Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fail the year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, so it looks like I'm going to the fail the year in style, anyone got any idea how I get myself onto a new cource hopefully with a lot less lecture time! I don't think I have to do the UCAS thing all over again, as im only changing cource not uni. I really have no idea.........

Bopz:rolleyes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    if you're changing courses within the uni, it's fairly straightforward. i did it with no particular stresses.

approach the department you want to switch to, and ask them about admissions. if they have room on their course, and you have the right qualifications, then you will most likely be able to swap.

because you are so far into the academic year, you'll probably have to start again in september from scratch, but i suspect you knew that anyway.

then go see either a personal tutor, if you have one, or an on campus careers advisor. they'll be able to advise you on the transfer process.

for me it was as easy as phoning the new department, securing a place, getting a form from my home department, getting it filled in and signed by the old and new department, and then handing it in to some admin office in one of the departments, and i was transferred across.
  • Options
    History/Politics is awesome for timetabled hours. I've got 7 hours one week and 11 the next. Of course, that means it requires self-motivation to actually do anything, so I expect I'll be in your position come June.
  • Options
    The major amount of lecture time is annoying and also they way the cource is assesed. 12 exams a year! :crazyeyes

I spoke to my department and she pointed me in the right direction, she said I am around 2 grades short, but if i dont tell them and blag it well they will let me in. Also she will give me a nice ref if they want one :)

Bopz
  • Options
    Hey im in the same boat!
    But im gonna change uni so i had to go through ucas again, re-write my personal statement and send it off. I would expect you would have to do the same but i might be wrong. See a careersadvisor in your uni. Dont worry about the finance side though, cause apparently it will be classed as a false start, so no major changes will be made! Goodluck xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by **Cinderella**
    Dont worry about the finance side though, cause apparently it will be classed as a false start, so no major changes will be made!

check this with the local authority who pays your fees.

when i changed, leeds city council advised me that they only offer 4 years of fee support, so, considering i'd already been there a year, if i wanted to repeat a year, or if i wanted to do a 4 year course, they would not support me after the next 3 years, and i would have to pay the private tution fees, which were about £2000 a year, instead of the £1100 standard they have atm.

it might be different for different authorities. but do check. also remember to advise them that you're changing.