Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BTEC National Diploma Year 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm coming to the end of Year 2 of my BND in Care, which means I'll be finishing the course. I've got about 4 other Units to do, plus 2 compulsory units.

I was wondering if anyone on here is doing a BTEC National Diploma, and how you've found the work.

Doubt I'll find anyone but oh well!

At times it's been easy work, but mostly it's been stressful, being an 18 unit qualification. I've just finished my Integrated Vocational Assessment. It's a difficult piece of coursework you have to complete and pass to receive the qualification. I'm having kittens at the moment, waiting to know how I've done.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought it was pretty easy, easier than doing A levels anyway! No exams :D
    Originally posted by Faith
    I thought it was pretty easy, easier than doing A levels anyway! No exams :D

I'd rather do an exam than a 4000 word piece of coursework any day!

It's ALL assessed by coursework, which means if you do much better in exams than Unit work you are screwed. It gets very mind-numbing after a while. Endless essays.
    I did a diploma and everyone who hasent done one seems to think its easier than A Levels but its seriously just not true the assignments just pile up i once had about 7 on the go at once and its all assessed on these assignments so you have no choice but do them...or you fail! Whereas with exams you have all year to prepare and revise then do them at the end. No fair
    Hey, your not the only one.

Im doing an ND in Media,Communications and Production. The course is 18 units spread over two years. Its a crap loada work and you sometimes find yourself up to your neck in deadlines and about 10 pieces of essay to do or projects. Its good that its portfolio work so youll have a stack load to go to uni interview with.

It is very hard but i find it a good challenge for high marks and a shit loada work.

PEace ,

K

Tiesto is god!!!
    im doing an HND in sports science. its a pathway to a degree in that i will get straight into 2nd year. but i did A levels before that and i would say HND is harder. well its 3rd level for a start, HND is equivalent to 1st year of uni so its higher education, i think the HND comes after the BTEC ND. but i had 8 assignments to hand in all at the one time there before xmas and now i have 8 again to do for may...its hell!! but good luck...oops that didnt really help kinda pointless but oh well
    I did a BTEC National Diploma in Media Production (finished with a distinction :) ), and now I'm at university doing Film Studies.

I think a lot of people started the course thinking it would be easy peasey, and got quite a nasty shock when they discovered they couldn't be further from the truth!

Of my friends that have gone into work rather than uni, it is difficult to give an accurate depiction of how well they're doing. The media is notoriously difficult to get into, and I feel that for many people by the time they left college they no longer had any passion for working in it.

There were quite a few who went on to some good universities, and this shall hopefully reflect on us later on. I do worry though that when it comes to applying for jobs I won't be taken as seriously as other people with A Levels, despite the fact that I have worked just as hard for my BTEC, and it counts the same as three A Levels...

We will see.

Katie x :)
    For the record:

I studied the following back in the day when I was a student:

BTEC Nat in Business Studies - Dropped out after a year... Sick of it.
    BTEC Nat in Music Technology - Dropped out after 1.5 years... Sick of it.
    A-Levels: Law, Business Studies + Computer Science - Dropped out after a bit... Found it boring and easy.

I have to say that in my studying of them all, the BTEC were by far the hardest! More work etc, you just didn't have all that bollocks stress that A-Level's supposedly give you with the exams (I don't stress about things like that). It does annoy me when A-Level students think themselves superior than the BTEC Nat students. I found that the BTECs were also a lot more "Real World" in their working methods.

What I didn't like was that so much of the marks was based upon the shitty planning that had to be done (usually on the bus on the way to school). That is a bit bullshitty.

Oh - to clarify... I didn't drop out due to being a numpty, I just dislike studying... SOOOO not inclined that way. Oh - and I'm doing pretty well for myself even after wasting so much time. Self employed Planning and Metrics Engineer at Nokia (basically worked up from being a test analyst). Aaaiiiii!