Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni two years late

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm returning to uni in September but i'll be two years older then most people. I went to Aston for a year last year and really messed up. Have many others of you gone when your a lot older then everyone else? How do u find it? do u feel older?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i went two years after i could have, and you know two years is really nothing.

most of the people on my course took a year out anyway, so i was 20, they were 19.... no difference, really.

and i'm not the oldest on the course, by any means.
    "Hopefully" when the geog department sees how wounderfull I am and sees past my slightly below required grades they will let me in and I will be year older than usual, but it wont matter! Uni is full of people of all ages!

Bopz
    I'm going one year after most people; and I don't anticipate that there will be any problem. Only if I make it one.
    Ye I've applied to go Liverpool next year-
    And ill be 2 years older than everyone going- or what age do most of you start college at?
    Anyway im still a big kid either way so dont forsee a problem unless I make one!
    There's a woman in my Greek class who's in her sixties! I really don't think two years older is a problem - I've met plenty of people here who are 20/21 and no one bats an eyelid.
    Loads of people take a year out or go on placements etc.

I failed my first year of uni (consider that a year out) and if I do a placement which I'm hoping to, then I'll be 2 years older in my 3rd year than some people who didn't do those things.

It REALLY is nothing to worry about. Its not like you're a mature student. You can mingle with all the students and have a uni style social life no problem.
    You're still between 18-24 aren't you?

btw....... when are you considered a 'mature' student???
    Originally posted by crescendo

btw....... when are you considered a 'mature' student???

it's if you are 21 or older when you start your course, but it's really only for financial reasons, as mature students tend to be assessed on their own incomes, as often they are no longer living at home.

it used to be 25, i think, but they changed it a few years ago.
    Yere its 21 now, and also they require less educational stuff as you may have been working your arse off for the last 3 years!

I'm still strugling to understand why some people choose to live at home instead of in halls????? Lectures are boring, then you go home! Wheres the fun whilst in halls etc to fun begins!!!!!!!

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I'm still strugling to understand why some people choose to live at home instead of in halls?????

some people can't afford to live in halls.
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I'm still strugling to understand why some people choose to live at home instead of in halls????? Lectures are boring, then you go home! Wheres the fun whilst in halls etc to fun begins!!!!!!!

it depends on the individual; not all people are after living the student life.

also, some people might live near the uni so simply travel every day. i have a friend who does nursing. she's at hull uni but lives near me. she doesn't have to go in every day and does her placements at the hospital in our town.

some people might get homesick. i have a friend who's at derby uni but her mum's just given birth to a baby and she really misses her bf. so in her second year, she's going to commute every day which will take all of 4 hours. to me, that seems silly. but like i said, it's down to the individual. she likes the teaching there, but wants to live here.