Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

too much gum?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so in an attempt to cut down a little bit on smoking i've taken up chewing gum. The only gum I chew is Extra, which is sugar-free. But I've been doing this for a couple days now, and every day so far I've gone thru at least a pack of gum. Is this going to ruin my teeth? I take great care and pride of my teeth, no cavities, no nothing. I do not want anything to happen to my lovely teeth, so is this much gum going to do anything? is there a more teeth friendly thing i could try?

Comments

• Options
    Chewing gum, from what I have read, is actually good for your teeth. I get through one pack per day also, every day - without fail.
  • Options
    if it's sugar free, it won't hurt your teeth.

but it will do horrible things to your insides. i'm a total gum addict - i get through at least a pack a day, usually two. and it can mess up your digestion good and proper.

but if it's stopping you smoking, i suppose it's the lesser of two evils.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if it's sugar free, it won't hurt your teeth.

but it will do horrible things to your insides. i'm a total gum addict - i get through at least a pack a day, usually two. and it can mess up your digestion good and proper.

but if it's stopping you smoking, i suppose it's the lesser of two evils.

how can it mess up your digestion? i dont swallow it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    how can it mess up your digestion? i dont swallow it.

you swallow the.... how can i put it.... juice?

sugar-free things usually contain aspartame, sorbitol, and other dodgy sweetners, and they play havoc with your bowels.

if you look on the packet, it'll say something like : excessive consumption may produce laxative effects. that's because of all the dodge chemicals they put in them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you swallow the.... how can i put it.... juice?

sugar-free things usually contain aspartame, sorbitol, and other dodgy sweetners, and they play havoc with your bowels.

if you look on the packet, it'll say something like : excessive consumption may produce laxative effects. that's because of all the dodge chemicals they put in them.

:eek2: ohhhh, I don't want that. Is it common? For other gum chewers, does it happen to you? Any other suggestions for stuff besides gum?

oh yea, and also, i chew anywhere from 3-5 pieces at a time...
  • Options
    I eat Gum all the time, It does say it may cause laxative effects but you should be ok as long as you take a break from gum every few days :D.
  • Options
    It fucks up your insides too coz it gets your stomach ready to digest food and you arent giving it any. Or something.
  • Options
    I used to chew gum frequently but stopped for two reasons, the aspartame/asesulfam-k/etc and the fact that it made my jaws more stiff and increased a problem I have with them "cracking".

I however do not really know anything about the long term effects chewing gum might have. :)
  • Options
    a teacher told me it can give you stomach ulcers. :confused:

i'm always chewing chewing gum. well, not always...'cause i'm not now.

but yeh, like kaffrin said. it's gotta be better than smoking.
  • Options
    One pack a day for the last 5 years, and I've never had the shits.
  • Options
    I always chew it, and it doestn affect me, i go through a packet a day, i think im addicted to chewie lol.