Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Arsenal-title winners already?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I think they definetly are if they stay unbeaten or lose when they are mathematicaly impossible to be caught up on. But if they do lose, I can see them going on a very bad run. Losing 3 or 4 games after and maybe scrapping a few draws against tema fighting against relegation. And united catching up.

As for Chelsea i think they will comfortable come 3rd as players are not used to the premiership.

But i think they will win the Champions league. By sneaking good results away from stamford bridge. What do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Arsenal will win it, I have little doubt about it.

Just happy the Premiership title won't be going to Old Trafford.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by JsT
    Just happy the Premiership title won't be going to Old Trafford.

*hmph*

In a fantasy land, Arsenal wouldn't learn from their mistakes last year and Man Utd would take it once again.

Whether or not that will happen is another matter. I think Man Utd should be able to stay in second though. Them catching up is not very likely due to a drop in performance over the past few weeks. The Fulham match confirms three matches without a win for the first time this season.
    They haven't won it yet, but they can only lose it from here. They will need to have a bad run of form and I can't see that happening at the moment. Sadly.

Still the trophy has only ever been away from Old Trafford for one season at a time, so it'll be ours again next year whatever... ;)
    Like MoK said, It is Arsenals to Lose. If they want it bad enough they will win it. If they get overly confident they could slip up again.

I'm will also be glad for it not to be at old trafford :p
    Chelsea are 2nd now on goal difference, Trouble in the scum camp?? ;)
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Trouble in the scum camp?? ;)

If "trouble" is being third in the Premier League [plus FA Cup QF and Champion League 2nd Round] then there are 89 English clubs in deep shite... :p
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    If "trouble" is being third in the Premier League [plus FA Cup QF and Champion League 2nd Round] then there are 89 English clubs in deep shite... :p

Spot on, some of our so called "fans" need to stop moaning and get beind the team. They don't know how lucky they are.
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I think Man Utd should be able to stay in second though.

Second?

http://stats.football365.com/tables.html
    Originally posted by godscop
    Spot on, some of our so called "fans" need to stop moaning and get beind the team. They don't know how lucky they are.
    Well Godscop, I remember you saying about fans who leave early etc.. boo there own team and you claimed to have the best support in the country because your "fans" didn't do it.

Tell you why they didn't do it, because nearly everything went to plan every season for the last 10. Now things are going a bit pair shaped and the championship is just about lost you have the same sort of fans as any other club.

Probably more than other clubs because IMO because of your recent success (last 10yrs) you probably have the biggest glory supporting fan base and if you don't win these people won't be fans anymore and that is the bottom line.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Agreed but since all this stuff with Rio and the Race Horse and all that crap Man U seem to have started on a bit of a downward spiral. OK, they are still 3rd in the league etc.. etc... but it does seem to be going a bit wrong for them. Do you agree???
    Well Godscop, I remember you saying about fans who leave early etc.. boo there own team and you claimed to have the best support in the country because your "fans" didn't do it.

Our real fans don't do that, however I've always said we have a number of fuckwit fans who manage to get tickets and then get on radio phone ins and talk shite, making the rest of us look like ****s.

Still never heard them booing though.

Our away support is the best in the country.

How many times have we heard this downward spiral/Fergies lost it stuff? Last time was when Arsenal won the league, we finished 3rd and Liverpool finished 2nd, season after we are champions so I don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up so early.

Arsenal will probably win the league now, because they deserve it.
    Still never heard them booing though.
    For starters, Leeds Game, all I have to say. Could hear them on the radio and it got commented on by the commentators.
    How many times have we heard this downward spiral/Fergies lost it stuff? Last time was when Arsenal won the league, we finished 3rd and Liverpool finished 2nd, season after we are champions so I don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up so early.
    You take me too literally. You've got to admit this season all of a sudden (last couple of weeks) it is all going wrong. Now I'm not saying that this is the end of Man U because I know about football and anyone who says that is stupid, don't get me wrong i hope it is the end of them but I know it isn't.
    I was commenting on and still believe it is something to do with all the crap that is going on behind the scenes. Non of us have and will ever be in a situation like playing for a pro football team where we are in the spotlight etc.. and we will never know for sure if things going on off the pitch affect there games massively. All we have to go on is current and ex players and all these say it does affect there game. Do you think this is why things have gone wrong in the last few weeks?? Obviously losing Rio would be a big loss to any team but it wasn't just losing him, it was everything surrounding it aswell.
    Well I was at the game v Leeds and I didn't hear any booing, nor have I heard it mentioned until now so I don't know.

Everyone has taken the eye off the ball, I've been banging on about takeover for months on this board and its been going on for 2 years.

I would guess the speculation is having an effect on the team, certainly from my perspective happenings on the pitch don't come anywhere near my concerns about who could possibly take control of the club. Rich Irishmen and Americans and anyone else for that matter are not wanted or needed, they will not take our club off us, if they try we will fight and never surrender.

The next few months could be the most important in our 126 year history.
    I would guess the speculation is having an effect on the team, certainly from my perspective happenings on the pitch don't come anywhere near my concerns about who could possibly take control of the club. Rich Irishmen and Americans and anyone else for that matter are not wanted or needed, they will not take our club off us, if they try we will fight and never surrender.
    I presume the players, especially the Man U born and bred players, will have the exact same views as yours and are worrying more about the takeover than actually playing and this could have a big affect on there games personally and as a team.
    Agreed but since all this stuff with Rio and the Race Horse and all that crap Man U seem to have started on a bit of a downward spiral. OK, they are still 3rd in the league etc.. etc... but it does seem to be going a bit wrong for them. Do you agree???

Not really, all teams have a bad patch (except Arsenal this year.. :mad: ) and this is ours. Shit happens, it's just coincidence that it is happening now.

A few years ago United lost 5-1 at Newcastle and then 6-3 at Sounthampton, with a couple of dodgy results around the same few weeks, and people said we were finished. Won the title that year though.

They said it when Fergie sold Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis. Won the double that year.

Harry Kewell said it when he signed for Liverpool - something about wanting to join a team going upwards, and that United were getting worse. Hmmm, seems to have got that right doesn't he :rolleyes:

Thing is United have been written off time and time again, and they turn around and prove people wrong.

Now I'm not saying that it will always be so. I'm old enough to remember when Liverpool were the dominant force and just look at them now. I just don't think that this is the start of the decline...

When you look at this team, and most of the reserves and kids, you can see players who would walk into most English clubs first-teams (possibly excluding Arsenal, but a few would do so there) and so I can't see anything but a still rosy future...
    these people won't be fans anymore and that is the bottom line.

Bollocks. Much as I hate the Trafford filth, they're loyal. When they were in the old D2 they still turned up in their thousands, just as Man City and Chelsea fans did.

Though I wouldn't be so uncritical of Fergie- I don't think he's lost his touch, but he has bought a lot of shit. Ronaldo can turn the same man six times, then crosses into the stand, Djemba-Djemba is a talentless clogger, Bellion is a Mackem reserve and Kleberson and Fletcher aren't fit to wear the shirt. And when you really needed a centre-half to replace the druggie he goes and buys a poor-man's version of Horseface.

I still wouldn't write them off in the long-term though. When Fergie and Keane retire I would, mind.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Bollocks. Much as I hate the Trafford filth, they're loyal. When they were in the old D2 they still turned up in their thousands, just as Man City and Chelsea fans did.
    Sorry but that is bolllocks because I'm talking about the large glory supporting fan base. What is a "glory supporter"?? Someone who follows glory and if Man U do start losing there edge they will lose fans.
    Fair enough there is the Old Trafford faithfuls, people who have followed Man U longer than the last 10yrs and they are like any other supporter of any club and they will obviously stick by Man U through good and bad. The Glory supporters however will not.
    Look we've had the highest attendances consistently since the second world war, they must all be glory hunters as we won shit loads in the 70s and 80s didn't we?

Kermit City fans are not loyal, its bullshit. A few years ago when they were in the second division they barely hit 3000 for a mid week game. Thats pathetic considering their fans are all supposed to live 5 mins from the ground! You seen a City game recently? They all go to the match dressed as blue plastic seats.
    Look we've had the highest attendances consistently since the second world war, they must all be glory hunters as we won shit loads in the 70s and 80s didn't we?

Kermit City fans are not loyal, its bullshit. A few years ago when they were in the second division they barely hit 3000 for a mid week game. Thats pathetic considering their fans are all supposed to live 5 mins from the ground! You seen a City game recently? They all go to the match dressed as blue plastic seats.

3000? I thought that sounded a bit iffy so I took the trouble to look it up.
    You must be talking about the 98/99 season then, yep average attendance for Man City was 28,273, not bad!

http://www.soccer-stats.com/divisions/attendances.asp?divno=3
    Thats an average attendance for the whole season, and its actually shit considering everyone in Manchester is supposed to support them :lol:

They did get 3007 for a game that season, over 800 were away fans!
    It that is true then it had to be a Cup game, mostly likely the auto windscreen rubbish cup. I think 28,000 is a huge number for Division 2!
    Re: Arsenal-title winners already?

In a word YES! I am a Man Utd fan but i have to hand it to them that they have fully deserved it, but just think if they had not had an abnormal season and had lost at least 2 games this season then this question WOULD NOT be asked at this point in the season. IF Arsenal had a normal season this season and not gone all this time unbeaten then United and Chelsea might be just a couple of points behind them or maybe even in front. I think that to win the championship you do have to have an element of luck on your side and Arsenal certainly have had that, i was at the Walkers Stadium for the Leicester-Arsenal game earlier this season and Leicester were by far the better team, and deservedly grabbed a last minute equaliser to draw 1-1, but i believe Arsenal should never have gotten a point out of that game! Arsenal champions? yes, arsenal to repeat this feat next season? No chance!:D
    Clementine - You make some valid points but that is the difference this season. To WIN every game in the season I don't think will have ever being done at this level. Everyone goes through a run of games at the top where results don't go as expected - Man U losing to Wolves, Drawing to Leeds etc.

If Arsenal win the league this year it is due to the fact that in these "bad" games they have scraped a point. Might not have deserved it but they have managed it and these points from scrappy draws have made the difference.

LUCK?? Obviously, no matter where you are in the league, luck in certain games plays a part. This IMO evens itself out over the season. So if I was asked "Were Arsenal lucky to win the league" (if they do) then my answer would be NO, because they have fully deserved to and when playing well they play some magic football.
    The best team throughout the season will be champions, no one has ever won the league through luck.