Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oh oh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So basically as I've mentioned before the Danish high-school is divided into two; Linguists and maths/science.
I need to pick subjects for next year and the system of which subjects you're allowed to choose is complicated and takes too long to explain.
But being that I want to study International Relations and Politics at university (hopefully in the States or the UK) I was wondering which combination would be best?

English and geography?
Or maths and philosophy?

Could people please answer me tonight as I need to hand in the note tomorrow and I am on bare bottom.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    English and geography.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    English and geography.
    Yes, I'd agree. Can't see how maths and philosophy would have any bearing on it. Check the requirements of the uni though.
    Thanks for the replies guys :)
    English and Geography. Faily obviously so I would have imagined.
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    English and Geography. Faily obviously so I would have imagined.
    I was told that at Oxford they had a Economics/politics/philosophy course. There they expect a strong background in maths and philosophy, which was what made me wonder.
    I am far off having the grades for Oxford, but it did make me confused.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I was told that at Oxford they had a Economics/politics/philosophy course. There they expect a strong background in maths and philosophy, which was what made me wonder.
    I am far off having the grades for Oxford, but it did make me confused.

Thats because you'd need the maths for the economics and the philosophy for the philosophy, not the politics.
    Yet, if I found the same course at another university, I'd probably take it :)
    yeah, i'd do english and geography.

most philosophy courses in the UK don't expect you to have previously studied it, and some even prefer that you haven't.

maths would be useful to have, but if a degree course requires knowledge of maths they'll often have maths booster style courses running alongside the main modules.
    Form my expperience I would say that philosophy woukld have more relevance to politics than either English or geography...........
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Form my expperience I would say that philosophy woukld have more relevance to politics than either English or geography...........

Well too bad :p

I've already handed in the paper with my choice.

I'd love to do philosophy. I really really would. But rather pull high grades at subjects I can do easily and higher my average. Than getting passing grades at math which doesn't interest me and therefore pushing my average down.

Kermit said I could most probably do it as a smaller course for extra credits or something to that extent. He can explain it better than I.
    Im going to study politics/international relations, and there are absolutely no subject requirements for most universities, for international relations at some unis though a Maths pass at a B or C for our GCSE is needed.

Apparantly philosophy as a subject impresses universities. Dont know how true that is.
    Philosophy and Politics are actually tied, to some degree.
    Well too bad :p

I've already handed in the paper with my choice.

I'd love to do philosophy. I really really would. But rather pull high grades at subjects I can do easily and higher my average. Than getting passing grades at math which doesn't interest me and therefore pushing my average down.

Kermit said I could most probably do it as a smaller course for extra credits or something to that extent. He can explain it better than I.

Fair enough, Geography is good at least........:)
    As long as it's not about earthquakes and climate...
    As long as it's not about earthquakes and climate...

Unless your syllabus is different, you're probably out of luck there. Course, it's also about really interesting things, like population density, and lots of statistics and whatnot.

Philosophy and English would've been your ideal choice, of course. But I doubt you're going to get excluded from Unis for not having done Philosophy. Geography's a pretty real subject too - look at DJP.