Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drug testing in schools?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondered if people thought this was a good idea.................?

Comments

• Options
    No because drugs result in exclusion from school.

Knowing they could be excluded isnt going to stop many teens doing drugs, teens think that theyre unbeatable. I know, i was one of them, still am i guess.

So, they get tested, found positive and thrown out of school so have nothing.

Doing random drugs searches in bags or lockers i have no problem with. But tests i am against.
  • Options
    This is a terrible idea, yes it may well deter some users from smoking cannabis on an occational basis, but it will make no difference to the problem users who just dont care.

I have mentioned it before but, the gulf between the current young drug users and the police is deeply concerning for the social make up of 5-10 years time. This will make it 100's of times worse, sniffer dogs in schools for gods sake!

This money should be spent on drugs education, this is politics by Tabloid, truely sickening.

Heres the story from the BBC, it mentions that a Government grant for drugs education has just been cancelled and now they bring this in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3511611.stm
  • Options
    i think this idea is terrible, if a student is getting A's in all subjects but likes to take the occassional toke then he might get expelled, therefore wrecking his life and wasting a talent, however, i'm sure there are many stupid students who've never taken drugs but doubt they'll get the same attention as the drug users, i think schools should focus on what's important, education and not drugs or appearence , uniform etc
  • Options
    No way, this should not be brought in at all.

Say there's someone who gets good grades but everynight has a smoke after their work and some weekends takes ecstacy or some other drug then gets tested in school and these drugs turn up in their system, they are fucked, expelled and for what? enjoying themselves at the weekend.

If a student is caught in school stoned or smoking a joint then the school should have the option to drug test the pupil or not, but not random drug tests.
  • Options
    I`ve yet to find anyone that thinks this drug testing madness is the way to go!
  • Options
    No way, there's so many 'normal' people out there that you wouldn't have the slighest clue that they are smoking weed most of their lives and other things.
  • Options
    Definitely not, there is no correlation between light drug use and performance in school as far as I'm concerned. I smoked weed on an occasional basis for two years during my GCSEs and I got 4 A*s, 2 As and 3 Bs. Schools should be doing more to help if children have a serious drugs problem rather than just kicking them out of school.
  • Options
    right....theres something about this random drug testing thing im confused about....

theyre saying "right lets test all the kids in school".....and if your in school then your below 16 right? ....it was my understanding that no one can do anything to a "child" under 16 without parents permission....i mean, all sorts of things need your parents permission when your below 16....so how exactly are these random tests gonna be carried out?...if they have to ask your parents first it aint random......plus, even if they dont need your parents permission, isnt this like an infringement on some kind of basic right to privacy or sumthing?
    i agree with the searching of schools etc....i mean if your dumb enough to have anything on you/be taking something on school grounds, then you kinda deserve to be bollocked......but as for testing ppl , that just aint right...
  • Options
    All this crap only seems to be coming to light after cannabis was downgraded to Class C..... coincidence i think not!
  • Options
    my first reaction was yes this can only be a good thing. having read todays paper and more so having listened to you lot ...i have now changed my mind ...it has to be a bad road to go down.
  • Options
    This will not be done randomly though will it, it would be FAR far to costly to randomly test all pupils, just put them in a hat and pull a name out.

So it will have to be done on the teachers perception of drug users, Hmmm, do think maybe racism and sterotyping might come into that?!

If a student is not doing well in their studies then you need to sit them down by themselves and ask them what is up. Ask them how the school can help and then try and give them that help. If they are having problems with drugs then HELP them with that, dont just bloody exclude them.
  • Options
    All in all it's not an idea with a lot of merit. A <i>slightly</i> better idea would be to test if the kids were on any drugs while at school, rather than if they had taken any drugs recently...
    Remember what random drug tests did in prisons? -> stop people smoking pot (in your blood for a month +) and start them taking smack (in your blood for 48 hours).

Now, random drug tests for the teachers... there may be something in that....
  • Options
    But there are no proper tests to know whether someone is intoxicated by the drugs.
  • Options
    It would only be used in schools that have a drug problem.

Drug problems can cause risk not only to the person using them, but to the teachers and other students who could suffer from a violent streak.

Good Idea IMO - it wont happen though.
  • Options
    All the teachers and all the drug workers I've spoken to are dead against it.