Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being home sick.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Bout to go to university. Was wondering if anyone one got really badly home sick? And how they coped with the situation? And how long did it take u to over come this problem? And finally did you feel there were people who could help you?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I got a little homesick after Christmas, but not enough to make me want to move back home. I was fine after a couple of weeks being back. I enjoy uni much more than being at home.

I'm lucky in that there's 8 of us here from my school and I only live an hour away. That definitely helps. :yes:
    it is likely you will be living with plenty of others in the same boat as you, and also if i recall back you will probably be too busy making friends, going out, doing work to get too homesick, moving to uni is quite a culture shock to start with, having to fend for yourself and organise your own time, but its something you are going to have to do eventually, and i guess uni is one of the best places to do it
    I'm lucky in that there's 8 of us here from my school and I only live an hour away. That definitely helps. :yes: [/B][/QUOTE]

You only live an hour away from ure mates or your home? I mite be livin 2.30-3 hours away thought actually really scares me. Dunno if i have the guts to do it! : (
    I still get home sick sometimes, in fact I did this week. I've been here for one a half years now, and yeah, it's hard sometimes, but the good times way out the bad times by far, and there's always people to talk to if you do get homesick. I don't regret moving away at all, you become so much more independent and I don't feel you would take part in student life properly if you stayed at home.
    Originally posted by angel1886
    I'm lucky in that there's 8 of us here from my school and I only live an hour away. That definitely helps. :yes:

You only live an hour away from ure mates or your home? I mite be livin 2.30-3 hours away thought actually really scares me. Dunno if i have the guts to do it! : ( [/B][/QUOTE]

I live about 14 hours away from my folks. (Well, okay, it's closer to about 7 hours if I fly.)

Homesickness isn't something you can predict - some people get it very badly at Uni when you would've imagined they'd be fine, others don't feel it at all. Often, it's simply a case of finding mates at settling in, making your room feel like "your" room and making the mental adjustment to thinking of Uni as home.

In my opinion at least, you're better off making the move properly, throwing yourself in at the deep end and not going home too often. But maybe that's just cos what I have to do , and I'm secretly jealous of the likes of .NK who can go home when they feel sick or need some TLC. :p
    TheSite article on homesickness

Hope it helps a little

Susie :)
    I get ver homesick and i deal with it by keeping myself busy and concentrating on things that dont remind me of home
    Originally posted by angel1886

You only live an hour away from ure mates or your home? I mite be livin 2.30-3 hours away thought actually really scares me. Dunno if i have the guts to do it! : (

My home :) Some of my friends are here, at the same uni, but my best friend is all the way up in Newcastle.
    Originally posted by Turtle

I'm secretly jealous of the likes of .NK who can go home when they feel sick or need some TLC.

:p

At least your family don't get sick of you from seeing you too much. Now when I go home my sisters are just like 'Oh, it's you again'... whereas when I first came here they were a lot happier to see me! :lol:
    i can't wait to get out
    I was wondering today whether or not I'll get homesick but thought that people who say they are would probably get told to grow up (especially lads rightly or wrongly) and get on with it. Nice to see (in a perverse kind of way!) that people are not alone in this, I'm only going to be an hour from home so it's not too bad. I think partly the way we react might be to do with the way our families take it, by that I mean if your parents seem to take the fact you're moving out quite hard then it might make it harder in turn for the student to go as you don't like to leave them upset. However if the parents are really happy for them and do not seem to be upset, it will probably make it easier for the person to leave and to be happy. I'm more concerned about other people than myself- if my parents take it well, so will I.
    Dude an hour away is nothing! The G/f lives an hour away from me! I don't get home sick, but then I don't like being at home and I try not to tell me parents that i'm back then go stay with mates! Much easier that way! I feel sorry for people who do get homesick, but just talk to everyone you meet. Don't replace friends, make new additional ones then mash the groups together. Take a few mates home get a few mates to come visit, if your only an hour away people can easily visit just for the day.

Bopz
    I got really homesick for the first two terms, I was really panicky, like, what if something went wrong? What if I forgot something? What if I failed? What if I got ill? etc. I begged my parents to let me come home.

And then a few weeks before the end of the 2nd term, two things happened. First, I passed all my January exams so the failing worry was kinda reduced. Secondly, I got really really ill one night with some awful stomach bug (throwing up a LOT) and was ill in bed for 3 full days afterwards. One of my friends stayed with me ALL THREE DAYS including all night (and including clearing up after me when I was ill) and I finally realised I had someone I could rely on to always be there for me.

And when I LEFT Uni for Easter a few weeks ago I cried because I didn't wanna go home instead of crying because I didn't wanna go to Uni.