Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Viewing a flat.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok tommorow I'm going to view a flat with 3 other folk basically because I'm looking for somewhere to live when I leave halls at the end of 1st year. So i'm looking for advice on what to ask and look for while i'm being shown round etc etc. Any advice?

Cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Make sure you check all the usuals for a house, the walls and floors are in a good condition, no damp, or bits falling out of walls.

Then check there is enough room, and if its being used as a student accom., you'll probably want to be checking stuff like number of phone lines and electrical sockets.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ignore everything the letting agent says to you, and ask if you can chat to the current occupants on their own. ask them why they are leaving. ask them what the letting agents are like at dealing with problems.

check out everything for yourself, don't take anyone's word for anything. check the locks on the doors, and see if they have locks on each bedroom door - these can be very handy for insurance purposes.

i say this because in my second year i moved into a house which we had been told was problem-free, and which appeared fine when we viewed it. after moving in we found out the house had serious issues, including mouse and flea infestations, mineral deposits seeping through the walls in the kitchen, a shower that leaked down into the kitchen, causing lovely mouldy bits, locks on the doors that sometimes refused to open.... environmental health actually declared our house unfit to be occupied. which was nice. and did the letting agents do anything about this? did they hell. we actually heard them saying to people looking that there were no problems with damp!
    Just stroll round, see what you think of the place. The house will probably look the same when you move in, like if there is mud in the hallway, you will prob end up walking mud in the hallway during the winter months etc. Sorry if this dosent sound very clear......

Bopz
    yep u need to speak to the current residents if poss only they know what its like to live in.
    Your Accomodation office at uni should have student advisors who can talk you through what to look for, what to sign etc. They should have handouts even, and a list of places to rent where the landlords have registered with them. This should mean they will have given proof of up-to-date fire and gas safety certificates which is at least a start.

nusonline have a heap of good advice too: housing advice

Remember where ever you move in, go through the inventory with the landlord or agent at the start, make any nec. amendments and get both parties to sign and date the amended list, and keep a copy for yourself. Also take photos of damp, stains, broken things etc at the beginning, so they can't try and blame you for them when you move out.

Susie :)
    Re: Viewing a flat.

We went round 11 before we chose. umm look for damp, even sized rooms if the rent is even etc... water rates included?

Its usually the students in there who show you round so ask them. Ask them what bills are like? bus routes? you'll be an expert in no time. we got a great place!!!!
    Don't forget to check for a current gas safety certificate, and look on any gas appliances to see if there could be problems with carbon monoxide.

Check electrical wiring, check for mould and damp and, as a general rule, check the roofline of the house as you leave- is it horizontal, is it new? Check the windows against the roof- if they're lopsided it's not a house worth renting.