Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

biting my lips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cant stop biting the inside of my lips and cheeks. Its totally gross, but i cant stop nibbling. Its addictive and once you start....

I chew gum a lot, so maybe its when im not doing that i need something else to chew on...??:yuck:

Anyways...i know heaps of people do this, but anyone got any tips on stopping except "will power"? -> i mean sometimes i dont realise im doing it until ive nibbled all over :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    i do this all the time. i play trumpet so my cheek muscles are bigger than most peoples and so the inside of my cheeks rest between my teeth if i dont make effort for them not to be there.
    i dunno why i do it, mostly its when im nervous :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yup, i do this too, and i also chew my lips on the inside and outside and pick at them until they bleed, much to the annoyance of myself and most people who know me.

with me it's so compulsive that i've never found anything to stop it, but apparently something that can work is if you wear an elastic band around your wrist, and ask people you know to twang it every time they see you chewing. apparently your brain then associates the habit with the pain. but i don't know if this works. it didn't for me. and my poor wrist got very sore. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i dunno why i do it, mostly its when im nervous :rolleyes:

i do it when I'm bored or can't get to sleep :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    apparently something that can work is if you wear an elastic band around your wrist, and ask people you know to twang it every time they see you chewing. apparently your brain then associates the habit with the pain. but i don't know if this works. it didn't for me. and my poor wrist got very sore. :(
    Well, of course it won't work. I mean, if associating a sore wrist with something you find compulsive by using aversion therapy worked, then it would've stopped me masturbating years ago. :D

On a more serious note, I've been grinding my teeth a bit lately. I know it started last August when I went through a stressful week at work that nearly broke me. :( I've been doing it less and less though by simply catching, and stopping, myself from doing it. So it's will power I'm afraid.
    At least when you know you have a problem you can start working on stopping it.