Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Oh oh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
So basically as I've mentioned before the Danish high-school is divided into two; Linguists and maths/science.
I need to pick subjects for next year and the system of which subjects you're allowed to choose is complicated and takes too long to explain.
But being that I want to study International Relations and Politics at university (hopefully in the States or the UK) I was wondering which combination would be best?

English and geography?
Or maths and philosophy?

Could people please answer me tonight as I need to hand in the note tomorrow and I am on bare bottom.

Danke :)

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    English and geography.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Turtle
    English and geography.
    Yes, I'd agree. Can't see how maths and philosophy would have any bearing on it. Check the requirements of the uni though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the replies guys :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    English and Geography. Faily obviously so I would have imagined.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    English and Geography. Faily obviously so I would have imagined.
    I was told that at Oxford they had a Economics/politics/philosophy course. There they expect a strong background in maths and philosophy, which was what made me wonder.
    I am far off having the grades for Oxford, but it did make me confused.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I was told that at Oxford they had a Economics/politics/philosophy course. There they expect a strong background in maths and philosophy, which was what made me wonder.
    I am far off having the grades for Oxford, but it did make me confused.

    Thats because you'd need the maths for the economics and the philosophy for the philosophy, not the politics.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yet, if I found the same course at another university, I'd probably take it :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, i'd do english and geography.

    most philosophy courses in the UK don't expect you to have previously studied it, and some even prefer that you haven't.

    maths would be useful to have, but if a degree course requires knowledge of maths they'll often have maths booster style courses running alongside the main modules.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Form my expperience I would say that philosophy woukld have more relevance to politics than either English or geography...........
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Form my expperience I would say that philosophy woukld have more relevance to politics than either English or geography...........

    Well too bad :p

    I've already handed in the paper with my choice.

    I'd love to do philosophy. I really really would. But rather pull high grades at subjects I can do easily and higher my average. Than getting passing grades at math which doesn't interest me and therefore pushing my average down.

    Kermit said I could most probably do it as a smaller course for extra credits or something to that extent. He can explain it better than I.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im going to study politics/international relations, and there are absolutely no subject requirements for most universities, for international relations at some unis though a Maths pass at a B or C for our GCSE is needed.

    Apparantly philosophy as a subject impresses universities. Dont know how true that is.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Philosophy and Politics are actually tied, to some degree.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Well too bad :p

    I've already handed in the paper with my choice.

    I'd love to do philosophy. I really really would. But rather pull high grades at subjects I can do easily and higher my average. Than getting passing grades at math which doesn't interest me and therefore pushing my average down.

    Kermit said I could most probably do it as a smaller course for extra credits or something to that extent. He can explain it better than I.

    Fair enough, Geography is good at least........:)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As long as it's not about earthquakes and climate...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    As long as it's not about earthquakes and climate...

    Unless your syllabus is different, you're probably out of luck there. Course, it's also about really interesting things, like population density, and lots of statistics and whatnot.

    Philosophy and English would've been your ideal choice, of course. But I doubt you're going to get excluded from Unis for not having done Philosophy. Geography's a pretty real subject too - look at DJP.
Sign In or Register to comment.