazi hooligan. Quite good.

Thats released in 1995 - directed by Philip Davis. Not sure if you can get it on DVD though. Maybe worth an ask in Blockbusters.

American History X Plot Outline: A former neo-nazi skinhead (Norton) tries to prevent his younger brother (Furlong) from going down the same wrong path that he did.

Romper Stomper Plot Outline: A group of skinheads become alarmed at the way their neighbourhood is changing so they take it out on the immigrants who live there.
    Originally posted by Jim V
    There's a number of versions available of the film, the different versions remove a scene where Carlin takes a boyfriend to live with him when he becomes the daddy and edit down the greenhouse scene.

Yeah my version had the greenhouse scene where that guy got gangraped... was the most horrible part of the film i think.

Felix i`ve decided to give that ID a go first so i ordered it. I`ll let you know what i think of it.