Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

earache

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK... I've finally given in, after about a month of having a blocked ear I'm going to the doctors ASAP because the pain is killing me. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to take the pain away until I can get there? :( I took about 8 paracetamol yesterday and now I feel really ill and don't want to take any more, I'm going down the town today for some ear drops though they never work, my usual trick of lying on that ear to keep it warm isn't working because it just keeps hurting. It's not just my ear either; it's making my jaw stiff and my cheek and neck is slightly swollen I think. Help :(

Comments

• Options
    Re: earache
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    OK... I've finally given in, after about a month of having a blocked ear I'm going to the doctors ASAP because the pain is killing me. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to take the pain away until I can get there? :( I took about 8 paracetamol yesterday and now I feel really ill and don't want to take any more, I'm going down the town today for some ear drops though they never work, my usual trick of lying on that ear to keep it warm isn't working because it just keeps hurting. It's not just my ear either; it's making my jaw stiff and my cheek and neck is slightly swollen I think. Help :(
    I get that, too and I find that ibuprofen (esp neurofen plus) is better than paracetamol but it doesn't make things totally better.

Huge hugs, it's nasty.
  • Options
    Cheers; as it happens I actually bought some Ibuprofen today! (Not the ones that look like pink Smarties though :( ) Also got some Ear drops and I don't know if it's one or the other or both but the pain has gone. I'll put the drops in again before I go to bed. I'm still deaf, like, but at least I'm not in agony :)
  • Options
    Take some co-codamol and put some olive oil in your ear. You probably have wax. If you dont fancy putting olive oil in there get some Otex ear drops. :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Cheers; as it happens I actually bought some Ibuprofen today! (Not the ones that look like pink Smarties though :( ) Also got some Ear drops and I don't know if it's one or the other or both but the pain has gone. I'll put the drops in again before I go to bed. I'm still deaf, like, but at least I'm not in agony :)
    If you're getting them syringed you must use olive oil for 5(?) days beforehand. NOT ear drops (Otex, Earex, etc.) because I used them and the nurse wouldn't syringe my ears after.
  • Options
    Hmm, I got told almond oil off the doctor last time :confused: Anyhoo, the ones I got were Boots Dual-Purpose drops and they've cleared half the wax out already I think; they're cool, they make oxygen bubbles in your ear :D