Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Which University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Any one been to the following Universitys and would they recommend it.
Edinburgh
Stirling
Aberdeen
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Visited Edinburgh Uni; lovely place, and my mates there love it.

Bit chilly though...

Dunno about the other two.
    i stayed on the campus at stirling once, seemed a nice place, the town itself is perhaps a bit small... not sure about how good the uni is though
    Ok currently i'm studying at edinburgh, but at home I live about 15minutes away from Stirling so I've experienced both.

Edinburgh is fantastic, the nightlife is great 95% of the time and the cities a nice size, you can walk just about anywhere you're going to want to go in about 30 mins. I stay in halls and Princes street is perhaps 25mins walk away or 5 by bus. Theres a good range of clubs and bars all over the joint and although the unions aren't fantastic, at least not compared to strathclyde the potterow ( thats one of the buildings) can be a decent night if you're hammered and with some mates.

Halls wise they're pretty good, I don't know if you've visited pollock halls but it's pretty good. Most of the buildings are above average, and one (chancellors court) is unbelievable, it could pass for a 3 star hotel - infact it does offterm when they rent it out to journalists for the festival etc.

Any other quesitions you've got feel free to ask.

Stirling on the other hand is a complete and utter dump. The town itself is a nasty little place full of neds. Admitedly it's getting better but clubbing in and around Stirling is very very poor. You'd struggle to count more than 5 clubs, and most of those are tacky, chewing gum on the carpet kind of places. The actual university isn't exactly fantastic, the halls are piss poor, being designed by the same man as some soviet prisons and a fair walk from anywhere decent. Not a fun place at all.

I've only seen a tiny wee bit of Aberdeen's nightlife - namely the Priory nightclub but what I did see was pretty good and I have mates up there who love it.

My tupence worth.
    hey ya upset chap. Thanks thats helpful information. Was thinking that I would stay in self catering accomidation cause i don't eat a lot of meat just chickean and fish. Do you know how this accomidation is? I also how safe do you feel in the area (Edinburgh)? Is it rough or not? How safe do you feel in the flats? Just checking hehe. Edinburgh I have visited just not sure about the location of the accomidation and ive seen the university. Also i heared that Edinburgh has a lot of 'Yas' what do you think about this?
    Originally posted by angel1886
    hey ya upset chap. Thanks thats helpful information. Was thinking that I would stay in self catering accomidation cause i don't eat a lot of meat just chickean and fish. Do you know how this accomidation is? I also how safe do you feel in the area (Edinburgh)? Is it rough or not? How safe do you feel in the flats? Just checking hehe. Edinburgh I have visited just not sure about the location of the accomidation and ive seen the university. Also i heared that Edinburgh has a lot of 'Yas' what do you think about this?

I'm not really sure about the self-catering accomodation at edinburgh, but the fully catered halls i.e Pollock halls always have at least half the menu as vegetarian, and they rarely have any meat other than chicken and fish so your sorted in that respect.

Safety wise it's excellent, I certainly feel safer than walking anywhere in Stirling. As a student you tend to stick around the same parts of edinburgh. If you're in pollock halls then you're going to spend your time mostly walking through Newington which doesn't feel unsafe at all. Obviously I'm speaking from a males perspective but I've never had any problems walking down to the Alldays 15mins away at 3 in the morning. In this area neds are virtually non-existant - infact I don't reckon I've seen more than 4 or 5 since last September. Princes Street area is always packed anyway so thats not a problem and if you ever feel uneasy there's plenty of taxis.

Lol at hearing about the yahs. Yes there are loads, a large proportion of Pollock Halls is comprised of English Public School pupils, some of whom are arrogant and pretentious, but just as many are perfectly decent people, and theres just as many scots and irish.

If you're worrying about the location of the halls then don't, honestly. It's hard to convey without you actually living hear but rest assured you'll never feel isolated from whats going on. And arthurs seat is great - last november the 5th most of pollock halls climbed to the top to watch the fireworks - seeing a couple of thousand people setting off fireworks on the plateau was great.
    Is the accomidation all in a similar area? Pretty paranoid bout feeling safe live totally in a v. rural area so it will be strange.
    Is the accomidation all in a similar area? Pretty paranoid bout feeling safe live totally in a v. rural area so it will be strange.

Yeh, there isn't any accomodation in a rural area.

Edinburgh is so safe its like living in a village. Students walk around the studenty areas at 1-5am and ive never heard of anyone ever having trouble of any kind!

Safe as houses really!
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Edinburgh is so safe its like living in a village. Students walk around the studenty areas at 1-5am and ive never heard of anyone ever having trouble of any kind!

Safe as houses really!

Took the word right out my mouth.