Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

God...Tom Stopard and an idea

I went to see Jumpers last night, which some of you might know is a Tom Stopard play, it wasnt very good, but there was a very interesting idea in the middle.

If we are able to understand that time will keep going on infinately infront of us, why not behind us as well. Is it surely only our inability to concieve of there being no starting place that makes us believe there is a god?

Just a thought.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes it is an interesting theory that if you think too much about it your head gets fucked up and you get scared shitless about dying, anyway, there has to be a reason for everything and at the itme God was the reaosn for the beginning etc but who was there before God, it is now agreed that time is infinite both ways but i don't think no human brain will ever master the concept of time, can anyone here really explain time, (please don't mention seconds or hours)
  • Options
    According to Christian text, there is a starting place.
  • Options
    turlough mentioned there about whenever you sit and think that some day your going to die and time is going to go on and on....is it really or are we just going to go into the ground and that's it.

Who was there before God? No one knows..there must have been something...we will all find the truth out sometime.
  • Options
    The truth is out there! ;)
  • Options
    God is dead...and we killed him.
  • Options
    there was no one before God. God was always there.

it says in Genesis,
    in the begining God created the earth.

these are the things that we arent supposed to understand, but when we find out we'll probably like "ah right, that was it..."
  • Options
    Both religious and scientific beliefs indicate that there IS a starting place, whether one believes that the universe was created in 7 days or started with a Big Bang.

Personally, I think that both creation and Big Bang theories are true, and that the seven days refer to seven time periods not seven days literally. Evolution would indicate this.

That, or go with H2G2, and the belief that if the meaning of the universe is discovered then it will be replaced by something even more bizarre, and that this might already have happened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud

it says in Genesis,

yes and genesis also said god created earth in seven days, it also said he made the sun on the 3rd day i think, BULLSHIT, what constitutes a day without the sun, nice one whoever wrote it, the bible is certainly sumthing to avoid wen talking about the earth and its creation, so is 99% of the "scientific" theories out there, the truth is that humans will never understand time
  • Options
    according to the bible god is the alpha and the omega ...the begining and the end ...timeless. god had no begining.
    the big bang ties in nicely with the bible statement that everything was created through gods dynamic energy ...being thousands of years old ...the statement dynamic energy is quite something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud

it says in Genesis,

But if the Bible is a collection of written accounts of real events then Genesis is a bloody miracle. Why?

Eve was created from Adam's rib, right? So technically that means that they share the same set of genes and are effectively clones. So if the first two human beings ever were clones then how do we describe genetic differences seen today?

Then we have the question of if this really happened, it would have existed in prehistoric times, Adam and Eve would have had no way of documenting their lives or keeping a diary because they had nothing but their nudity. True, they ate from the tree of life but keep in mind the garden of Eden, if my knowlege serves me correctly is situated in the middle east. Wasn't the first ever paper invented in Egypt?

Ok... so further more, looking at linguistics Adam and Eve would have spoken in an ancient language and even if it were hebrew, dialect and other features would have changed over time, so even if evidence was found of ancient writings, then at the time it would probably have been impossible to translate.

So the only source in my opinion they would have got the idea from is through word of mouth, which is extremely unreliable or by divine inspiration, even more unreliable than the latter. Because inspiration is felt in a different way for everybody. We all have our own perceptions and realities.

Just an opinion.