Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Florida and New York information

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well just got back from the travel agents and have now paid for my trip to America :)

Absolutely dead excited, i havent been for 11 years and dont remember very much, we only went to Orlando and this time im going to new york too so i really cant wait.

so we fly from heathrow to boston, then boston to orlando. 10 nights staying at the movies hotel actually in disney world florida, 7 days at all the theme parks. we've also got tickets for universal studios and islands of adventure for whilst we're in orlando.

then we fly to miami and then on to new york. (this is where your help comes in! ;)) we're only there for 4 days before flying back to london, so we wont to make the most of it.

having never been before, we'd like to know some of the best places to visit. i dont need information on things like the museums or anything like that, as i can get that off the net, but more about the best places to eat, the best shows to see, the coolest little boutiques down the side streets - stuff like that :) and of course anything to avoid because its totally overrated. and any local knowledge on general do's and donts would be great :)

thanks, i really appreciate it x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    another quick question :D that film with jennifer lopez, the wedding planner i think its called, where she sits outside and watches that old b&w movie on the big screen in a park somewhere, is there anywhere in manhatten that shows the old movies outside? id love to do that...
  • Options
    Good for you! I loved Florida when I went, but I only remember the little bits because I was only 9! We went for 2 weeks and only got like a quarter way through most of the parks, it would take another few to get round it all.

I used to love all the buffet restaurants, they were great! They had big fuck-off Ice Cream Factory machines :yum:
  • Options
    Go to the Sony Science Centre :yes:

If you're wanting to go up the Statue of Liberty, get there very, very early, becuse it's sooo busy.

I can't remember what else i done! :eek2:
  • Options
    The statue of liberty is seriously over-rated, the space in the head for you to look out is tiny and it can take ages in the queue going up.

Haven't been for years but a couple of hints:

1. Do tell people you are British, they are the only people in the world who like us and will treat you like a celeb. I went into a museum that was just about to close and when they realized I was English, they let me in and I got a private tour.

2. To avoid paying tax, on your way back wear the new stuff you've bought when your out there and bring it back mixed in with the rest of your dirty washing and wear what you can back.

3. Do go to Greenwich Village, one of the nicest places to hang out but people may misunderstand if you say your nipping out for a fag.

4. I don't know how old you are but its easier to get drugs and weapons,than get served in a bar without a passport that says your over 21. Funny enough I never had a problem but I know from talking to people this was pretty rare.

5. The Empire State Building is worth a visit, plus Central Park, Harlem plus if you can try and get out of Manhattan to Queens or Brooklyn to see the real New York. Manhattan is like the West End of London.

6. I hear Niketown is the place for trainers.

I do believe Time Out magazine do an online guide, Rough Guide is good and grab a copy of the Village Voice when your there for a guide to whats on.

Enjoy.

ps don't eat too much greasy pizza slices and find yourself being violently sick in the street during rush hour, people will think your a crackhead and will cross the road to avoid you while you slowly die in your own shame.

:yuck: :no: :blush:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    3. Do go to Greenwich Village, one of the nicest places to hang out but people may misunderstand if you say your nipping out for a fag.

:lol::lol::lol:

*puts on Yankee accent*

People like you make me sick!

:p
  • Options
    Brooklyn Diner. Huuuge portions of gorgeous food! Not too expensive either. Can't remember the address, but look it up!

That's the only significant thing (apart from the obvious sights, and shopping in Macy's, Bloomingdale's etc) that I can remember actually... except if it's cold when you go, skate in Central Park.. it's gorgeous!

:)
  • Options
    New York...

Visit The Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgendered Community Center off Seventh Ave on West 13th Street. Even if you aren't GLBT folks, you may see some interesting art exhibits or find out about the hottest dance clubs. GLBT people do disco like nobody else does disco. Ask if Paddles is still open, and what nights are for non-members, and aboutdungeon demo nights. (Yes it's a very kinky place where you can watch or have "hands on".)

Catch some off - off - off Broadway theater in SoHo or the West Village.Go for a ride and back on the Statin Island Ferry. I think it's still free or very inexpensive for pedestrians. You get a great view of Manhattan from the water.

Stand on line and see if you can get in the audience for Late Night With David Letterman, or Conan O'Brian. It's free and you get to see what happens during the commercial breaks.

Sit at Cafe Danté on MacDougal St in the Village and sip an authentic (non-Starbucks) espresso watching people and noshing on Italian Wedding Rum Cake that's to die for.

See an exhibit at the International Center of Photography. There are some excellent permanant and temporary photography exhibits well worth the price of admission.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. There are some great views of the East River from the pedestrian walkway.

Visit the Metropolitan Museum of art on the east side of the park. 5th ave and 82nd street. follow the path behind the museum west to Central Park west and 80th street to the Museum of Natural History. after the museum, walk back into the park, walk south around the lake, usually somebody playing a guitar or something over here, keep walking south. at the statue of Daniel Webster head east to Bethesda Terrace, the prettiest place in the park. After this follow the mall area south through row upon row of beautiful trees putting on the greatest show on earth for free. bear to the left and follow the path to the pond. sit for a while on a bench. then exit the park onto 59th street. right by the elegant Plaza hotel. This a perfect way to enjoy New York city. and very cheap too. with the two museums included, may run you 20 dollars if that much , depending on the day of the week.

China town is really great for cheap shopping and cheap delicious food..Try the Singaporean or Malaysian restaurants there.

Try the "Circle Line" located at the end of 40th street. It is a 3 hour boat tour around Manhattan Island. I think its only 25$ per person.

You'll love it in New York!! Its sooo much fun!
  • Options
    I dont know alot about Florida because Ive only been 5 or 6 times..

Of course the whole Disney World thing..

You have to go to South Beach. At night, its such a party and thats the total opposite in the daytime. In the daytime, people are running or biking.

Go look at the Rennigers Flea Market. I think its open on the weekend from 8am to 3 or 4pm. Its a bit north of route 46 in Mount Dora.

My favorite was the Big Tree Park. they had one of the largest and oldest trees in America. They are open till sunset, I think.

The Weeki Wachee Spring Resort was pretty fun. I went Scuba Diving there for the first time and it was a blast.

You have to go to Water Mania. I havent been but my cousins who live in florida love it. Its south of Orlando.
  • Options

1. Do tell people you are British, they are the only people in the world who like us and will treat you like a celeb. I went into a museum that was just about to close and when they realized I was English, they let me in and I got a private tour.

2. To avoid paying tax, on your way back wear the new stuff you've bought when your out there and bring it back mixed in with the rest of your dirty washing and wear what you can back.

Yes, and when I spoke in London some people treated me as if I was an idiot due to my American sounding accent and the fact that I was polite and smiley. Quite rude actually.
    Definitely a side I didn't like (one of the few).

Care to explain the whole tax thing again?
  • Options
    oh thank you loads, thats all really useful stuff, really helped me out :) thanks guys x

ps. feel free to keep adding if anyone thinks of anything, im not off until june :)
  • Options
    I am off to New York on saturday, so I could come with usefull stuff when I get back :)
  • Options
    Jacqs, the import tax/duty
  • Options
    Jacqs, the import tax/duty
    So you pay tax on the new stuff you've bought?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    So you pay tax on the new stuff you've bought?

I'm assuming its the same in Denmark but yes as you are importing it, goods are treated the same way as cigs, alcohol, you have a duty-free allowance but anything over that you can be liable for the tax.

Best check up before you go with your travel agent. This may help but its not comprehensive.

http://www.heathrow-parking-uk.co.uk/duty-free.html
  • Options
    A bit funny as two of the guys were discussing this today. Never knew there existed such a thing on regular goods as clothes.

Though my mom said that as long as it's not overdone - as in 500 pairs of Levi's and 35 pairs of converse shoes etc. there should be no problem.
  • Options
    The male idea of 'reasonable amount' of shopping is vastly different from the female ;)

Do check the amounts though to avoid any tears.

Enjoy yourself, its hard not too in Nu Yorica
  • Options
    The amount allowed to bring into the UK from countries outside of the EU is ridiculous(sp)
    £145 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs
    :eek:

I was keeping myself in a short leash in London and almost positive that I brought home for more than that amount. I fucking hope the limit isn't as strict in Denmark, though it's most probably worse than that.
    Urgh.
  • Options
    Exactly and they can be strict, I know someone who stayed with family over Christmas and got taxed on presents he was given as he couldn't prove they weren't bought and they were in the original packaging.

They have been known to keep catalogues with the prices of goods to work out the total value.
  • Options
    Just returned and I have to tell you that four days in New York just doesn't seem as enough.
    Try if you can lengthen your stay there. It's an amazing city, and preferably you want to experience as much as possible.

I'd say that you should definitely reserve 3-4 hours (if not more) to just walking around Central Park and 5th avenue.
    Go into the shops there, just to see the greatness. They are really helpful and nice, and even though me and my friends entered the 5 floors high Louis Vuitton store in jeans and some of the others in backpacks, and the store was closing in 10 minutes, the people there were all nice, smiley and asking if help was needed. You'll find that kind of attitude almost everywhere, which makes it really refreshing.

If you want cheap designer wear go into a store called Armani Exchange, it's a cheap Armani collection, like Versace Sport, just that they have a lot of items contrary to Versace Sport.
    The rest of the designer wear is about the same price as here. Hugo Boss is a bit cheaper, but not bu much.

My favourite place in New York was the Greenwhich Village, SoHo and TriBeCa area. It's amazing. Unlike the rest of NY you don't see skyscrapers everywhere and it has this chilled atmosphere there.
    The best shopping area you'll find, is in SoHo and Broadway. They have everything there. A whole day there wasn't enough for me.
    SoHo has a lot of galleries and I can really recommend going there. The area is very culturally aware, and you'll find a lot of different styles and people there. The only common factor is that they're very fashion oriented, in their respective styles.

For really cheap genuine Levi's and Calvin Kleins go into a shop called O.M.G.
    They have it all over Broadway in the NoHo/SoHo area. In one go I managed to buy three pairs of jeans, a cardigan and a sweatshirt. Usually I have a problem finding jeans I like! + They were so very very cheap!

If you're in New York a sunday I recommend you go to Harlem. There's a church called the "Abyssinian Baptist Church" having a gospel service starting at 11 am. Come a bit before (around half an hour, I'd say) as there are queues to get in. They are so very welcoming there, and it's a goo experience to see the black community performing a service. Very very different from what you have experienced before.
    Go to Chinatown as well. They have a lot of junk stores, and I am sure your daughter would find lots of cute junk and toys there. The amazing thing there is that a lot of people don't know English. Even the ones in the shops.

I can only recommend New York at the highest. If you want to know more, just let me know. This was what was on top of my head.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you had a good time Jacqs, hope all the info on here helped. Did you get through customs ok? Four days is nowhere near enough, you've not even scratched the surface but I bet it whetted your appetite for more.

Sounds like the credit cards took a hammering though ;) So where's next on the Ripper World Tour, I'm guessing Paris or Milan, not that I've got you figured out or anything :p
  • Options
    I was there a week. Just that badabing said she was planning to stay only four days. But even a week wasn't enough. The only thing I am thinking and talking and dreaming about is New York. It's insane. I am so going back as soon as possible. Preferably this summer if anyone will join me.

Luckily customs were dealing with someone else when we passed, so no problems. Though I did cut off all the price tags and left a few, so it would seem authentic, just in case.

Cards? The debit card I brought with me is completely empty, couldn't even buy a Starbuck on it. And God knows how much I've used on the regular Visa. Though being a good girl I brought 100 dollars back in cash of the money my dad gave me before leaving. I should have shopped more. So many things I never got the chance to buy :p

Either way, next on the Ripper Tour is Jerusalem. Both Berlin and Barcelona fell apart. And with some luck I'll visit New York in the summer, Paris in fall and back to London next winter.

Well, I can dream...
  • Options
    Trouble is Jacqs, you'll never satisfy your shopping needs there as there is always one more thing you wish you could afford.

Being a big Hip-Hop fan that place is my Mecca, clothes, trainers, records even did a good trade in fake Rolexes at one point. You should have seen me walking through customs trying not to let my arms shake due to the massive weight in my suitcases.

:lol:

Try and spend the summer there if poss, thats when its at its best and you'll have loads to do.