Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Part Time Working - advice needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm starting Uni in September and was wondering if part time working is a good idea or not. At the moment I'm at college and working 20 hours a week in a call centre. When I start Uni I don't want this to affect my study time but I do need cash to live on besides my loans.

I'm going to be completely self-financed so parental subs is not an option.

How have people found it? I know I'm lucky in a way as I'm staying in my home town and as a mature student won't feel it necessary to be going out and spending loads clubbing and boozing (been there, done that) but I still need to live and want to come out with a good degree.

Any suggestions based on past experience welcome.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Work over the breaks, a months work can easily pay of your debt and wont mess up your uni studies as much......

Bopz
    Cheers Bopz

Yes, thinking of doing that. I should be able to go full-time in my current job over the summer and the Uni have said they may have some pt work going during term-time if necessary.
    it depends on the workload of your course.

if you're only doing a few hours a week and not getting stupid amounts of essays, 20 hours a week will be no problem at all.

if you're doing long days and lots of essays then it's probably best left to the holidays....

if you do decide to work during term time, you will have to be very disciplined about when you study, otherwise you might fall behind. but i know a lot of people who do it, and who did it all through their degree and came out with a good grade.
    Liverpool suggests no more than 15 hours, but as Kaffrin says, it all depends on your course and work load.

Last term i was in 9-5 daily and wouldnt have fitted 15 hours in anywhere, where as now I'm in 2 afternoons and so could do so easily.
    Another question which has popped up. Whats the score on tax?
    Income tax

Susie :)
    i work saturdays and sundays (10 and a half hours in total) and when i go to uni in september, i'm travelling home every weekend to work sundays. my friend does it and it just about pays for her rent.
    Im knakkered constantly plus im te only person who isnt given £250 a month to live on!