Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clothes at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right I tried a search, nowt came up so I'm asking it :p

Wear do you guys shop for clothes? reason I'm asking is coz i'm low on cash and need some clothes cheap. I went down Manchester Uni a few days ago and every1 was wearing plain, cheap clothes but fashionable if u get me. So where do you guys shop?

Sounds like a stupid thread but I'm curious, and soon to be naked unless I buy some new clothes :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    for cheap clothes i go to H&M. topshop or miss selfridge aint too bad because they do student discount.

i spose you could try primark.
    Shouldn't this be in the fashion section?

I don't know how cheap you're wanting but in the cities you can usually find some decent shit in the charity shops. Although topman isn't too expensive - just don't make the mistake of buying the same stuff that everybody else seems to. I don't know how many guys I saw wearing that t-shirt with the weird rips in it that seemed to be in topman for about a year, too many anyhow.
    best thing to do is get a few good quality things - a pair of jeans, some sturdy shoes/trainers, and a jacket, and then buy things like t-shirts and accessories from cheap shops. primark is really good for plain t-shirts that you can alter yourself if you're crafty, and be all individual and stuff for £2 a time. it also is great for underwear and socks. also try supermarkets with a clothing range. they're not going to be catwalk style, but they're well made, cheap, and can look pretty good on.

other than that, charity shops and sales.

or you can become teetotal. the amount i save by not drinking means i can spend all my money on clothes. yay, and stuff.

don't worry too much though, most people at uni can't afford to buy many clothes. and it's not a fashion show, you're there to learn, and most people just like to be comfy.
    Tee total? Not going that far :D

Na i'm not worried about clothes and shit, I'm just wondering wear u's shop so I can save myself a bit of money
    Get your arse into town, buy some stuff walk out again it's not difficult! Look around for a bit, try a few differant random shops.

Bopz
    additionsdirect have some nice mens clothes and its cheap

primark are good for jeans

h&m have some good stuff but you have to have a good look

theres isnt one cheap place to buy clothes-you have to shop around
    Ta for ure help guys

I went into town before, not much in Wigan which isnt scallyish lol

But i went to the tesco near us and was suprised, spent around £30 n got some gr8 stuff lol. I'm scared people will start singing to me now

"Lets all go to tesco where solid buys his best clothes":rolleyes:

(I dunno if other people used to sing that at primary but we did lol)

Ne way thanx again I shall not be naked now:D
    Tesco do indeed do some nice stuff. :D

*works there*
    u work there? wanna get me some discounts? :D
    It's not so much getting clothes that I'm worried about, more how to use a washing machine and iron them. I have only ever used an iron once, and burnt a hole in my favourite shirt. I'm the most undomesticated man in the UK (probably).
    Originally posted by Museman
    It's not so much getting clothes that I'm worried about, more how to use a washing machine and iron them. I have only ever used an iron once, and burnt a hole in my favourite shirt. I'm the most undomesticated man in the UK (probably).

ah if u buy a clothes airer (like from argos-cheap) then your clothes wont need ironing :cool:
    and the washing machines we have are simple you just select which wash you want (ie delicates/whites/colours) and sprinkle your powder inside, put the lid down and put your money in and voila easy peasy
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    ah if u buy a clothes airer (like from argos-cheap) then your clothes wont need ironing :cool:

Hang on a minute, are you serious? This is wonderful news!! How does the airer make all the difference then?
    Hang on a minute, are you serious? This is wonderful news!! How does the airer make all the difference then?

well your clothes will be drying hung up so the creases just fall out. I havent had to do any ironing since ive been at uni and ive washed shirts and stuff

good old argos :D
    oh another tip, also in argos they sell little fan heaters for about a tenner. I bought one cos my radiator dont work but i have discovered that if i put it next to the airer while im drying stuff it dries them really quickly
    Brilliant, I'll be getting one of those! The other option is getting those shirts that are meant to look crinkled, but the downside is you end up looking like that Laurance Llewelyn-Bowen-McTosser or whatever his name is.
    Brilliant, I'll be getting one of those! The other option is getting those shirts that are meant to look crinkled, but the downside is you end up looking like that Laurance Llewelyn-Bowen-McTosser or whatever his name is.

:lol: yeh
    Originally posted by solid_L
    But i went to the tesco near us and was suprised, spent around £30 n got some gr8 stuff lol. I'm scared people will start singing to me now

Tesco are good, I buy a lot of stuff from there and it lasts. And I don't look like a Frenchman either:D

Museman: most stuff doesn't need ironing, and most washing machiens, especially in halls, are fool-proof. It's not hard, and an airer is good because it saves a FORTUNE in tumble drying.
    It's not so much getting clothes that I'm worried about, more how to use a washing machine and iron them.

Basic washing factsheet

:)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Washing factsheet?

You guys think of everything! :)

All we need now is a 'how to make pie' factsheet :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    mmmm....pie.

Can we have a pie factsheet please? :(
    Originally posted by Susie
    Basic washing factsheet

:)

You are wonderful, cheers :-)
    Originally posted by JsT
    mmmm....pie.

Can we have a pie factsheet please? :(

mmmm pie factsheet.

and my contribution to this thread, surely you can wear some clothes you already own;)
    Originally posted by solid_L
    u work there? wanna get me some discounts? :D

it's 10% discount, and afraid i can't. :)
    :( no discount, i thought i'd have got £3 off then :p