Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GCSE is fucking my head in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay my GCSE's are starting to fuck with my head, as I had time off with operations and medical conditions I have fallen behind in coursework I have lots to do and little time to do it.

People don't seem to relise how much things are getting to me and added along with stress of home and a social life it's doing my fucking head in and I can't take anymore

:( :crying: :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I cant say I had an exactly fun time during my GCSE's either, or my A-levels for that matter.

Try and talk to your school about the problem.

Being a teenager is shite, but in the main it does improve.
    You could try making a revision/coursework timetable...breaking it down into little bits. Or start doing the smaller or more enjoyable pieces of work first, get them out of the way. Having less things to do doesnt seem as bad.

Most importantly, try not to panic. I know its hard, but just tell yourself there is no point in panicing about having lots to do and that you WILL get it done. You will.

Have lots of breaks too.

Everyone studies differently, but maybe that helps a little bit. Good luck! :)
    Yeah I feel for you... I don't wanna go back to those days again!

On the bright side, I 'enjoyed' my A-Level years (apart from the last month) more than my GCSEs, so the really shit bit is nearly over!
    I know how you feel, I've fallen a bit behind.

But really, if you work hard enough you'll catch up. It's a hard slog but worth it in the end.

GCSE's are nothing, mate. :p
    I was like you i had to have loads of time off school just before the exams but the thing is theres nothing anyone can do so the only thing you can do is work your ass off until they are over and then recover at the end of it.
    Worked for me anyway and im still alive
    Think of the nice long break after your exams, that always works for me. Work your arse off, and for me it helped taking a 3 day weekend to get that c/w in and done on time............ Not that I condone taking time of school at such an important time.

Bopz

Take a 3 day w/e or if you cant work the weekend take wed/thur off as everyone will be at school so therfore less destractions.
    no offence, but you need to snap out of this, GCSE's are really important and i know youve had a lot of time off, but you can keep pitying yourself, i had a lot of time off in 5th year and missed a lot of coursework, im not overly intellignet, but i had to snap out of it and work hard as i realised how important they are, i did really well and you can do that if you're trying to take the easy way out, hell, i could was offered by the doctor a note so that i didnt have to take them, but i would have felt like an utter loser for quitting, i did well (4 highers) and i wouldnt have achieved that otheriwse, just study your ass off now because its gonna pay off i swear

xx
    do you really wanna give up now and say that after 11 years of school you have nowt to show for it?
    i know i sure as hell dont.

the thing is - when you go for a job and they ask about your qualifications - even if you explain about social/family problems - they still arent gonna hire you unless you have the grades

my advise is basically what everyone else has said - leave the partying etc to the losers - spend a couple of weeks working real hard to get the coursework done, they're the easy points. theres only 8 school weeks til study leave, so the sooner the better.
    when i did mine i had been badly bullied since my 1st year of secondary school. This messed my GCSE's up... i didnt do that well, and i regret not putting more into my work, i paniced because i had so much work, and everyone hurting and hating me. All i can say is whats already been said. Just do your work in bits, and try not to panic, if it helps stay in over lunch and do parts of work. Just make yourself a weekly time table of what to do and set times out for work, and friends. My friends did this and they did well.

:) hope you do well hunny xxxxxxx
    To be honest mate, you need 5 GCSEs (a-cs) and thats it.

Maths, English and Science have to be included.

Just get coursework out of the way asap and start revising an hour a night. You'll do fine :)
    I found coping with all the coursework for my GCSE's extremely hard and I'm sure it must be awful if you've missed some time off school.
    Go and talk to your form tutor about it, Tell him/her that you are finding it tough going,They might suggest ways to help with the work. Whilst I was in my last yr of GCSE's I got so frazzled that I had to make myself a timetable for revision and a list of all the coursework I had to do and when it had to be done by, Try to prioratise.
    Good luck and I'm sure you will get it all done!
    :)
    Go see your head of school. They will help you if they can, i missed all of year 11 due to illness, and they were really helpful - extended my deadlines as late as they possibly could, let me drop a couple of GCSE's so i could concentrate on the ones i needed, and i got through it. I worked bloody hard, but i ended up with 8 GCSE's and i'm now at uni :) You can do it, it's just a lot of a slog.
    unless you want to be a doctor, all you need is science,maths and english and you can still fail them to do A-Level, don't worry about them, just do the work needed and you'll be dead on.
    I think im jus about on top of everythin, part from Graphics whcih I am strugglin wiv. But thats my fault anyhow. Started my revision( Like:banghead: ) But a real good revision site is bitesize. U don't even have to revise, jus test urself an if u do crap, revise the topic, if u don't whats the point???
    I had problems (very bad depression amongst other more personal things) which meant that from half way through year 10 i didnt go to school. Ever. Didnt do half the coursework, a few pieces i did a bit of at home and posted in.

But at the end of the day, i pulled through fair enough the grades werent as great as i was predicted at the start of year 10 but i passed.

Thing is, you are the only person who can pull yourself through. You have to sit and really think, really push yourself and snap yourself out of it. It can be done. I do feel for you, but all the time you sit there and feel bad, and pissed off at the way your life is youre making it worse and youre not helping yourself.
  • White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by Henny
    To be honest mate, you need 5 GCSEs (a-cs) and thats it.

Maths, English and Science have to be included.

Just get coursework out of the way asap and start revising an hour a night. You'll do fine :)

:yes: , as long as you go on to uni.

i guess if you don't go then employers will still look back at your gcse results, even with A levels
    I was bullied by everyone from Reception to Year 11. I had no real friends, nearly killed myself, and ended up getting 9 A-C and 1 E.

Once you get the good results you will see it's all been worth it. 2 years after doing the damn things I'm still proud I got on with it and passed. I showed I fought my demons and got through as a stronger person.

As someone else said, BBC Bitesize is brilliant. I went on the message boards every night from March-September of 2002. Really helped me. There will be loads of people your age doing the same courses and there to help you.

Don't worry about your social life now, you're going to have at least 2 months after your GCSEs to party on down! Now you've got to pass some GCSEs, or you will regret it.
    I'm like that at the mo. I don't go to school, can't do coursework, bullied by people who think they're bigger than me. Meh.

The thing is, my counsillor says if I start to work my ass off, it'll effect me more cus I'll start to resent school and the people and teachers in it. I have a lot of issues and they all effect school stuff, but school stuff effects everyone else.

You should never have to work around school. Your school should always work around you.

Nomi *on her moral high ground*
    XxxXxxX
    Originally posted by Nomi
    I'm like that at the mo. I don't go to school, can't do coursework, bullied by people who think they're bigger than me. Meh.

The thing is, my counsillor says if I start to work my ass off, it'll effect me more cus I'll start to resent school and the people and teachers in it. I have a lot of issues and they all effect school stuff, but school stuff effects everyone else.

You should never have to work around school. Your school should always work around you.

Nomi *on her moral high ground*
    XxxXxxX

Thats what I thought but since my mother almost got prosecuted so I've had to go back.. INTO lessons..which is a fucking bumber.. still getting loadsa shit and.. Im struggling VERY very badly..

It's hard:(.. I feel.. bad

Thank you everyone.
    I'm pissed off with gcses atm. I mean if i'm going to uni they're worth fuck all --> they only check out your a-levels (please correct me if i'm wrong peeps)

I mean, im sloggin my ass out now for things I am never going to fucking use - geology? Sorry but if i go into that as a job I'd end up commiting murder (no offence to rocks or other geologists btw)

I wouldn't worry too much m8, from what I can gather the gcses aren't really worth anything. If you're going to uni they'll look at your A levels and if your not going to college the chances are GCSE's won't be worth much.

Oh and btw. If you need any help at all hellfire just PM me and I'll give you as much help as possible (I do spanish n french languages if you need help in those also)

I'll PM you my MSN :D
    I know same here, I'm going uni don't need GCSE's

I don't need no GCSE if I get my GNVQ merit but It's alot bloody easyer

out of

tech
    history
    geography
    science - double
    math
    statistics
    english
    litriture
    ict GNVQ

I only need my GNVQ pass/merit and one maybe two Gcse's but Instead I'll have 9gcse's and a gnvq.
    Originally posted by solid_L
    I'm pissed off with gcses atm. I mean if i'm going to uni they're worth fuck all --> they only check out your a-levels (please correct me if i'm wrong peeps)
    I'm afraid some unis do look at your GCSE results. And if your AS Levels aren't so good it's really useful to have good GCSE results to show them. It depends entirely on the uni but some really do care. Especially about the 3 core subjects, which they like you to have passed at least.
    yea suppose piccolo, but i think a levels are 10 times more important...
    My subjects I do are:

Maths
    English lit
    English Lang (every1 does both these english i think)
    science - triple
    french
    spanish
    geology
    short course electronics
    short course IT
    I know to do a Nursing diploma you need at least 5 GCSEs, for anyone out there who's interested.
    But don't you need GCSEs to get into A levels? If so, then theya recrucial, because without them you won't get into uni. It was the same with my standard grades. Totally useless now, but at the time I wouldn't have gotten into higher classes without good passes at SG.
    I've managed to get all my english coursework done now... got all 4 essays done.

still another 8 pieces to do though.. time starting to run out now, both maths pieces, both history pieces (the deadline is next friday), 2 science pieces, resitant materials coursework and also music composition..

I'm fucked. :(
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    But don't you need GCSEs to get into A levels? If so, then theya recrucial, because without them you won't get into uni. It was the same with my standard grades. Totally useless now, but at the time I wouldn't have gotten into higher classes without good passes at SG.

Not really, my English teacher told me some of the "better" schools took a class of really bright kids and just concentrated on Highers from third year onwards!
    My comments were about when I was at school. I know things are changing now, and I know they're introducing Int 1 and 2 to 2nd years classes. But there should still be some streaming process, otherwise pupils will get disillusioned thinking 'What's the point' it doesn't mean anything. I know I did when I did more highers in 6th year when I already had an unconditional from Glasgow...
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow

Exactly, and if you fail your GCSEs youre going to find a levels in relevent subjects harder (thats if they let you take them) so GCSEs are more important.

On the upside, i have found AS levels easier than GCSEs (although its not the same for some of my friends), and all my mates at uni or finished uni have said degrees were a piece of piss too.