Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Any Deaf people out there...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow. I never knew all this.
    Originally posted by Faith
    Everything must go really loud all of a sudden!

:yes: its scary! :( lol
    Originally posted by Faith
    Wow I never knew that. I'm totally deaf in my right ear

No wonder you didn't respond when I was wispering sweet nothings in your ear :D

I don't know if you've seen this show on Hallmark (Sky TV)

http://www.pax.tv/shows/suethoma/

"Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye," a groundbreaking, original drama was inspired by the true story of Sue Thomas, who although profoundly deaf from the age of 18 months, overcame significant obstacles to work surveillance for the F.B.I. This series is a coming-of-age, suspenseful drama starring Deanne Bray, a severely deaf actress who like Sue Thomas, was strongly encouraged by her parents to speak and read lips. "Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye" is entertainment aimed not just at hearing audiences but at the more than 28 million deaf and hard of hearing individuals in the United States (10% of the population).
    My left ear blocks frequently due to wax. At the minute it's been blocked for about a month. I don't go totally deaf but I can't hear very well at all. As a result I can't generally hear what people are saying if we're outside unless I stare at them. I've only ever met 2 deaf people, and I have to say I was a bit freaked out by one - she was a customer in my shop, and she told me she had to lip read and I got self-conscious because I didn't know how to make myself clearer. My aunty is pretty much deaf too as she's had tinnitus for years and years.
    Re: problem.....
    Originally posted by made in england
    No matter how much I try, they just don't bother. Perhaps they are scared. Maybe they find my Lip-Reading off-putting - I HAVE to stare at peoples mouth to follow the speech.

Snap. I'm moderately-to-severaly deaf too and have got nowhere in meeting people. If often go out by myself as a result. This made worse by the fact that my visual impairment made it no-go to learn lip reading. I don't have a cochlea implant though.

We can discuss it here if you like, or PM me.